5.0 out of 5 stars A Well Made Toy! (UPDATED)
Published on December 29, 2007 by Sapere Aude

3,582 of 3,733 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars With great respect, I dissent
Published on December 29, 2009 by A Reader

3,582 of 3,733 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars With great respect, I dissent, December 29, 2009
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Moluk Bilibo Blue (Toy)
Well, it's intimidating to write a bad review for the Bilibo. First, you need a thick skin, because it seems that a sure way to get "unhelpful" votes on Amazon is to utter disrespect for the sacred Bilibo. Second, even anonymously, a bad review can't help but come off as perhaps some sort of indication that your child is just lacking in the "imagination" department. Who wants to be perceived as having an unimaginative child?

Well, my flame suit firmly in place, I respectfully dissent. When the Bilibo arrived in our house as a surprise present for our 3.5 year old, my wife looked at me as though I were a bit off. "No no no," I protested. "You don't understand! This is the most talked about toy on the Internet. What looks like a simple oddly shaped upside down German World War II helmet is really the key to unlocking our child's innermost happiness." Despite several skeptical glances, I pleaded: "Please trust me. Apparently, kids just love them, even if adults cannot completely understand it." "It is," I declared triumphantly, "the cardboard box of the 21st century." "But," my wife replied, "we already have cardboard boxes. Some of which date from the 21st century." Shaking my head knowingly and with a sad looking glance, firmly secure in the knowledge that 100 five-star reviews can't be wrong, I thought, "you'll just have to wait and see." My biggest concern was that my wife would feel somehow she was not in touch with our child when she saw the glee on our child's face when the Bilibo was gloriously displayed and our child's imagination fully engaged and unlocked!

On the appointed day, the gift was delivered. Ready for the magic that was sure to unfold, we placed it in the middle of the room. "What is it?" "Why, it's a Bilibo." "What does it do?" "Whatever you like, Sweetheart. Whatever you want it to be, it can be." "Can I put my books in it?" "Yes! Of course. You can put your books in it!"

Well, the books are still there. In the Bilibo. In the corner of the room. We took them out briefly for some spinning attempts and some other guided Bilibo activities that were received more as a chore than as playtime. So we put the books back in. They don't fit so well. The books are square and rectangular. The Bilibo is round. As a book holder, I would only rate it as average or maybe slightly below.

A cardboard box would hold more books, I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Well Made Toy! (UPDATED), December 29, 2007
This review is from: Moluk Bilibo Green (Toy)
My children, ages 4.5 and 2.5 each got two of these for Christmas. They are a big hit. I'm very impressed with the construction, which is of a thick plastic, I can flip it over and stand on top myself and it only flexes slightly on our slippery kitchen floor. They are a good size - an adult of medium build could sit in one. My kids can get in and cross their legs inside too.

The shape is great - two of them fit together to form a kind of spherical shape. The two holes are inspired as they love putting them on their heads and looking through the holes. They have found a ton of uses so far! They spin the bilibo and put a marble in and watch it go around. They spin around in them themselves. They have used it as the center in their block building expeditions, as a seat and to port toys around the house.

I am very impressed with this toy - I love how it inspires creativity and active play. I would definitely recommend getting one or several!

Update - 4 years later - these have stood the test of time. They are not only still in perfect condition, the kids still enjoy playing with them now at ages 6 and 8.

5.0 out of 5 stars A few years later, and.., October 20, 2009
This review is from: Moluk Bilibo Green (Toy)
We've had ours for a few years, now, and still love it!

I see that a few other reviewers were bothered that it isn't more functional as a chair. I agree that it is not the most comfortable of chairs. This does not bother me, however, because it's design is very well suited to the active and creative use intended.

It's best use is not as a single self-contained, self explainatory activity (the simple rocking, balancing, or spinning never lasts long around here), but as an accessory to any number of activities and imaginative games. In addition to being the means to some serious dizziness, ours has been a tunnel, a sled, a cave, a chariot, a stool, a mountain, a cradle, and so much more.

There have been times when it was tucked away and unused, but the kids are always excited when they rediscover it and suddenly it returns to being the most cherished and fought over among toys.

