Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 9, 2011
I loved this story, and Molly Gumnut. She's a delightful little heroine along the lines of Ramona Quimby, and just as likely to get into trouble. I adored her relationship with the little bandicoot, Furble. The climax of the story is engrossing and endearing, and I truly despised the antagonist, Gretchen.

I highly recommend this book - and if you've got kids, read it out loud with them! They will love Molly, and if Australian they will enjoy reading stories set in their own culture and climate, and if not Australian will enjoy learning more about that wonderful place.
on June 17, 2011
Great story for Middle Grade. Kids will be hooked and parents will enjoy.
Cute concept with a wonderful example of how kids learn from their own mistakes.
I purchased this book as one of my first books on my kindle. Finished it in a night!!

Refreshing story with little bursts of humour that's applicable to kids and adults.
I highly recommend and the price is too cheap to argue otherwise!!
on May 19, 2011
I purchased this e-book for my kids who are age 7 and 9. We all LOVED Molly. She has such a passion for animals. She rescues a bandicoot from a cat and nurses it back to health. The story is brilliantly funny, amusing, sweet, and a fantastic read. Molly captured our hearts with her compassion, humor, and personality. She gets into all kinds of trouble, all in the name of saving this wonderful animal. This author has a special way of reaching children with humor and creativity. My son seems to get bored easily when reading, but he was totally entertained, as well as my daughter. I highly enjoyed it and I know people of any age will, too. This book was a pure delight!
on June 14, 2011
Molly is quite a character that you will grow to love very much.
She acts silly at times but she has a big heart. When she rescues the baby bandicoot, she goes all the way to make sure the bandicoot is safe and 'bulldoze' anyone else that comes in the way. Molly is sure to stir up you emotions deep inside. She'll make you smile, laugh,and sad. It's a must read for all adventurous kids and adults as well.
on November 28, 2011
The key to a child's heart is often as elusive to adults as the secrets to health, wealth and happiness, but Patricia Puddle seems to have an instinctive knack for knowing not just what a young person thinks but also what she feels.

While taking photos for a middle-grade nature project, Molly Gamnut encounters an injured bandicoot and has no choice but to save it from the evil cat Tiddles who lives next door. Of course, she's smitten with her new friend and wheedles her way into spending time with it at her Grandma Lilly's home. But it isn't until her grandmother and father insist that Furble the Bandicoot must return to nature that Molly's true colors begin to show. You'll laugh as she leaps from dustups with seemingly all of her relatives as well as the school bully Gretchen Bloomfield, Mrs. Wilson next door and even her school's Principal.

Watching this lovable but troublesome young girl stumble from one huge mistake to the next will thrill readers of all ages, and it's likely that most will relate to the many problems she creates for herself while desperately seeking a way to keep her furry new friend safe.

