5.0 out of 5 stars Book Provides an "Aha" Experience
I never understood nor really liked baseball. I bought the book mostly to read about the inspired use of statistics, and the creative thinking that went into looking for the real keys to victory. I can safely say that while I may not have fallen in love with baseball, I will never find it boring again. If you have someone you want to turn into a fan, this book a superb...
Published on May 23, 2005 by Robert David STEELE Vivas

3.0 out of 5 stars What about pitching?
In 2002, the season that this book concerns itself with, the Oakland Athletics tied for the league lead with 103 victories. The book Moneyball frankly admits that it doesn't wish to concern itself with pitching, but rather with hitting--runs and on base percentage (OBP). The reader is told time again that runs and OBP define the game, that pitching is secondary and...
Published on August 7, 2007 by James Kunz

‹ Previous | 152 53 54100 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved every page, December 24, 2012
This review is from: Moneyball (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Movie Tie-in Editions) (Kindle Edition)
Billy Beane is way smarter than anyone gives him credit. Too bad his a baseball guy. He could have made billions on Wall Street.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, December 23, 2012
I always wondered why so many baseball traditionalists argued against the success of the Oakland A's, and now I know. In quality management, we call it, "Not invented here!"

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST read for baseball fans, December 22, 2012
Moneyball dives into the change in the way baseball teams are built so much deeper than just "new statistics." The depth of the story really helps you see the logic in what Billy Beane did in Oakland. Its not that the book is better than the move (even though it is), its just so much different and both are worth taking the tine to enjoy in their own way.

5.0 out of 5 stars even if you aren't a fan of baseball, December 20, 2012
Philip (Santa Barbara, California, United States) - See all my reviews
this is a really fascinating read. I looked at the movie and had to check out the book. good entertainment and informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great baseball book, December 20, 2012
This was a great read especially for a lifelong baseball fan. I have always been obsessed by statistics and I am not alone. I would recommend this to anyone professional as there are lessons here for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moneyball, December 19, 2012
Entertaining yet informational. Easy and interesting. Must read for baseball fans. Michael Lewis does a fantastic job of telling a story that is still being written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moneyball - a review, December 18, 2012
This review is from: Moneyball (Paperback)
As I rarely attend movies (Moneyball was made into a popular movie.) I was not familiar with this book until a "bookish" friend of mine suggested it. I enjoyed both the discribed baseball personalities and the baseball history as Mr. Lewis wove them together into an interesting and true tale of a period in the life of the Oakland Athletics and their manager Billie Bean. I'm not particularly a baseball fan and I found it to be a good and informative read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, December 17, 2012
Great story, lots of details and specifics, highly recommend this book to baseball fans and those interested in stats alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking; Excellent!, December 17, 2012
Michael Tozer (San Antonio, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moneyball (Paperback)
I came across this little gem of a book simply because our Direct TV provider offered a limited availability to certain premium movie channels that were then showcasing the excellent movie, starring Brad Pitt, that was based on this book. Watching snippets of the movie I became intrigued by some of the ideas presented therein and felt compelled to pick up the book. And I'm very glad I did. The book is excellent. You'll probably enjoy it whether you're a baseball fan, or simply a curious individual.

Michael Lewis wrote this book because he became intrigued with a simple question: How did the Oakland A's, one of the poorest franchises in baseball, win so many games? Michael's book then becomes a journey through the fascinating world of the business of baseball. Lewis illustrates clearly and convincingly that much of the received "wisdom" that dominated baseball economics for so long is simply foolish. Take, for example, the fact that baseball scouts have traditionally favored the best athletes over the baseball players who performed the most effectively at each previous level of play. Billy Beane, Oakland A's General Manager and the central character in this book, is the prime example of this. Beane was an amazing high school athlete who was signed straight out of high school by the New York Mets. However, he never really became an outstanding major league baseball player. Nonetheless, Beane was smart enough to understand that his career illustrated the muddled thinking of the traditional baseball scout.

There is, I think, much to be learned from this excellent book by Michael Lewis, irrespective of whether the reader is a baseball fan, or not. In fact, the very idea of challenging received wisdom and seeking to determine true causes and effects of success of any endeavor applies equally well to any enterprise. In fact, on reflecting on this wonderful text, I am frequently reminded of that old classic, "Strategy in Poker, Business, and War." To put it another way, and quoting dearly departed Brother Francis Maluf:

"Wisdom is the most perfect knowledge of the most important truths, in the right order of emphasis, accompanied by a total, permanent commitment to live accordingly."

We need to seek this level of wisdom in whatever we do. Michael Lewis conveys this very important thought in a book dedicated to baseball. But, in so doing, he also teaches us a great deal about life. I heartily recommend this excellent book. God bless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read for baseball fans., December 17, 2012
This book really opened my eyes to Sabermetrics. I never really understood them and now find myself looking to read more or the statistical analysis of the game.

‹ Previous | 152 53 54100 | Next ›