Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

Momentum Men's 1M-SP24B0 Format 4 Analog and digital Watch
Price:$395.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 16, 2013
I made an extensive search to try to find an analog/digital watch that had some of the quality of the Brietling Aerospace without the $4000 price.
There are few choices once you leave the G Shock versions, and all the metal choices were so inferior at least in appearance that I decided there was just no market for a quality looking watch with dual functions.
The Momentum Format 4 is the only high quality choice I could find. It is more expensive than other brands, but it has much more substance.
- Pretty light weight. The titanium case is thicker than I wished for but consistent with contemporary styles.
- The dial is high quality so the watch has a fine timepiece look which includes the numbers, the minute and hour hands and the sweep orange and white second hand.
- The LCD windows are refined meaning they do not look like they were cheaply punched out, and they nearly disappear when using the energy saving feature. It gives the dial a fine watch analog look.
- It's a little hard to set. The instructions were written by someone who really didn't care if they made any sense. Among other discoveries I made while messing around with the functions, I found that if I simply changed the date, the watch knew what the new day of the week would be, Monday, Tuesday, etc. I'm not sure how far down the calendar that would work however.
It's not a Brietling. It's much thicker, does not have as many functions, digital and analog are not automatically in sync, but it's almost as good looking, works very well so far, and it's less than 10% of the cost. Not bad. The only discount I could find was at Amazon.
That's my story. I recommend the watch enthusiastically.
on July 20, 2014
This watch combines some of my favorite features into one very useful, comfortable, and attractive timepiece. Some of my likes of this watch are:

- all titanium construction
- analog/digital display
- screw-down crown
- backlit LCD
- unidirectional ratcheting bezel
- push-button deployant clasp
- 5 alarms
- power save feature

Thanks to the titanium construction, the Format 4's weight is feather light despite being a good 45mm diameter. The matte finish is attractive and gives it a utilitarian look that is neither flashy nor cheap. Overall fit and finish of the watch is superb. I particularly like the bracelet's push-button deployant clasp as I feel it is easier to take on and off than the ones that have a friction detent and often is either too stiff or too loose. Even the safety clasp uses a spring-loaded ball detent to secure it - nice touch! The teardrop shaped buttons are a little unusual to me. I am used to seeing round buttons on my watches but the new shape is a welcome departure from the norm. I did find the pointed ends of the buttons to be a little sharp, but not sharp enough to be bothersome. The shape and size of the buttons makes them easy to locate and press.

The analog-digital display is well laid out with the title listed on the top screen and the function on the bottom as you scroll through the menu. The back-lit negative dot-matrix LCD is an olive green color that looks fine, but I find the contrast a little weak (even though you can adjust the contrast). I would have liked to see a black/white display with the sharpness seen on the Casio G-Shock models. The green seems a little out of place with the black dial surrounding it, but it is legible and does the job well. The back-lighting is a very useful feature on any LCD watch. The Format 4's back-lighting is a bit on the weak side if you are going from daylight into a dark room, but it is plenty bright to dark-adjusted eyes. I would have preferred a slightly brighter back-light but at least it isn't like some of the super bright white LEDs on some watches (I'm looking at you, Casio!) that would completely ruin your night vision.

Being on the topic of night vision and back-lighting, the Format 4 also has lumed hands and indices as well as the bezel pip. The lume is a greenish color that is easy to see, but sadly, is very weak and loses its luminosity quickly. After a few hours in the dark and even with dark-adjusted eyesight, the hands and indices were very difficult to see and I had to push the back-light button to tell the time. I would have liked to see Momentum use a thicker and more potent application of lume paint so the luminosity would approach that of the torch-like brightness of the Seiko dive watches. Those watches are easily readable even after 8 hours in the dark and glow like a laser after a brief charge with a flashlight. The poor lume of the Format 4 is not necessarily a deal-breaker as it still has the LCD back-light, but it is a strike against the watch considering the intended use as a utility watch. I like the ability to tell the time in low light conditions with a simple glance at the watch and not needing to use my other hand to push a button.

