5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!
I've been a Sendak junkie since I was a kid. His books have always been among my very favorites, and I'm happy to say they're among my kids' favorites as well. I also love pop-ups, so I was really excited to learn about this book. And I must say, my expectations have been surpassed.

Published on October 8, 2006 by dephal

3.0 out of 5 stars Two not better than one
Purchased two pop-up books by Maurice Sendak & Matthew Reinhart.
Both look perfect: nice corners, clean and very little wear.

One of the illustration (pop-up) was damage.
Wish seller utilize bulk shipping (cost).

Nice childrens book
very few works

classic illustration
story-telling
Published on December 1, 2008 by H. Eng

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, October 8, 2006
This review is from: Mommy? ( a pop-up book) (Hardcover)

The story line is very simple: a young child looks for his Mommy, encountering various monsters along the way and defeating them in creative ways. There are only a few written words in the book. But the story that the pictures tell is wonderful. What child wouldn't be delighted by a book in which a kid defeats the wolfman by pantsing him? Nosferatu gets a binky! And there's a ton of detail in the pictures as well. My girls like to spend several minutes looking at each page spread.

Then there are the pop-ups. This book is really a paper engineering marvel. The pop-up bits are enormously detailed and full of movement. My favorite part is when the boy unwraps the mummy. It's an understatement to say the pop-ups are spectacular.

The only reservation at all I have about this book is that my kids will probably love it to death. Like another reviewer, I think I'm going to buy them their own copy and keep one for myself!

If you have the least interest in Sendak or pop-ups, or think you might, buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mommy, can you hear me?, September 26, 2006
This review is from: Mommy? ( a pop-up book) (Hardcover)
In the April 17, 2006 edition of "The New Yorker", there was a remarkable article by Cynthia Zarin on Maurice Sendak. In the article was a whole host of interesting information regarding Sendak's past, literary achievements, and current untouchable status as an icon. At one point, Sendak discusses the character of Max from "Where the Wild Things Are". He says of his character, "My God, Max would be what now, forty-eight? He's still unmarried, he's living in Brooklyn. He's a computer maven. He's totally ungifted. He wears a wolf suit when he's at home with his mother!" Later, Zarin touches a little too close to the subject of the author's parents. "If I had a real mother and she made me happy, and a real father who made me happy, I would be working in the computer store with Max", he points out. Now, I don't like to come off as a person who reads too much into a cute l'il ole pop-up book, but it seems to me as if a thorough reading of, "Mommy?", could only be helped by knowing the above information. This is probably the most interesting, most elaborate, and most enjoyable Sendak creation to hit the market in years. It deserves a bit o' critique.

A small boy in blue footie pajamas, sporting a red cap on his head, bursts through the front door of a magnificently haunted castle. Our intrepid hero offers a quizzical, "Mommy?" on every page before defeating a variety of different movie monsters in wholly original ways. Right off the bat he stumbles past Doctor Frankenstein before popping a pacifier into a spooky Nosferatu lookalike. No Frankenstein's monster fears he. It's amazing what the removal of those bolts around his neck can accomplish. Whether he's unraveling a mummy or causing the Wolfman to drop trou, the kid has everything well in hand. Finally all our villains are out for a spectacular double spread. The little boy gives a final "Mommy?" at a door and behold! The Bride of Frankenstein appears with a resounding, "Baby!", to set everything ah-right.

It seems only natural that our greatest living picture book artist should join with one of the greatest living pop-up book artists (one Mr. Matthew Reinhart) to create something together. What I doubt anyone could have predicted was that that "something" would turn out to be "Mommy?". Oh sweet heaven above it's weird. Weird and wonderful. I don't think I'm the only person in the world who takes a perverse pleasure in watching a certain breed of parent freak out while their kids take great delight in "inappropriate" children's fare. First of all, I'd just like to point out that The Bride of Frankenstein is undoubtedly the sexiest Sendak female the man has ever drawn. This is an odd thing to say, but I feel it really needs to be pointed out. She's a cutie. The reason this book works, first and foremost, is because our hero never shows anything resembling fear at these various beasties. At one point he looked vaguely pissed off at The Mummy, but he soon has a handle on the situation.

Both the art and the pop-ups are stronger for the rare Sendak/Reinhart partnership. Getting to work with the great man himself, Reinhart seems to have gone all out with this one. As with all his other book, he's designed the title so that you have to open a smaller pop-up section within the larger two-page spreads. But while this was always an option in his past books ("Encyclopedia Prehistorica Dinosaurs", for example) here it becomes a requirement. The story only moves along if you open the small pop-up within the larger pop-up. At the same time, Reinhart is doing all kinds of neat tricks that you wouldn't think would necessarily work. Open one little pop-up and a picture's eyes move. Open another and the little boy is unraveling the mummy. This is nothing short of amazing, by the way. It involves string, a spinning plastic centerpiece, and who knows what-all. I've been spinning the mummy back and forth for about an hour now and I'm still not bored with it (nor, for that matter, has it broken yet). The Wolfman frowns as his picture is opened up. The Bride stands up and her head looks down. This is madness. Pure remarkable gorgeous madness. Also, has anyone else noticed that Sendak's art here looks as if he's grown thirty or forty-some years younger? When he reillustrated Ruth Krauss's, "Bears" it was clearly Sendakian but broad and loose. "Mommy?", in contrast, looks as if it could have been made at the same time as "In the Night Kitchen", for all its details and delicate linework (to say nothing of subtext).

