Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on December 22, 2012
Moneyball dives into the change in the way baseball teams are built so much deeper than just "new statistics." The depth of the story really helps you see the logic in what Billy Beane did in Oakland. Its not that the book is better than the move (even though it is), its just so much different and both are worth taking the tine to enjoy in their own way.
on June 8, 2014
I enjoyed the book as I am a baseball fan. Basically, it describes how Oakland moved from traditional player evaluations (scouting) to statistical analysis and metrics and the man behind the change. They also had a different take on which statistical categories were most important. However, if you are not a baseball fan you probably will not enjoy it.
on November 1, 2013
I fell in love with the story on the Movie Moneyball, since i'm Sports Journalist here in Brazil i decided to learn more about this whole event, and make me more aware what is happin here as well on the Football(soccer) market.
on August 23, 2013
It's not all about Billy Beane. It has amazing baseball stories from cover to cover while maintaining a David vs Goliath theme throughtout.
on December 13, 2012
Works as expected. Would buy it again and give it as a gift. The price was right and that is my story.
on October 2, 2012
I love baseball, so I love this book. It is a real history about real people. It cost me to become an A's fan. Thank you!
on March 19, 2012
I'm from Cleveland so don't hate me for hating baseball for most of my life. I don't much like statistics either, because they are so hard to explain to a neighbor, even those stats whose discovery is so rewarding. But MONEYBALL gave me the best view ever of those hypocrites that cite "the stats" over the radio and TV as if they really knew what they were talking about. How refreshing to learn that the game is not only rigged, but poorly rigged and that the owners have been the greatest fools. Shame on the business (as sport) that often would rather not hear the truth! If I laud the exposé it may also be because the taxpayers of Cleveland and other towns today are often asked to foot the bill for the owner's ignorance. If there is a petition available for signing that would draft author Mike Lewis into the football front offices of America, I'd sign it.

The best part of the book is the postscript, but don't read that first or you'll deprive yourself of a dessert worthy of the several-course steak dinner. For me Lewis is reminiscent of personal detail found in David Halberstam (The Reckoning, The Powers That Be) while sparing us the epic length of his findings.

I like to study businesses and this book is probably the best case study of an attempt to attach accurate metrics to performance in baseball. Now what most people want to see in baseball is all "Hollywood." Fancy double plays, base stealing, baseline bunts, basket catches and backhand nabs, brief, things that count for little in the scheme of winning. If that's what you want to read about, I'd suggest you buy another ticket to the game in your town. If you run a business though or would like to invest in one, this might not be the first book you should read about business analysis, but it is one that will add the most to your vocabulary as you seek to describe your vision of success while remaining objective about the metrics to follow within the enterprise budget.

Again, excellent journalistic kudos to Michael Lewis. The close-in discovery that confirms the desk research behind this book is hard to match. (It is often said that difficulty in scientific investigation is made more so because the effect of measurement changes the outcome. That certainly happened here, but I sincerely hope that it was at the expense of "The Club" and its "Women's Auxiliary." Again, read the postscript and enjoy...
on February 27, 2013
This is a book that I really enjoyed from a business perspective on innovation and also as in insight into the world of sports. The applicability of statistics and innovation to any industry can be gleaned from this story. I found the book more exciting to read after having watched the movies as that gave the characters (in the book) more life.
on September 25, 2014
I grew up playing "The Great American Pastime" but misplaced my enthusiasm somewhere in young adulthood. This book reawakened my appreciation for baseball game theory. As with so many books-turned-movies, you need to read the full story to experience the magnitude of saber metrics and the changing tide brought about by the Oakland A's.
on June 28, 2013
This story is now famous. But having just read this, one part of the story that maybe isn't focused on enough is how amazingly well Billy Beans adapted his life in baseball. Failing baseball at first and then becoming recognized as one of the best, if not THE best GM in the game, is life lesson in itself and a great reason to read this book.