The LCD and analog functions are not synced together so time can be set independently of one another. The LCD is controlled by the teardrop shaped buttons and the analog hands are controlled by the screw-down crown. In some ways, this is good as you can be running two independent time zones at the same time, but it can be frustrating if you like to have the two synced. Personally, I would have liked to see a synced analog-digital system like what Casio has on many of their ana-digi watches where the buttons control everything. I think it would have been really cool if Momentum had sourced a solar-powered Casio movement that featured the Tough Movement hand alignment and world-wide atomic clock sync features. A feature-packed movement like that put inside the attractive Format 4 case would have made a watch many would drool over. One cool feature I would like to note is the power-save mode you can activate manually with a button hold or scheduling it. Power save mode is where the LCD display turns off to save power, but is still keeping time. To leave power-save mode, simply press any of the buttons and the display will reappear. I have not owned the watch long enough to tell if the power-save mode makes a significant difference in battery life, but I assume it would help squeeze a little but more time in between battery changes.

For the price the Format 4 is listed at, you do get a lot of watch. Casio's MR-G line of G-Shock watches feature a similar laundry list of features like the Format 4, but are several times the cost. This particular model has a mineral crystal, but it can be upgraded to sapphire if sent in to Momentum's authorized service center, according to their website. To me, that would be the icing on the cake on an already great watch. I do hope Momentum will improve the quality of the lume in the near future and make a great watch even better.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 2, 2013
The watch is on the large side, however it is unusually light weight due to the titanium used. Bracelet is well built with solid links. It has a digital readout too with the usual functions in a digital watch. The digital part tends to turn itself off when not in use, and it is reactivated when a button is pushed. The bezel rotates easily. Being a military watch the colors of the face and body are all in dark gray.

There is not too much to fault this watch, except maybe for the price. However, with titanium and analogue digital readouts the price is acceptable.

Aside from that the only consideration is whether you like the aesthetics or not. But that is up to you.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 5, 2013
Good everyday watch - I like the day/date and time display - a little difficult to follow the instruction for setting all the functions. Very Good Overall Time Peace.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 16, 2012
Very pleased with the product and the customer service. The instructions were not clear on UTC and the tech patiently walked me through the set up. Very light on the wrist and visually pleasing.
on July 12, 2014
I have had this watch now for approximately eight months and it has not missed a beat. The manual was a little vague, but not unusable. Since I received the watch, both the analogue time and the digital time have been completely in sync. I wear the watch every day, to work, around home, and when I go out, and have had no issues with it at all. I normally need glasses to read, but with this watch I can read the large numbers and hands easily. The alarms are not over loud, but good enough to hear in ambient conditions. Overall I am totally impressed with this watch and would recommend it to any one who requires a watch that is built like a brick outhouse, you can set and forget, and looks a million bucks as well.
on January 31, 2013
If you like analog-digital titanium watches, you should be happy with this. I got it sized at the local jewelers and have worn it nearly every day since. It looks a bit like the Omega X-33 "Mars" watch overall, and the digital layout is like the Breitling "Aerospace" face. As other reviewers have noticed, the night illumination and the loudness of alarms are anemic compared to either of these. For a lot less money than either of these it is a relative bargain.
on November 29, 2013
Love the dual digital/analog display. However, the watch is BIG. My second Momentum Format watch! One two three four five
on August 29, 2014
Funny, I think this is the third time I've left this review; it keeps vanishing. This product is attractive, but poorly designed. The crown comes unscrewed during vigorous use (such as swimming). Despite the manual's claim that the watch is waterproof to 50ft with the crown unscrewed, surface swimming will destroy this watch.

Customer service will imply that you're a liar if you insist the crown was secured at the onset of your swim and will refuse to fix the watch. They will also refuse to admit that the large, poorly threaded, crown is an issue.

If you plan on wearing this to the office, fine. If you intend to wear it in a marine environment, look elsewhere.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...