4.0 out of 5 stars Good in the correct context
I am an occupational therapist who does home health with geriatric patients. I am constantly searching for certain adaptive equipment to make my patients' bathrooms safer. As unfortunate as it is, many people are unwilling to give up aesthetics for safety! That means they won't install real grab bars into their tiled showers because it will mess up their tile...
Published on November 4, 2009 by A. Nielsen

3.0 out of 5 stars Product: Gripbar
I'm sure this product is fine for most surfaces, but it was not fine for the type of surface I have on my bathroom walls. The product just would not stay put on my surface, probably due to the indents of simulated tile. I'm sure this is a very good product on a completely smooth surface.
Published on February 20, 2010 by CAH

4.0 out of 5 stars Good in the correct context, November 4, 2009
A. Nielsen (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mommy's Helper Safer Grip 11.5" 40524 (Baby Product)

That's where this product comes in handy. I looked at several different brands before purchasing this one for my patients. I have since tried it on many different surfaces and it works with varying results depending on where you position it.

I've tried it on walls - it sticks...for about 1/2 hour. Don't do it. You'll end up hurting yourself! Even if your wall isn't textured it will come off.

If you're using it as a handle on the edge of your bathtub to get in/out, it'll work great! That sucker will not come off no matter how hard you tug on it. Plus, it's not high enough to catch your legs when you're trying to get your legs over the edge (thinking more of geriatric patients who have hip and knee range of motion problems).

In the actual shower area, your results again are varied. Your best bet is a shower that has a smooth surface, like laminate or faux tile. However, I've had fairly good results with tiled showers too. Just make sure that at least one of the suction cups is exclusively over a tiled area and not a grout area. Sometimes the grout lines don't provide the surface area that the cup needs to get a tight suction.

So the long and short of it is make sure you are putting this on a surface that can get a good seal. Let the grab bar sit un-used for about 4-5 hours. If it would fall off, it will on its own during this time. After that, if it's still on, you're probably good to go. But I'd tug on it a few times to make sure.

The first time I bought it, I did a few test runs on surfaces in my own home. I decided that I'd hold onto the box and all packaging and not hesitate to return it if it didn't work out. So far I've placed 4 of them in patients' homes and that says a lot because I'm the one on the line if they don't work out.

Update 3/13: Fast forward a few years...I was making this recommendation to a few patients back then but only with the advice that people use it for stability only. I am now withholding even that advice. I've had a lot more experience with them now and even the brands that I was "recommending" at the time are now off my list. They can not be fully trusted and it is better to be safe than sorry, to be cliche. I hate to go back on what I said but I've seen personally even a few weeks later of a good tight seal, coming off in a person's hands. This is not good. If you live in a rental and your manager won't let you install real bars, then you may not have any other option but I would tug and check these bars daily and especially before you intend to hold it. Even in these circumstances, there are tension bars and tub clamps that may give more stability than suction cup grabbars. That's my new take.

5.0 out of 5 stars D. Ehlert "Huskergram", June 9, 2008
This review is from: Mommy's Helper Safer Grip 11.5" 40524 (Baby Product)
This is only my 2nd review. I'm so happy with this Grip, I just had to share my experience with others.

I have a medical problem that makes it easy for me to lose my balance. I have been afraid I'd fall in the shower; especially since I'm alone a lot. I got this item and it has made a world of difference. I now have something to hold on to so I can steady myself. I'm so satisfied with it, I'm ordering 3 more. (One each for my handicapped sister, elderly mother and mother-in-law.)

I put it on my shower wall (ceramic tile,) flipped down the tabs and it was on GOOD. I had my husband pull on it and it held firm. It's been over a week and it's still stuck as tightly as ever. I know some of these suction grips lose their grip after a short period of time. But the suction cups on this really do suck!

5.0 out of 5 stars terrific !, May 8, 2007
This review is from: Mommy's Helper Safer Grip 11.5" 40524 (Baby Product)
I have owned this product for several months now and find it terrific. The suction cups are really strong, much better than I expected. And it's for kids and adults alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mommy's BIG helper, February 8, 2008
This review is from: Mommy's Helper Safer Grip 11.5" 40524 (Baby Product)
These handles are great. I have a disability that makes it a little scary to get in and out of the bath tub. These handles are strong, comfortable and I can move them where ever I need them. I can even pack them with me on trips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Critical information, January 11, 2013
This review is from: Mommy's Helper Safer Grip 11.5" 40524 (Baby Product)
Per the manufacturer, the suction cups on both size bars are 3.75" in diameter.
The distance between their centers is 8" for the 11.5" model and 12.75" for the 17" model.
Because the suction cups require an airtight seal, the 11.5" model won't work on 4" tiled walls (one cup crosses grout) or textured surfaces. Also keep in mind that to use either handle on the rim of a tub, it's rim must be 4" wide for the length of the specified length.
Had this information been included in the product description, there would have been far fewer dissatisfied customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super grip!, January 3, 2009
This review is from: Mommy's Helper Safer Grip 11.5" 40524 (Baby Product)
Pro:
+ Inexpensive... we bought two
+ Effective, large suction cups, holds a surprising amount of weight once attached
+ Easy to relocate, just lift the tabs on either end and it pops off
+ Leaves no scratches or other permanent marks
+ Big, beefy handle is easy to grab

Con:
- I could see the release tabs being problematic to lift to release the unit if you have arthritis in your hands
- Personal pet peeve: the aqua color of the tabs is ugly... sorry if this is picky, but it is true
- The light color on a white surface could be a con for those with bad eye sight... please offer other colors (e.g. black or yellow?)

Bottom line: Highly recommended. Buy more than one.

5.0 out of 5 stars good good, March 18, 2008
This review is from: Mommy's Helper Safer Grip 11.5" 40524 (Baby Product)
This is great product. we've had it up in our bathroom for a few weeks now. It only came loose once and that was because we hadn't had one of the tabs flipped all the way down. Just make sure to clean the surface well first.

4.0 out of 5 stars MOMMY'S HELPER SAFER GRIPS, October 24, 2009
This review is from: Mommy's Helper Safer Grip 11.5" 40524 (Baby Product)
THEY WORK WELL HOWEVER ONE SHOULD CHECK THEM TO BE CERTAIN THEY ARE SECURELY ATTACHED. I HAVE 4AND 1/2 INCH OR 4 AND 1/4 INCH TILES AND NO MATTER HOW I TRY TO TURN THEM THEY STILL HIT THE GROUT CRACK A BIT. THEY DO HELP STEADY MY 81 YR OLD MOTHER WHEN I ASSIST HER WITH HER SHOWER AND GIVE ME A FEELING OF SAFETY AS WELL AS I USE THEM TOO AS I HAVE HAD TWO KNEE REPLACEMENTS. THEY ARE NOT HOWEVER FOR REAL SUPPORT LIKE PULLING ONESELF UP OUT OF A BATH TUB BUT THEY ARE QUITE SECURE. I PURCHASED MOMMY'S HELPER SAFER GRIPS

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal!!, November 16, 2008
This review is from: Mommy's Helper Safer Grip 11.5" 40524 (Baby Product)
Great product - eliminated need to permanently modify bathroom for elderly relative's extended visit! Held in place exactly as claimed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent grips, October 26, 2009
This review is from: Mommy's Helper Safer Grip 11.5" 40524 (Baby Product)
These grips were purchased for use in our natural stone shower. My husband had total joint replacement in both knees and needed some addition support during the first few weeks. Before putting weight on the handles he first checks the suction. If it is questionable he simply unsnaps, applies pressure and snaps again. Definitly works for him.

Mommy's Helper Safer Grip 11.5"  40524