5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!
When I started reading this book it was with the intention of reading for 15 to 30 minutes before going to bed. I couldn't stop reading until I had finished it.

I liked how the characters were introduced and how each detail of the plot was revealed throughout the book. The fast pace of the storyline didn't allow me to get bored for even a second...
Published on August 5, 2010 by Alex

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun Quick Read
Published on September 21, 2010 by Kale

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun Quick Read, September 21, 2010
This review is from: Hush Money (Talent Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)
Set in a world where people with special abilities are detained by the government never to be seen and heard from again, the Talent Chronicles has a lot of promise. Hush Money starts off following the duel perspectives of our young would be couple. Loner, Joss who was trained and conditioned to blend in, keep her head down, and look the other way, has been getting by isolating herself and only trusting her family. Semi delinquent, Dylan finds himself in one bad situation after another, and it's escalating, courtesy of his best friend Marco, but all he wants is out, and Joss. It seems like everyone has a secret (or talent) to hide in a place where one slip, or mistrust in the wrong person can get you sent away, but Joss, Dylan, and others are going to need to come together before the end, if they are to have any chance in the future. Full of talented teenagers reminiscent of X-Men, they are only just beginning to see the value of banding together against the NIAC (National Institute of Ability Control).

Hush money was a fun quick read. But I don't think the full potential of this idea has been met. I wanted more. Only the basic most simple storyline was resolved in this first book and I hope the author really takes the time to fully develop the more complex threads she has established in this book. I believe the Talent Chronicles could become a great mix of YA romance, and a comic book Bourne Identity, with our superhero teenagers trying to solve the NIAC's mysteries while fighting not to be taken, and experimented on. Only the next installments will tell how far Bischoff can push it to the next level.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, August 5, 2010
This review is from: Hush Money (Talent Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)

Overall it was a very enjoyable read.

If you are into young adult fiction with a good mix of action and plot... and a touch of romance thrown in for good measure, then this book is worth your time!

3.0 out of 5 stars Big Buildup for Nothing, February 7, 2011
This review is from: Hush Money (Talent Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)
Ugh! What a dissappointment! This book was absolutely incredible right up until the end.

When I read the words 'the end'--which, yes, it actually does say--I actually thought it was kidding because it hadn't even begun to address really any of the major issues--but it didn't leave enough left for a sequel! This book would have been a million times better if the author had taken the time to write another fifty pages or so.

The storyline, plot, buildup, and overall telling of this story was great. It went at what I felt was the perfect pace, and there was no weird varience in the main character's personality. There was an amazing plot buildup that made it all but impossible to put down as it built up to the climax, then...nothing. It's like the author just ran out of steam and rushed through the climax and ending to the point where the climax was all but nonexistant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, June 30, 2013
Finding great reads on Barnes and Noble's NOOKbook deals page is like finding money in last season's purse. I love it! Hush Money is my latest hidden gem.

The people in Bischoff's world are just like us except for one thing: some people have Talents. Talents are something people can do supernaturally that no one else can do. Examples are superhuman strength, invisibility, mind control, and the ability to shoot fire from your eyes. Reading back over that list, it's kind of Superman-ish. Each person with a Talent only has one ability, and most keep their Talents a secret, because people with Talents are taken away by the government for the safety of everyone else. How Talents came to exist is not explained (something I would have liked to know).

The concept of Talents reminded me of Kristin Cashore's Graceling, but not so much that it kept me from enjoying the story. The addition of the Talents is what makes this story so great. The other elements of the story are common enough in YA: a loner main character, the new friend, the enemy/bully, and the love interest. Bischoff handles these elements well and ties everything together to make a great story. The story is written in the first person point-of-view of both Joss and Dylan. The chapters alternated between the two main characters: something that can feel jumpy but was handled well.

I would recommend Hush Money to fans of YA and fans of dystopia. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars So intense, it left me exhausted, July 12, 2012
This review is from: Hush Money (Talent Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)
Page one, this book transported me back to grade school and kept me there. Ms. Bischoff captured the details exactly-the insecurities, the joys, the trials. Talk about reminiscing.

After a few pages, I didn't want to put this book down. Only sanity telling me I should sleep at some point before the kids started to wake in 2 hours got me in the bed. Then I forced myself to knock out my daily word count goals before picking it up again. This was the type of book that made me want to write... not just write but come up with a rockin' storyline. Cause Hush Money definitely had one.

I'm going to let you all in on a little secret. I absolutely hate knowing there's information to be had, but for some reason the author choose to withhold it. Thank you, Ms. Bischoff for not doing that to me. All the information was right there when I needed it. No teasing lines like, "I'll tell you later"or "we don't have time to talk right now." No. When the hero/heroine found out information, I got it too. I loved it. Why do I mention this? Because there was one particular chapter which ending on a cliff hanger. I was sure Ms. Bischoff was going to pull one of those stunts where I'd have to wait 12 chapters before the reveal. But no! I flipped... okay... not really flipped because it's an eBook, but I hit the next page and everything was unraveled in the next few paragraphs. I didn't even have time to get irritated. My gosh, you're good!

So what about the characters? Joss, I loved. She reminded me so much of my oldest daughter. Invisible, but not quite. Because really, being the unnoticed one in high school is enough to make you stand out. Odd how that works. That was Joss. That's my daughter. But there was more to her Joss--hidden, scared, alone... flawed. At one point I remember thinking it was so sad to watch bad things to happen to others and let people do bad things to you because you're afraid. She had so much room for personal growth. I loved watching her blossom.