I was admittedly a little confused by the role Arthur Yorinks chose to play in this book. The credit he receives is the uniquely unhelpful designation of "Scenario By". The book is not particularly forthcoming on the subject, so it helped that I discovered the following: "In 1994, Yorinks wrote and directed a play entitled It's Alive! for the Night Kitchen theater company (founded by him and Sendak), the plot of which became the storyline of Mommy? 'About six years ago,' Yorinks recalls, 'I got to thinking about how Maurice had painted a beautiful backdrop for It's Alive! and had not only done drawings of the costumes, but he had actually drawn the characters in the costumes. Looking at them, I realized that we actually had at least half a book already. So I went to Michael di Capua, and suggested we do something with all of this." Voila. Instant pop-up book.

This isn't the only classic movie monster title for the young `uns to be coming out in time for the Halloween season, of course. Adam Rex's, "Frankenstein Made a Sandwich" is also well-worth reviewing, should you be in need of some monster-related poetry. But "Mommy?", is wonderful. I wonder which uptight parent will try to ban it from a library first. Children will absolutely adore this book, by the way. It's just the teensiest bit frightening, so the ones who want to feel brave will be able to do so. At the same time, they'll feel safe in identifying with the plucky kid who foils a monster at every turn. In the New Yorker article mentioned above, a prevalent theme in Sendak's work is declared to be, "always about a child in danger whose best defense is imagination." Editor Michael di Capua says in reference to this title, "Maurice reinvented what a children's book is: it's a book." It is. And this is the book to beat out all the rest. Take a gander at it if you've a chance. Just make sure you place a pillow at our feet when you do so. I don't want any injuries to occur when your jaw takes a header for the floor. Beautiful, psychologically twisted, kid-friendly stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, October 30, 2006
Andy H "ors d'Ouevres" (Silver Spring, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mommy? ( a pop-up book) (Hardcover)
I recently heard an interview on NPR with Maurice Sendak. He talked about how this was his first pop-up book. However, he had been very interested for years in 19th century pop-ups, such as the works of the great Munich artisan, Lothar Meggendorfer. I've loved Sendak's style for years so I was quite excited by the prospects of his new endeavor.

This book is truly beautiful. Astonishingly so. It did scare my 2 year old daughter a bit, but she's warming up to it seeing how much enjoyment her father is getting from it.

Good stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Amazingly intricate Pop-up Book., October 6, 2006
This review is from: Mommy? ( a pop-up book) (Hardcover)
My kids and I love pop-up books, and I love paper engineering and building castles and palaces out of paper. When I read this book, I was amazed at how intricate the pop-ups were. Whereas most pop-up books may have 5 or so different pieces of paper on each page, this book has what looks to be 3 to 5 times that number of different small pieces of paper that all interconnect and make an amazing picture. I can't believe they were able to produce this book for the retail price! Surely it can't be by machine? Anyways, your kids will love it, although younger ones will need help closing the pages so that the pieces don't get mangled. I might buy 2 - one for the kids to read and probably destroy, and 1 for my collection. Highly recommended if you love pop-up books!

5.0 out of 5 stars A different fun book, November 11, 2006
This review is from: Mommy? ( a pop-up book) (Hardcover)
This book is fun comical book for children who want to read something mysterious. This cute book gives the reader the enthusiasm in turning the pages to see what happens of the young boy going into a creepy house focusing on the search of his mother.

Cynthia Marie Rizzo, author of "Julie and the Unicorn" and "Angela and the Princess"

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Beautiful, November 24, 2009
MIA (Republic of Panama) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mommy? ( a pop-up book) (Hardcover)
This is by far the most beautiful, magical children's book I've ever seen. It's a paper engineering marvel. I bought this book for my daughter but find myself playing with it again and again, thinking of how many people I want to share it with.
It will bring out the child in you. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure Trove for the Imagination, January 4, 2007
This review is from: Mommy? ( a pop-up book) (Hardcover)
I'm always on the lookout for new, books to share with my third graders. I was so excited to see Maurice Sendak's new book Mommy? I eagerly shared it with my students. Because there are no words, they were able to tell the story many different ways, and from different points of view. The paper engineering kept them anxioulsly waiting to see what was in store next. I would highly recommend this book to stimulate talk about character, setting, plot, problem and solution. Every time we reread it we find something new to make us smile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for preschooler scared of monsters, January 5, 2007
N. Picard (Manvel, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mommy? ( a pop-up book) (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my newly 4-yr-old son who expressed a fear of monsters. When he saw the silly monsters in this book, it was a great jumping off point to address his fears. Plus, he loves the other Maurice Sendak books he has.

4.0 out of 5 stars Momm?, October 15, 2007
This review is from: Mommy? ( a pop-up book) (Hardcover)
This book is really cute and a lot of fun! It has some of the most complex popups in any children's book! The surprise doors are a wonderful treat, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Mommy? ( a pop-up book) (Hardcover)
I became familiar with Maurice Sendak's picture books when I was introduced to "Where the Wild Things Are" at Teachers' College in 1966. I have been a fan ever since. I became a collector of children's picture books and specialised in pop-up books. Imagine my delight when I discovered that Maurice Sendak had created a pop-up book of his own.

It did not disappoint. The complexity of the illustrations and paper craft is amazing. Each page has a hidden panel that opens to reveal how the boy defeats the monsters that are blocking the way to eventually finding his mommy. It has become the favorite pop-up book of my collection. Unfortunately Maurice Sendak has since died and so this is his one and only pop-up book.

Well worth the purchase and will be enjoyed by both children and their parent.

Mommy? ( a pop-up book)
Mommy? ( a pop-up book) by Maurice Sendak (Hardcover - September 26, 2006)
$24.95 $18.18