4.0 out of 5 stars Better book than "Super Baby Food"
Published on December 18, 2002 by Little Greek

3.0 out of 5 stars Book for new parents/beginner cooks
I was anticipating a book filled with helpful hints on how to manage cooking and storing baby food. But if you know how to steam fruits and vegtables, you know about half of what the book covers. There is one paragraph on how to store frozen food. I was more interested in, how to store bananas for example, whole, mashed, pureed?
Alot of basic info given on when to...
Published on November 15, 2002 by "Dory"

4.0 out of 5 stars Better book than "Super Baby Food", December 18, 2002
This review is from: Mommy Made and Daddy Too! (Revised): Home Cooking for a Healthy Baby & Toddler (Paperback)
"Super Baby Food" has it's strong points but the recipes are a bit to froo-froo for my taste and they seem to go to the vegetarian extreme. "Mommy Made" however, contains great basic recipes that anyone with a steamer and blender can make. The author is very informative about introducing new foods to your baby and provides a timeline as to when you should introduce them. The receipes are not grouped by age but by food (ie fruits, vegetables, meats, etc) however, if you look carefully at the sidebar notes that the author makes, you will notice that she puts them in order within each category. For instance, applesauce is the first food listed and is therefore one of your baby's first foods. Make sure to read the sidebars as you go so that you can tell what foods are appropriate to introduce at what age. I do agree with another reviewer that there could be more information on how to freeze and store the prepared food but that is a minor detail and just about anyone can figure it out on their own. This is a great book that you can use over and over. I highly suggest it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Book for new parents/beginner cooks, November 15, 2002
Alot of basic info given on when to wean from breast or bottle (this does not pertain to cooking in my opinion). So save some money and just steam your foods and puree them for baby. When your toddler gets ready for finger foods, use your common sense and give them what you eat and expose them to lots of different tastes in a systematic way. It does mention the "no-no" foods like grapes, sugar, salt, peanuts and honey, but again I received most of this info from their doctor anyway.
As a side note, the outdated cover and lack of photos does not entice me in any way to completely read this book. Recipes would have been more organized had they been listed in order like 4-6 months, 6-9 months...instead they are listed in categories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes the fear out of making your own baby food, September 30, 2002
By A Customer
I bought this book with Ruth Yaron's Super Baby Food book several months ago, and while the Yaron book is in mint condition from lack of use, this one is dog-eared and stained with pureed squash, peas, and apples.
This book has a wonderful approach and gives great guidelines for preparing your own baby food. It's really very easy to do and doesn't take much time at all. I love knowing what my baby is eating and not being afraid to try to the food I'm giving him. We still have the jars of food for when we go out, but primarily he gets fresh fruits and veggies that I steamed & pureed myself.
My husband was a little skeptical of my making our own baby food at first, but now he is a big fan. It is incredibly easy for him to take a couple of cubes out of the freezer, defrost & feed to our son (I make a batch and freeze them in ice cube trays, then put them in labeled freezer bags). Plus, unlike the jarred food, you don't have to worry about opening a jar & using it within 2 or 3 days; you can just defrost a cube at a time.
It's also very cost-efficient to make your own baby food because whereas a jar of carrots may cost $$$ (if you get the organic kind), you can make the equivalent of 7 or 8 jars for less than $$$.
One big difference we noticed was in the peas -- I bought an emergency jar of organic peas and it was a slimy olive green color (my friend's baby wouldn't touch the stuff). I then made my own from a bag of frozen organic peas and they came out bright green -- like they should be. And they're a thicker consistency that my son appreciates.
Another difference we noted was in the squash- the jarred kind smells faintly of cinnamon. Supposedly it's just squash & water, but when I made my own it didn't smell that way. I don't 100% trust what's in the jarred foods. We tried one of the vegetable blends of jarred food and my son got a rash. So far he hasn't had any reaction to the fresh foods, though.
I can't recommend this book enough! My son is 8 months old and I typically use this book 2 or 3 times a week -- even just to look for what new foods to give him. There are handy sidebars that list when you can start your baby on the food (e.g., primary puree, 7 months, 10 months, etc.) and things you can do later to make it into a toddler food.
I only have one very, very small complaint about this book (not enough to decrease my rating): in the introduction area of the book it says to be careful when selecting carrots to cook because in some areas of the country the nitrates in the soil are high, so make sure to get carrots that are grown in low-nitrate soil. However, in the carrot-recipe section of the book, it doesn't say anything about the nitrates. Personally, I think it would have been helpful to reiterate the warning in the recipe section. But that's the only complaint in the whole book that I have and it's a minor one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking of making your own baby food? Get this book!, December 29, 1999
