Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 5, 2008
In "Mommy I'm Still in Here" author Kate McLaughlin clearly communicates what it's like to raise kids diagnosed with a serious mental illness. Honesty is the primary focus here, and McLaughlin does not sugar-coat the hard realities of living with Bipolar Disorder. She not only shows what symptoms look like and how emotions feel, but also sheds light on the inadequacies and successes of modern psychiatric treatment, the strain on family dynamics, and the personal growth necessary to navigate very difficult circumstances. Many scenes are frightening, even horrifying, and deeply sad, but the reader feels encouraged and hopeful, perhaps even empowered, in the end. In addition to her personal perspective, McLaughlin has thoroughly researched her topic and shares facts and resources that will help anyone seeking information or support. Going a long way toward creating understanding and acceptance of the millions diagnosed with a serious mental illness, "Mommy I'm Still in Here" is informative for all and a must-read for anyone who struggles with mental illness or loves someone who does.
on February 6, 2008
As a mother of two children with mental illness, Kate McLaughlin has not only written about my family, but about hundreds of other families as well. We want them to have quality of life, opportunities for a successful life and choices that allow them to exhibit and explore the special qualities they have. We love them. We want you to accept them.

Deborah Rose NAMI TX Director of Educational Development
on February 7, 2008
This "no holds barred" account of a mother, daughter, son and family grappling with the ravages of bipolar disorder should be required reading for therapists, psychiatrists, nursing staff, parents, extended family, friends, and educators. McLaughlin's writing is grippingly beautiful even as she takes you by the hand and leads you into the horrors that Bipolar Disorder inflicts. Most important, is the honesty with which she writes. As a result, the reader is able to find hope in the beauty and richness that McLaughlin demonstrates can be found even in the face of, and the aftermath of chaos. It is clear that this book was written from the soul, guts and heart of this mother. It is no wonder that her children are so remarkable. Thank you Kate (and Chloe and Michael) for helping break the silence and denounce the shame of mental illness.
on February 22, 2008
This is a most helpful book about childhood bipolar disorder. We have a grandson who is 7 and has suffered with bipolar since infancy. (Didn't know what it was then...just knew he was one easily frustrated and miserable kid -- or, conversely, the most beautiful and placid baby!) Anyway, I highly recommend this book to parents and grandparents of children from 0 to 20 with bipolar. Author is so candid and yet upbeat. She made us feel completely understood with the pendulum swing of our OWN moods while coping with a misdiagnosed and suicidal 3 yr old! God bless the author for sharing her trials and providing hope for us! LOVE THE TITLE -- PERFECT!!
on February 22, 2008
I started reading this book at 9:30 in the morning and couldn't set it down until I finished later that same night with tears in my eyes and hope in my heart. This is not just a story of dealing with bi-polar, but one of overcoming adversity, unconditional love, perserverence and the bond between a mother and a child. I can see that this would be a lifeline for any family facing the devastation of bi-polar or any type of health issue for that matter. This book was extremely well written and touched me in so many ways that I have purchased additional copies as gifts for families that I know need the honesty and encouragement that they will find in McLaughlin's book.
on May 24, 2016
Ideal and provided all the information and confirmation I needed to regain my strength. All described in this book relative to Chloe were idential to my grandchild who I am raising. My daughter, a single parent, was simply lost since the demands of keeping a roof over their heads and providing care for her daughter lead to her own burnout by the time my grandchild was only 4.
The process in place across the US today is so complex and the clerical mistake made are significant.
My own granddaughter began telling me of the voices she was hearing in her head beginning at the early age of 4. That ADHD Combined label is quick to employ as no MD is ready to place that bipolar label on a child so young. By the age of nine, my grandaughter was hospitalized a second time. Only a few of the numerous physicians that I have seen are willing to say but not able to put into writting that this child is bipolar. Bipolar is shunned and not accepted as a diagnosis until teen years.
This book is exact to what our family is now experiencing with our 9 year old grandchild. It provides information and validation to encourage parents to hang in there when they are at a loss.
THANK YOU, KATE for sharing this story!
on February 26, 2008
An incredibly personal and yet educational story. The author shares her journey of confusion, pain ,learning and love that is inspirational to all of us. Although I started with no information about bipolar disorder..I ended with a sense of deep compassion around the complexities of every day living with mental illness. While the subject is serious the book ends with a spirit of renewal and hope leaving the reader wanting to meet this amazing woman.
on February 7, 2008
One family's experience with bipolar disorder was the impetus for this insightful book about how a Mother dealt with two of her children being diagnosed with mental illness. Kate McLaughlin has recounted her journey with intense emotion, offering hope to those who find themselves parenting children with disabilities. Can be given with confidence to anyone you know that is struggling.
on February 22, 2008
Kate McLaughlin very honestly relates the story of a courageous and loving family as they face bipolar disease.
The author points out the limited services available to this population, even those with generous resources to pay for care. I hope this book and increased understanding of mental illness will lead to availability of more care for the mentally ill, those with and without resources to pay for care.
This book is extremely well written describing the facts of bipolar disorder as well as the emotional toll this disease takes on families.
I highly recommend it.
on February 21, 2008
This book, Mommy I'm Still in Here, tracks the struggle of a very real family who encounters bipolar disorder in not one but two of their children. The story is told with the emotion only a person who has gone through this can produce. Through tears and torment author Kate McLaughlin takes us through the most difficult days to come out with a sense of hope at the end. She gives information and sheds truth on the myths of mental illness. Well written and easy to follow; you won't want to put it down.