5.0 out of 5 stars Simply A Fun Movie
If you're looking to watch a movie which is thought provoking, full of depth and believable, then this isn't one you want to watch. If, like me, you're looking to watch a light-hearted, fun movie, then this may be your cup of tea. I've already watched it countless times for the sheer fun and enjoyment I believe it was intended to elicit.
Published on June 18, 2008 by Sapphira

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing too offensive, kind of fun
A few chuckles, a little bit of plot, and some star power. I wish there'd been more Selma Blair on screen. I like her but ... her part could have been played by anybody.

Published on July 24, 2008 by Phillip Royer

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing too offensive, kind of fun, July 24, 2008
This review is from: My Mom's New Boyfriend (DVD)

It's kind of scary when Meg Ryan smiles (her face is a disaster, but her lips are freaky) but other than that she looks good and can still pull off her Megness like no one else. There are a couple scenes that are pure Meg. When Antonio is fawning over how hot she looks, she responds "Yeah! I know!" Only Meg could do that and not make everybody sick. In another scene she gets mad at him and throws a fit, punching and screaming into the air. Antonio just watches until its over and is speechless (so was I) but for a genuinely soft-spoken "Wow." It was nice to see those scenes. Meg's still got it and Antonia doesn't seem like he's going to lose it any time soon.

It was a pleasant surprise to see how good Antonio looks. Maybe I just haven't seen him in a while. I've always liked him in comedies. If you like Antonio, you'll love the scene where he ends up with each hand in a glass of water (or white wine?). Antonio could charm the socks off ... I dunno, somebody who really needed their socks.

That's what these kinds of movies are all about, right? How good do our stars look? How much we enjoy seeing our favorite celebrities prance about ... acting.

There's a light twist at the end so everybody can be happy. Upon reflection it explained a few unanswered hmmmm's from previous scenes but I didn't see it coming because I wasn't expecting it; I didn't need it and I had forgotten about those scenes because this isn't a movie you keep score on. That's cool

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply A Fun Movie, June 18, 2008

2.0 out of 5 stars When Tommy met Marty, July 21, 2008
Short Attention Span Summary (SASS):

1. Marty Durand (Meg Ryan) goes from fat to phat while her son Henry (Colin Hanks) is away learning spy stuff with the FBI
2. Henry returns to the nest, to find Mom ruling the roost with an adoring flock
3. He isn't pleased when she's knocked off her feet by charming smoothie Tommy (Antonio Banderas)
4. He's even more unhappy with his next FBI assignment
5. Romantic comedy turns into unbelievably bad caper

Meg Ryan rarely shows the sparkle of her previous starring roles, while Colin Hanks is basically boring. Selma Blair is so underutilized you could say she's unused, and Antonio Banderas is .... well, just Banderas.

This is intended to be a frothy light comedy caper, but instead of being bubbly and entertaining, it sinks like a lead weight. Even if you suspend disbelief and forgive the plot, there's just not enough to make it worth your while.

Seeing that I like both Meg Ryan and Selma Blair, I'll give this one an extra star, and recommend that you go watch some of their other movies instead.

Amanda Richards, July 21, 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining romantic comedy, October 5, 2011
This review is from: My Mom's New Boyfriend (DVD)
I saw a preview of this movie when I was watching another DVD and I had to see it. I like Meg Ryan and I miss seeing her in films nowadays. What's wrong with Hollywood not utilizing a great comedic actor like her? I've heard several female actors say Hollywood loses interest in them when they age but come on, this is ridiculous. A woman really starts getting interesting and comes into her own beauty after 40 in my opinion. Okay, I'm off my soapbox. This comedy made me laugh out loud and I could really identify with Meg's character who went from over two hundred pounds to fit and healthy and really started living her life fully. Antonio Banderas is wonderful as always as her new boyfriend who may or may not be an international art thief. All of the supporting cast was fabulous too. Enrico, the Italian chef whom Marti (Meg's character) broke up with was hilarious as the spurned lover who just can't let go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic comedy at its finest with lovable characters, October 19, 2011
This review is from: My Mom's New Boyfriend (DVD)
If you are looking for a deeply emotional drama that parallels "Gone with the Wind", my friend, you will not find it here. This is a very entertaining romantic comedy with a good share of mystery and action. It also has a touch of slap stick and funny cops with a measure of twists. I promise you will have a solid night or entertainment and a 4 or 5 star winner. Don't try to figure everything out, just sit back and enjoy a modern day 3 stooges with class.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spying On Your Mom Can Be Pinful, September 1, 2008
This review is from: My Mom's New Boyfriend (DVD)
I just watched the movie. I was looking for something light and fun. This movie more than achieved that. Colin Hanks did a pretty good job at holding his own. Meg Ryan was awesome as usual. She really looked great. If you're looking for something deep---this is not it but there were some funny moments which are ingredients for good movie making. Let us not forget Antonio Bandaras: Handsome and charming as ever. It would have been nice if Selma Blair had a slightly larger role but she was good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun DVD, April 22, 2010
This review is from: My Mom's New Boyfriend (DVD)
"My Mom's New Boyfriend"; this no award film, but it is funny and suspense all in one. All the acting was good and M. Ryan and A. Banderas were wonderfully funny together. I recommend this film to anyone that wants action, drama and some romance. This is both a male and female movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, silly fun, January 16, 2009
This review is from: My Mom's New Boyfriend (DVD)
My family and I loved this movie. It's not pretentious or for the pretentious and uptight. It's just light, funny romantic comedy with some great moments. We were pleasantly surprised, and came here to buy it after seeing it ten minutes ago. Good movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, January 31, 2009
Coco "Ford" (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Mom's New Boyfriend (DVD)
This movie is very good and shows Meg Ryan comedian side and her sexy side as well. And Antonio was wonderfull in this. This is a movie to make you happy and also it has a surprise ending you will love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars The twilighting of Meg Ryan, October 20, 2011
This flick begins with the promise of more laughs to come (particularly from Meg Ryan), but as soon as Colin Hanks' character becomes the central point, it goes downhill quickly and no one can save it. The evolution of the story is painfully predictable. And good grief! Does Meg Ryan have no honest friends to tell her she's gone too far in the pursuit of false youth? Her face has been distorted by Botox, collagen, and bad face-lifts. The uncomplimentary lighting, poor makeup and too much hair made matters worse. If it weren't for her unique mannerisms and quirkiness, it would have been almost difficult to recognize her. No wonder this film went straight to video! Antonio Banderas may be worth a comedic turn, but this one isn't it (and why he got top billing is beyond me). Selma Blair was woefully underused and could have provided a better balance to the rest of the cast. There is one actor, though, who unintentionally steals the comedy: Enrico Colantoni. His madly in love, screaming and wailing, Italian-chef dumped lover is a hoot.

My Mom's New Boyfriend
My Mom's New Boyfriend by Antonio Banderas (DVD - 2008)
$14.99 $6.48
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.