I admit to having a few initial doubt- my kids' interest was short lived when I introduced it as a single straightforward activity. It was as an accessory to all their everyday play that it really started to shine. Now I consider it to be one of my best toy purchases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy, October 12, 2008
This review is from: Moluk Bilibo Green (Toy)
Had two Bilibo's delivered to my grandchildren (ages 1.5 and 2.5) while we were on vacation. What great fun the Bilibo's are! They spin and rock in them, sort toys into them, cradle their babies in them and walk around with them on their heads acting like cartoon characters. We haven't even tried them out in snow! The play value is immense and never ending which is what great toys become.

And while at my 2.5 yr. grandchild's, she stands in it, hangs on to a chair and twists and balances standing in it. Her mother was a gymnast and NCAA diver and this looks like a great toy to build those ankles up for balancing and take-offs. The 1.5 yr. old uses it for his cars and trucks and plays train with the Bilibo as a tunnel. He also uses it like the back of a dump truck.

I would rank the Bilibo up there with staples for the nursery/kindergarten like blocks and balls. There is no end to the creativity and usefulness a child gets from it. It looks like fun and the children see it that way immediately. I bought it using Amazon's system of review and bestsellers, the video of the Bilibo and my child development education background. On all levels it was A+!!

1.0 out of 5 stars The Blair Witch of toys..., December 8, 2013
This review is from: Moluk Bilibo Blue (Toy)
You know how back in the 90's the Blair Witch Project was the greatest movie and everyone had to see it because it was just so great? Then you went and saw it, and the whole time you were thinking what the heck is this garbage? This is that of the toy world.

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand all the praise, November 1, 2010
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Moluk Bilibo Pink (Toy)
After reading all the positive reviews I bought this for my daughters second birthday. I guess I just don't get it. It is like having a giant bowl cluttering up your house. It has been a few months and I can honestly say she has never played with it. I wish I didn't spend the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money, July 30, 2010
This review is from: Moluk Bilibo Orange (Toy)
This toy was quite hyped by educational toy websites, and since I want my kids to be having fun and being creative, I bought the Bilibo. My husband commented that it is just a sturdy plastic bowl, and it pretty much is. It didn't spark my kids creativity and they quickly lost interest in it. When they tried to spin in it, they fell over, and when they tried to stand on it (with it turned over), they slipped off. It really is just a plastic bowl.

2.0 out of 5 stars I just don't get the big deal, July 1, 2010
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Moluk Bilibo Blue (Toy)
Save your money and use YOUR imagination and give your kid any household item to spark his/her imagination during playtime. Really wanted to like it but...
My 3yr old son has a great imagination, plays with any object and makes a game out of it. So I bought this after reading all the great reviews. Yes, he puts it on his head for 1 second as a helmet, and that is about it. I could have given him a big plastic bowl from my kitchen for the same effect.

2.0 out of 5 stars Most boring toy ever... quite the conversation piece though., June 1, 2011
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Moluk Bilibo Blue (Toy)
I bought this for my son when he was nearing three. He's very imaginative and likes building with blocks, playing with animal toy sets, playing with other "brainy" toys that I've purchased, as well as doing the typical toys like cars, etc. I bought this toy after reading the phenomenal reviews. Unfortunately, after two years now, he still does not "get it" if there is anything to get. The only use so far is holding it up in the pool and letting water come out of the holes as a waterfall. Sometimes our guests will put it on as a Darth Vader helmet and that's funny for about 5 seconds.

That being said, the only actual use we've gotten out of it is people asking me what the heck it is. Then I explain it's award winning and great and kids find tons of things to do with it, you'll see. But, we never saw, because my son still thinks it's lame and does not play with it. I may as well have given him a plastic bowl that got warped in a fire or something.

SO... I would suggest trying it, but don't be shocked that your kid apparently isn't some Euro genius who pretends it's his science lab where he cures cancer with it, or whatever it is they're supposed to do.

I wish it had cost less, the it might be easier to say 'oh well.' :)

1.0 out of 5 stars A bust, January 5, 2009
This review is from: Moluk Bilibo Red (Toy)
I purchased 2 Bilibos for my 2 and a half year old and my 5 year old. I thought they would absolutely love it after reading all of the reviews on this website. They love creative type toys so I just thought I knew this would be the one. Since Christmas, 11 days ago, it has been played with for about 10 minutes total between the both of them. They could care less about it, no matter how much my husband and I try to hype it up. It was a great waste of money and I am very disappointed that I was sucked in. I am sure it might be great for other children, but mine really don't care for it at all. They would rather have a cardboard box that they can make things out of and play with than the Bilibo.

Moluk Bilibo Green