Dylan, well it took me a while to warm up to him. He spent a lot of time rehashing/examining prior events. Yes, I felt for the predicament he was in, but not really for him. Once he really got into the action and made choices, I really got into the boy. He became a real hero rather than just a secondary character with a few scenes in his POV.

Even the villains were great. I don't know their whole story, but Ms. Bischoff wrote them in a way that had me wondering what got these folks to this point. Sure they were wicked and troublesome (yeah, understatement there), but they had a three dimensional kind of feel to them. Take Marco, for instance. He was villain enough to be a major problem. A real bully as Kat called him. Yet he was also purposeful in his actions.

The only thing I found lacking was the matter of character physical descriptions. Other than who was taller than whom and Kat being black (I think), I didn't know too much about what they all looked like. For instance, I gave Marco a buff build. But he was a teenager, and I doubt he'd have the time to bulk up to be the incredible hulk. I also started off all the guys as tall. But then I remembered, the average height for a female is about 5'4', so most guys would be taller than the girls even if they'd only hit 5'8'.

So plot. There were times in the book, I thought there was no way this work could stay this good. No way Bischoff could keep the momentum going. Somewhere it's going to crash and burn. I didn't want it to happen, but it was inevitable. And then I hit the end, still running at full speed.

With Hush Money, I never knew what would happen next, so I just kept turning the pages. Pretty much each scene ended on an `OMG! I can't believe that just happened' moment. Then we get to the place where a lot of books have what folks call "the saggy middle." In the case of Hush Money, this was where all hell broke loose. I didn't even have time for a breather. This book was super fast pace and so intense, it left me exhausted. The only thing I hated about the plot was not being able to read it fast enough.

I really wished someone would make a movie out of this one. Cause really, this book defied The Laws of the Universe. Yeah, I stole that line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., April 10, 2012
This review is from: Hush Money (Talent Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)
Action, drama, humor, & a main character I totally wanted to hang with. The world needs more superhero romance, and Susan Bischoff nails it in The Talent Chronicles. Move over X-Men - the Talents are in town.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stunning Start..., March 21, 2012
This review is from: Hush Money (Talent Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)
Because I'm always hoping to luck upon a literary diamond amongst the cubic zirconias of the world, I've been reading a lot of the cheap/bargain e-books lately.

And a lot of them, despite the GLOWING reviews on here have sucked the proverbial thousand year old egg.
Bad editing, brain numbingly irritating characters and crappy plotline had begun to make me a little wary of pulling the trigger, even if it's only .99

And I would like the give Susan Bischoff a resounding golf clap for restoring my faith in the "Kindle Bargain e-book"

I happened along a excerpt of "Heroes Till Curfew" ad the end of another e-book. And I liked it, it grabbed me. So I tottered on off to Amazon to look it up.
I discovered it was the second in the talent series. This, Hush Money being the first.

So I cued this up deciding I'd pull the trigger on the second after I'd slogged through a bit of this one. it was only .99 cents after all.

HELLOOOO Awesome.

If you're on the fence, or if like me you've been burned by other sludgy YA books lately. This book is good, really good, like almost super awesome good.

Ms. Bischoff has assembled an amazing assortment of characters, both good and bad.
The storyline zips along with the perfect amount of suspense and action. With the perfect amount of heart and budding romance. I queued up the next one immediately upon finishing this one last night. And have already finished that one (which is even more amazing if possible)

Not since Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) by Susan Ee, have I been in such fan girl squee over an author.

Seriously, go buy this book, and the second one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with entertainment!, December 22, 2011
This review is from: Hush Money (Talent Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)
I'm not a big YA reader, but I absolutely loved Hush Money. Joss was so three-dimensional to me. Even though superheroes and paranormal stuff have been saturating the market, Hush Money manages (very nicely) to carve out its own niche. I stayed up late to finish it, and actually dreamed about the characters! That's when you know the book made a big impact on you. ;) Can't wait to read Heroes 'Til Curfew.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Story!!, November 9, 2011
This review is from: Hush Money (Talent Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this story! Reading about Dylan and Joss, and all the other Talents. I couldn't stop reading it!

I loved the changing POV, especially being able to read Dylan's POV. I loved being inside his head, knowing what he's thinking, how he feels about Joss.

I'm not used to the changing POV, but Susan Bischoff has done an incredible job capturing Joss's and Dylan's personality and character.

Can't wait to read 'Heroes 'Til Curfew'!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kept me wanting to read more, March 11, 2011
This review is from: Hush Money (Talent Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)
It was fun and interesting, it reminded me of superheroes in comic books and smallville seies.
If you enjoy books with mild suspense and superpowers this is deffinately a book you will enjoy! There is mystery and many characters have talents, which are very much like superpowers that make them be wanted by the government. I loved trying to guess which characters had hidden talents. I finished the book and already want to read more.
The heroine of this book is loveable, she is shy but strong, a very interesting character indeed.
The author writes beautifully in a very Stiefvater like style, so if you like it you might also want to check Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls). It is also in the YA genre.
Another YA book I think you'll like if you liked this one is Distract my hunger because it flows smoothly like this book and has a very interesting heroine too.

Hush Money (Talent Chronicles)
$0.99