5.0 out of 5 stars This book is really inspiring!
Published on April 19, 2009 by Margaret Boyes

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh please
Published on June 14, 2010 by Uogio

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is really inspiring!, April 19, 2009
Margaret Boyes (Victoria, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is really inspiring! I was making money writing for trade magazines but when the recession hit I lost my customers. Bob Bly makes over $600,000 a year writing and this book explains there are many, many more lucrative markets than magazines. It's in a very easy-to-follow format with large type and lots of subheads. It's very satisfying to have one's own business and Bly shows us writing need never be dull. It takes effort to establish oneself as a writer but the rewards are tremendous. This book has Bly's contact information and he was kind enough to advise me on my writing business ([...]) by phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh please, June 14, 2010
Bly might (or might not...who knows?) make 600,000 a year "writing", but this book will not take you there with him. For example, I turned to the section on writing for newspapers, which the table of contents blurb describes as "easy." "You can get a great full time job writing for a big daily, making 50,000 a year!" he says in the description of the chapter. So I turned to the chapter (which is more like a three-page blurb) and read that the best way to achieve this amazing salary (of 50,000) is to go to graduate school in journalism! (not to mention that newspapers practically don't exist anymore--sadly). He goes on to explain that the best way to get an article into the paper is by QUERYING (NO, it's not, not for a newspaper). Most of the other "chapters" are about jobs like writing bumper stickers or stage plays. The kind of jobs that would make ACTUAL money--corporate writing--are much better covered in his previous book, and/or in other people's guides to corporate writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful if you're stuck in a rut, March 2, 2011
I agree with several of the other reviewers that this book is helpful. While it is true that many of the 88 jobs described in the book are not very lucrative, the most helpful thing about this reference is that it's inspiring. I have been a professional copywriter for the past three years now, and I found that this book helped me brainstorm alternative streams of income. At the moment I do mostly SEO copywriting, but since reading Bob Bly's book, I have realized that I can leverage this experience to market myself as someone who is proficient in several other niches as well. Anyone who sticks with the same career for a while can fall into a rut, and this book can be very helpful for writers who are looking for ways to expand their business. It won't help you "get rich quick," but it will give you some great ideas.

This is a great reference book, but I would only suggest it to folks who already write for a living. (IMO, you have to have an understanding of which types of work are really worth your time before you go rooting through this book for ideas.) If you're just starting out as a freelancer or considering becoming a writer, I'd suggest Peter Bowerman's book "The Well-Fed Writer" or Ed Gandia's "The Wealthy Freelancer." Bowerman's book (there are two volumes now, actually) is pretty detailed and gives concrete suggestions on how to go about building a portfolio and getting work. Bly leaves it to the reader to do his own research and take the next steps.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, May 14, 2013
This review is from: 88 Money-Making Writing Jobs (Paperback)
I have only myself to blame for the disappointment this book engendered in me, because I've bought two other books by Bly which weren't as good as they were purported to be. The problem with Bly's books about freelance writing is that he's still recycling out-of-date material. I'm cured. I won't buy anything else with his name on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book that gives you direction on what type of ..., July 14, 2014
An excellent book that gives you direction on what type of writing you might want to do to earn money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Money-Making writing jobs, February 10, 2014
This book is full of great money making tips for writers. I have read this book before in stores, and I got my copy off Amazon for a great price, and it arrived in good condition

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Looking Into, June 16, 2010
I am by no means a professional writer so this book was an excellent purchase for me. For anyone who is considering doing something for a little extra money, this would be a great book to give you some suggestions and ways to get them done.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Place to Begin, Not Very Detailed, July 27, 2010
This book describes 88 various jobs in "writing". I placed writing in quotation marks because his view of jobs in writing is very broad (writing text for coloring books is really considered writing? bumper stickers?). I also disliked how he placed his own books in the additional resources section of several chapters. These advertisements made this book feel more like a cheesy infomercial then a reputable book on occupations in writing.

If you like to write and you're looking for a brief description of various jobs in writing, this is a great place to start. Don't buy this book if you just want to make money-- it's designed for people who are interested in writing occupations, not money-seekers. I would also encourage people who would like to read this book to either check your local library or buy it used, as the content inside isn't worth more then five bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea's, June 26, 2010
This book is full of great ideas and references. It's truly a keeper and I can surely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written but ..., March 5, 2009
In this economy any book on making money is out-of-date when it hits the bookstores, but this book has some good information and ideas. While most of the freelance market right now seems dim to burned out, it doesn't hurt to try. If nothing else, for the professional writer, take the cost of this book off on your income taxes.

88 Money-Making Writing Jobs
88 Money-Making Writing Jobs by Robert W. Bly (Paperback - January 1, 2009)
$18.99 $7.60