By A Customer
I didn't know anything about making baby food before I bought this book, and it really helped with what solid foods to give when, as well as recipe, preparation and storage ideas. Thanks to the variety of foods I served our daughter when she was a baby, she is not a finicky eater at all. I'll be pulling this book off the shelf again for our second child!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and excellent, July 11, 2004
Just wanted to give my 2 cents. These reviews really help me. I carefully read the reviews for this book and I am glad I bought this book. I found it very easy. Most of the baby purees are probably common knowledge anyway, but I needed someone to spell it out for me and this book does. It has lots of good recipes for older babies and toddlers. Our family would eat several of the toddler recipes. I recommend it to everyone. Making my own baby food has been a wonderful experience. I find that it doesn't take much time. I will cook for about 3 hours on a weekend and it will last for 2 to 3 weeks and my baby is getting fresh preservative free food. The only reason I do this is because I didn't want my child to be a picky eater and I heard this helps him learn to appreciate real food. The book gives explicit instructions on everything from cooking to freezing, etc. I highly recommend it. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mommy Made and Daddy Too: Home Cookig for a Healthy Baby &, October 7, 2000
By A Customer
This book is now my standard baby gift to new parents. I used the original edition with all three of my children and 10 years later, I am still refering back to it. It gives guidlines on when to introduce new foods, what to watch for in terms of reactions, how to cook the food both stovetop and microwave, ways to store the baby food and make it easy to "travel with", saftey tips and recipes for the entire family to enjoy. The updated book just continues to improve on an already wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have for New Parents, November 29, 2000
By A Customer
I love my Mommy Made book! I had every intention of buying commercially prepared foods for my baby, until I read this book! Mommy Made gave me the confidence and easy instructions to prepare more nutritious, less expensive food at home. I found an average savings of about 25% as compared to commercial food, it's healthier, and it's really easy! I've tried almost all the recipies in there and I like them all, and so does my son, who is now 16 months old. I think it made the transition to table food easier, as well, because he was already used to the taste of "real" food. I still refer to the section on "which foods are rich in what vitamin and mineral", I still find that information to be extremely helpful. I strongly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars for home-cookers, this is a must!, July 18, 2001
CAL (CHANDLER, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I wasn't totally sold on making my own baby food, but I'd heard enough positive feedback from people, I thought it was worth looking in to. I looked at several books at the bookstore, but they did not impress me. In one of my parenting books by Dr. Sears, he mentions Mommy Made, so I decided to give it a try. I'm so glad I did! I love making my own baby food, and I know exactly what she's getting. They let you know when to start certain foods, provide recipes that the family can enjoy, and guide you along your child's food journey in a healthy manner. My daughter loves the food and will hardly touch the canned varieties. I'm by no means a master of my kitchen, but if you want to try making baby food and don't know where to begin, I highly recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic baby cookbook, June 18, 2002
M. Torres (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed reading this book as a compliment to "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron. This book is very concise and easy to read (unlike "Super Baby Food") and has a realistic way of approaching homemade baby food and kids' diets in general. I like the timeline illustrating when to introduce foods to babies by month, the options for introducing meats to a baby, and the simple way in which the foods are prepared. I have been making my son's food since he was 4 1/2 months and he loves it. He is a huge fan of veggies (like broccoli and asparagus) and doesn't have a fussy approach to eating. Making his food is alot less time consuming than you would think. I spend about 2 hours a month making his food (steaming and then using my blender) and freeze enough to last the entire month. This book is a great basic guide on exactly how to prepare quick, healthy meals for your baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and well-used in my kitchen!, March 24, 2003
Gail "Gail" (Phoenix, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
I knew I wanted to make my own baby food instead of feeding my baby the yucky stuff in the jars. And this book has made it the simplest and easiest thing imaginable. It's well organized with easy recipes for basic baby food. The pages of mine are wrinkled and stained from use. If you want to quickly get up to speed on how easy it is to make your own fresh baby food, not to mention save a TON of money when you don't have to buy those overpriced jars, this is the book to get! Skip "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron, which I also have and which is nowhere near as good as this one.

Mommy Made and Daddy Too! (Revised): Home Cooking for a Healthy Baby & Toddler