Appropriate for all ages, I highly recommend this fun book from down under.
on April 25, 2011
on March 24, 2015
A wonderful adventure story about a little girl who falls in love with a tiny wild animal she names Furble. He's been injured but when he gets better, she wants to keep in her garden, but of course she's not allowed. There's some great information about bandicoots and I love how there are so many pictures of little Furble as they show his actual size and how he sleeps and eats. I also loved the funny expressions on Molly's face when she gets into trouble, which is rather a lot. And her little sister Rosie, was a funny character as well. Reading this story made me want to visit Australia as I felt like I was there in the Australian bush with Molly & Furble. I recommend this book for boys as well as girls as it's full of humor and adventure.
on September 23, 2013
Molly Gumnut rescues a baby bandicoot, Furble from the claws of a neighbor's cat. The local vet treats the injured bandicoot, and then the little marsupial goes to stay with Molly's grandmother, a wildlife rehabilitator, until his wounds can heal. Molly, of course, falls in love with the little animal and wants to keep him. She is horrified when Grandma insists "Furble" will soon be released back to the same spot where Molly found him, so he can rejoin his family. However, the cat that attacked the baby bandicoot will still be there, waiting.
Determined to do what she feels is best for Furble, Molly constantly gets herself into trouble while she tackles numerous setbacks. She eventually kidnaps Furble from her grandmother. However, while seeking a safe home for the little bandicoot, events go horribly awry, putting both Furble and Molly in grave danger.
Molly is mischievous and laugh-out-loud funny, intelligent and compassionate, yet remains a normal child with normal child concerns and behavior. As an American, I loved reading about the Australian wildlife. I loved that this book is also educational, and that it emphasizes the importance of native animals in the environment. I thoroughly enjoyed this hilarious, well-written book. It had a wonderful plot, and was chock full of photos of a baby bandicoot and numerous other illustrations. This is a book that kids will read over and over.
on March 14, 2015
Before I read this book my knowledge of a bandicoot was confined to a distant recollection of an old computer game called Crash Bandicoot.
In fact a bandicoot is a marsupial, an infraclass of mammals which carry their young in a pouch---except that a baby bandicoot’s mother has an upside-down pouch and no, the baby bandicoot doesn’t fall out because unlike a kangaroo, its mother walks not on two legs but on all four. Why an upside down pouch, then? Well, it’s to prevent baby bandicoot from getting sprayed with soil when mummy digs the earth with her forelimbs to find food. How wonderful is evolution, no?
There is so much that a writer must painstakingly develop when introducing a human character in order to successfully create empathy with the reader; Tone of voice. Gestures. Facial expressions. Speech, which includes accent, way of speaking and exactly what is said. Physical appearance. Dress. Background. Likes and dislikes.Twitches and mannerisms. You name it, a writer has to get everything just so to create that essential bond that makes the reader begin to care what happens to that character. But not so with an animal, and the smaller the animal the better. All you have to do is to describe a bandicoot’s big brown eyes, its long snout and cuddly size, and you’ve already done enough to get the reader hooked. Instant emotional connection. Hardly any effort required. Not surprising that evolution is at work here, too. For we are all protective of the smaller, the weaker, the more vulnerable, for how else would they survive if we were not so? Good old evolution. Where would we be without it!
And, as the title suggests, this engrossing book is all about a young girl’s trials and tribulations when trying to protect and preserve a tiny creature no bigger than a mouse and very much resembling a shrew.
The younger we are, the stronger our passions, our emotions and sensitivities, and therefore the greater our inability to objectively deal with hurt and injury---which is only one of the reasons why it is so important for parents to be kind to their children. Molly is a typical girl of her age, and I found her behaviour in no way odd or extreme. At great risk to herself and much inconvenience to the people in her life she champions the cause of a creature little bigger than her thumb. And, grown up as I am, I could understand every move she made. Every step she took. So immersed was I that I grew increasingly vexed with the grown-ups (patient though they were) for not seeing everything quite from Molly’s point of view.
Expertly leaving the ending of each chapter on a cliff-hanger, the author takes the reader on a roller coaster ride of highs and lows---but here’s the rub---she managed to keep even a developing cynic like me from predicting how the story would end, tragically or happily. It could have gone either way. And I was kept guessing until the end. I can think of no higher compliment to this writer’s abilities than to acknowledge her talent at keeping me in this state of anxious and bitter-sweet limbo until the very last page. Excellent pacing. My interest never flagged. My connection with every character only increased as I turned the pages. Young girls will find this book utterly absorbing, of that I have no doubt. I mean, look what it did to me!
on January 28, 2012
A comfortable and comforting story about the importance of animals and children to our environment, "Molly Gumnut Rescues a Bandicoot" introduces two young girls who care about preserving the environment, doing their part through nature photography for a class calendar. The girls try their best, though sometimes their best photo opportunities are interrupted by human intervention, such as passing speedboats. Then one of the girls, Molly, discovers a neighbor's cat planning to make dinner of a bandicoot. She may not know the exact species name, but she does know enough to identify it as a marsupial, and to notice that it is injured. Out of a kind heart, Molly determines to take the poor animal home and enlists her father to help.

In the time-honoured tradition of children everywhere, Molly wants to keep the little fellow, even though her Grandmother is an approved wildlife rescuer, and will know how to protect and care for him until his re-release into the wild. A bandicoot is a protected native animal in Australia, and like other rescued animals, is released into the wild whenever possible, to return to its native habitat.

The author skillfully works in the everyday reality of children this age, including a warm, noncompetitive friendship, and the school social climber from a wealthy family, who chooses poor Molly as the brunt of her disparagement. Neither is Molly drawn as a perfect character, but she is a caring, compassionate girl, and realistic in her behavior and attitudes.

Short but speedy chapters make this an enterprising novel for children from the level of new chapter readers up through middle school years. Additional information on the nature and behavior of bandicoots (and other animals) is woven throughout the story, making this an educational adventure for young readers-and their parents and grandparents as well. The book is richly illustrated with photos from the author. I highly recommend this and anticipate future stories from this author.

Molly Gumnut Rescues a Bandicoot (Adventures of Molly Mavis Gumnut)