5.0 out of 5 stars Finally-- a helpful guide for spending management
Finally-- a helpful guide for spending management
Published on April 20, 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a marketing tool
Published on August 17, 2004 by Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally-- a helpful guide for spending management, April 20, 2004
By A Customer
Finally-- a helpful guide for spending management
I've browsed through so many books about money and never found quite was I was looking for- not stale tips on how to save money (eat out less, clip coupons), not complicated strategies for investing large sums of money (which I don't have). I wanted a book that would be a step-by-step guide with specifics on how to budget and not overspend. I'm glad I finally stumbled upon Money for Life. Smith's book wasn't boring, I actually felt excited to finish it. I haven't started on the envelopes plan yet, but I'm heading home today to finish up setting up my spending accounts. Hopefully, I can keep to the principles of the book and this will work for me.
If you're looking for a book that will walk you through specifically what you can do to manage your spending (so that you'll eventually have some money, and THEN you'll need those investing books), try this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather Ingenious, August 27, 2004
This is not your typical "How To" budgeting book. It is a marketing tool, both for a software service and a way of life. The cleverness comes in the way it is packaged. Most "Start Budgeting, Get Out Of Debt" books I've read are very direct, with lots of facts, figures, instructions, and warnings. Some people love this sort of thing. Others have flashbacks to algebra class and their eyes glaze over.

My friend's wife is one of these people.

He and I have discussed at length how to get her "on board" with the household budget. This book may be the answer.

Instead of a step-by-step, rational explantion of the budgeting process, this book is about relationships: a husband and wife, the wife and her best friends, and the well-meaning son and his parents. Stepping into this mix is the wise old financial planner, with time-tested advice and tales of the good life, free from worry, debt, and public embarassment. As the couple progresses through the stages of getting their financial house in order, their relationship deepens and grows, to the point where they are able to offer the same to their friends. The husband, who in the first chapter overcharges their credit card and causes his wife humiliation at the checkout counter, slowly becomes the perfect mate, and in the end treats her to a perfectly romantic beach picnic in the tropics.

Sound hokey? It is. But, this is the kind of visionary thinking that may get my friend's wife to get the Big Picture that gets lost in all the talk of bank accounts, envelopes, and receipts. By couching household budgeting in terms of personal relationships rather than account balances, she might just catch the vision. I expect that my own wife won't be swayed so easily. But, I think it does demonstrate a better approach than the figures and spreadsheets that I have been plying her with. So to that end, it's well worth reading, even if you already understand the topic. It might help you explain it to someone else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes Boring Budgeting Come To Life, December 27, 2005
After receiving a recommendation for the online Mvelopes system (CD included with this book), my husband and I decided to read the book and research the system a little more before jumping in with both feet. I found the fictional story engaging, and a big help in conveying the basics of financial management. While it might seem a little hokey at times, I give the author credit for using the power of narrative to teach his material months after reading it, I find myself remembering situations in the book, and applying the principle it taught to my current circumstances). The content of the book is excellent, and I'm proud to say that after three months of using the Mvelopes system, we've reigned in our spending and are now able to avoid accumulating debt. The plan Smith teaches in Money for Life works, and you don't need a computer to pull it off. The book is full of options for pencil and paper lovers, or for those fond of spreadsheets. Money for Life is a great tool that empowers each of us to take control over our resources!

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a marketing tool, August 17, 2004
Reader (Birmingham, AL) - See all my reviews
This book was difficult to read in my opinion because it inched along in Wealthy Barber fashion. Some people like that, but I don't. You had to read about detailed mall conversations with fictitious people for a page before you get to the part about budgeting. Ultimately, the book does not address what to do with the complex issues of envelope budgeting such as a single Walmart purchase of clothing, food, toys, and cleaning supplies. Do you haul out four envelopes and make change? How do you carry large amounts of cash safely? All the "how to's" conclude with a suggestion to do the envelopes with software, i.e., the disk included with the book. This is nothing more than a software sales pitch, and it gets worse.

In order to use your 30 day trial of the disk included in the book, you must ante up your credit card number and agree to pay the a monthly fee if you forget to cancel. You cannot access the software without signing up for this service. I got taken. You don't have to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mvelopes is a rip-off machine, February 11, 2010
This is another shill front for mvelopes, a web based scheme for gathering credit card info. An offer of a free trial is phoney. You may only resign by their own convoluted trap system. Your payments are non-refundable, their policy. Check epinions, rip-off report, and BBB.

Inevitably following this post will be several glowing stories of the succes this system brought them, for only $99.00 per year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this Book, July 14, 2013
Some of its practices I was already doing but it gave me a new perspective how on to handle my finances. Following the steps in the book have helped me a lot. Got my budget in line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book with substance for your financial fitness, October 20, 2012
This is an awesome awesome book on financial fitness.. I was wondering why the CD was not included. However there was a note in the book stating the CD is no longer need as you can go online to start the 30 day trial.

This book has so many great nuggets to ponder on. One example is the fact that when parents don't plan for there retirement, they put the burden on their children and family which the book state can cause a lot of issues. I totally agree with this as I have seen first hand how when parents are financially fit, it brings a life time of peace and security for the whole family. I have also seen the opposite of when parents don't plan what it does to children, their spouse etc.

This book will guide you through all of theses issues and more.. I am glad that this book gives so much information and so many examples to lead your financial life by. The envelope system really is a great system to use. This way you can connect with your money. If you are looking to gain more knowledge or just starting off, this book is for you. This is a great tool to use teach your children and to work with your spouse with about your finances. This will make a great gift as well. Great information thought out the whole book.

Journey to financial fitness! Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Money for life., May 11, 2013
This is too intense for beginners. I was very disappointed and wouldn't recommend it at all. Sure was money wasted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have! Learn while reading a novel!!!, May 9, 2013
This is great! This is not your old boring how to manual. It is a learning experience wrapped up in a lively tale of use and abuse of money! You get mystery, intrigue and redemption! And valuable lessons. You won't be able to read this without identifying with one of the couples. We are getting more to give away.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, December 28, 2012
I like it and it is what I thought. I need it for a workshop and it is what I expected.

Money for Life
Money for Life by Steven B. Smith (Paperback - March 1, 2003)
Used & New from: $0.01