5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding My Parent's Divorce
Published on April 2, 2006 by Mark Howe

3.0 out of 5 stars just okay
This is not what I expected. I thought it was something to read to a child. It seems to be for the parent.
Published on June 11, 2012 by Victoria Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding My Parent's Divorce, April 2, 2006
This review is from: Mom's House, Dad's House for Kids: Feeling at Home in One Home or Two (Paperback)
When I was 7, my parents got divorced. I am now 18, and looking back I realize how confused I was about the breakup. Recently, my dad gave me an advanced copy of Mom's House, Dad's House for Kids, and asked for my opinion on the book. With the intention of only skimming a few pages, I found myself unable to put it down, and read the book in its entirety. I was amazed at the clear, simple, and compassionate way Dr. Ricci answered questions about divorce that baffled me in the past. The thing that impressed me most about Mom's House, Dad's House for Kids was the consistent positive message it conveyed. Without preaching, the book encourages children to make and fulfill positive goals, respect themselves and others, and above all come to acceptance about their parent's divorce. I know this book would have helped me in the past, and I would highly recommend it to any child going through divorce.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for kids, May 24, 2006
Mom's House, Dad's House for Kids is terrific! The author knows how to speak to kids in a way that helps them understand and cope with the changes that come with separation, divorce, and remarriage. The focus is positive and proactive: things kids can do to feel better, tips on how to talk to parents about problems, strategies for addressing and resolving problems, a framework for exploring consequences when making choices, answers to kids' unasked questions, and more. There's even a section giving answers to the questions that kids hesitate to ask. The book doesn't end with the divorce, but continues with what to expect and how to cope when the family changes once again into a stepfamily. The tone, the format, and the content are super child-friendly. A must-read for kids whose parents are separating, divorcing, dating, or remarrying.

5.0 out of 5 stars So kids not only survive, but thrive, May 6, 2006
Ellen E. Chaffee (Valley City, ND, USA) - See all my reviews
This book can be a young person's full-time guide not just to the logistics, emotions, and decisions that arise during parents' divorce, but also to growing up strong under any conditions. As a mother whose daughter was 9 at the time of divorce (or until she turned 18 or so - she's an adult now), I would have bought two copies - one for me and one for her - so that each of us could have it handy 24/7 and write our own marginal notes. Three copies. One for dad, too. Arguments may be commonplace during and after divorce, but no one could argue with the solid foundation and practical value of Dr. Ricci's ideas or her profound love of children and families. It should be in the waiting room of every therapist, as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars More help than you expect., February 28, 2010
Dr. Ricci sets a high bar when it comes to solid advice and a deep understanding of the dynamics of families in this stressful situation. It doesn't matter if you initiated the divorce or are just doing what you have to in order to get through. Mom's House, Dad's House will help you as much as it will help your children. Read it before you give it to your children. This book can give you strategies for addressing and resolving the most common problems. You will have answers ready when your children are ready to talk. If a child's first questions are answered fully and without rancor they will come back for more help. This really is a must-read for kids. Charlotte Hardwick, author of
Win Your Child Custody War: Child Custody Help Source Book--A How-To System for People Serious About the Welfare of Their Child (12th Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mom's House Dad's House, July 10, 2009
My four year granddaughter has really enjoyed this book and I think it is helping her adjust to her new situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book for kids, December 9, 2010
This was a good book for children who have experienced a divorce.Helps them learn the basics of going between mom and dad's house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great about addressing the most difficult questions to ask before kids even need to ask, June 13, 2011
We loved this book! However, I will say that my bonus kids are 8 and 9. When we ordered this book we were just going to slide it on their shelf for them to peruse at their leisure. After going through it together, we decided that the content towards the back (where the questions become exceedingly more difficult and the situations address more violent issues such as child abuse, etc.) was not age appropriate for our bonus kids. Because of this, the kids have never really looked through it on their own, and we have been using it more as a guide book for when a situation comes up that we need help handling. The best thing about this book is that their mom was interested in it as well, so it helped everyone cooperate and get on the same page. For this reason alone it has been a life saver!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great divorce therapy book for kids, January 7, 2013
Young children who are experiencing the difficult adjustment to their parents' divorce are assisted with this book. I have used it in my therapy practice, and it is very helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, October 16, 2012
This is written to children. As a parent, I loved it. My kids are too little to read, so I read it, in hopes to have more insight on what children may be feeling, some patterns to look for, and how to help. This is a very thoughtful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, December 13, 2012
My 16 year old daughter got a better understanding of why divorce happens and led her to better be prepared and understand the changes going on

Mom's House, Dad's House for Kids: Feeling at Home in One Home or Two