5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Experience with this Bike!
Published on August 31, 2011 by Beverly75

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the Return policy!
Published on December 22, 2011 by Dan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Experience with this Bike!, August 31, 2011
This review is from: Mongoose Women's Woodland Bicycle (White) (Sports)
So after reading a couple of reviews for this bike, I was worried about what the set-up would be like. I can honestly say it was a joyful experience for me! I had no trouble whatsoever- in fact, and I don't recommend this, but...I didn't even need the instruction manual. All you do is pop the handlebars into place and set it to the appropriate height and tighten with an Allen wrench...put the front wheel on, TOTALLY self-explanatory, and screw on the peddles. I did need to adjust the front disc brake, easily achievable with the dial provided, and also adjust the handles, also easily done with allen wrench. I am not a mechanically savy person but this was a piece of cake. The bike is beautiful and is a very smooth ride. I couldn't be happier!

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the Return policy!, December 22, 2011
This review is from: Mongoose Women's Woodland Bicycle (White) (Sports)
I bought this bike for my wife and the seat height was too tall. I requested a return through Amazon. Unfortunately for me I did not research the return policy before buying the bike. Well, the seller, OJcommerce responded with a return authorization. In which it stated I must return the bike to CA at my cost, and there would be a 30% restocking fee. The shipping, OK but the 30% is very steep and was not mentioned in the original Amazon listing. By the time I ship the bike from my home in FL and loose the 30% resotcking fee, I will have lost about 50% of what I paid for the bike. If I would have know this up front I would not have bought the bike. Bottom line, I'm not returning the bike but will try to sell it locally and will probably recover more than if I returned it to the seller. That is not good customer service in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you change the seat the bike is perfect!, December 19, 2011
This review is from: Mongoose Women's Woodland Bicycle (White) (Sports)
Darn that seat was so uncomfortable! I was in pain for about a week and a half! lololol When I peddled the bike and stood up on the peddles the ride was perfect! I went and purchased a new seat the next day and the bike is now perfection! Rides like a dream! On the second run I took it for a ride in the woods. Up and down hills with no problem....in the mud...no slipping....able to shift gears smoothly....no problems at all with it! Including that everyone's eyes were on the bike offering lots of compliments on how nice it looks! Great bike...Oh I forgot to add that I added a child trailer hitch to it and pulled along my 5 year old so smooth I forgot he was back there ( dont know yet whether that is good or bad) but my baby boy enjoyed the ride! Go for it....great purchase just be ready to change the seat!

I just wanted to add that ordering from Amazon is always a pleasure! Ordered the bike online and was shipped within 2 days....free shipping btw...saved me a nice amount of money on that! Love Love Love Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for!, December 10, 2012
This review is from: Mongoose Women's Woodland Bicycle (White) (Sports)
Before reading further, note: I paid $150 for a bicycle and expected a $150 bicycle. I got what I paid for and am pleased! So far, we've done a couple of rides down the mountains in Park City and have only experienced user-induced problems (see "whoops" below)

CONSTRUCTION: The bike has fairly robust construction and, surprisingly, isn't overly heavy. I was a little disappointed at how large the bike was. I had bought this for my 5'3" wife and it was a little big for her. Still, it's not uncomfortably large and she has enjoyed her rides on it. Putting the bike together was a breeze. All you do is put the wheels, handlebar, seat and pedals on. It took me about 15 minutes to get the whole thing together

MECHANICS: The weakest part of this bike is the braking system. After assembling the bike, it took me an hour to get the stupid front brakes adjusted... the front disc brakes are very finicky and, if improperly adjusted, will drag and squeak, making your ride both annoying and much more difficult. The gears seem robust enough to take some abuse. The front shock absorber is not adjustable. The rear spring IS adjustable so long as you've got a strong grip. You have to spin a nut that compresses the spring... not an easy task for smaller people. Fortunately, the ride it provides is amazingly smooth. When I took it for a ride, I couldn't feel bumps in the road anymore. Trail riding is much easier on this than on my front-suspension-only bike. Note that there isn't a dampener on this rear spring. If you want one you're going to have to shell out some more cash!

WHOOPS: Before riding this bike, make sure you tighten everything! I had tightened the bolt on top of the handlebars but apparently didn't tighten it enough. As we took our first ride, my wife looked back and said "Oops, we have a problem..." Her wheel had turned 90 degrees and her handlebars were pointed straight forward. I'm a pretty strong guy and can attest to the statement that you probably can't tighten this bolt enough. There's another bolt on the handlebar that prevents them from spinning. Same deal here, tighten it way more than you think you need to!

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS: You may be asking yourself, "would it be worth it to spend more money and get a better bike?" Keep in mind that as you increase the amount of money you spend on a bike, your returns slowly decrease which is to say that a $300 bike will not be twice as good as this $150 bike. What you'll be paying for are stronger and/or lighter materials, better brakes, stronger and more responsive gearing and more robust and adjustable shocks. Not to mention that some people spend thousands of dollars on high-tech wheels with fairings, but you don't want those on a mountain bike. What I'm getting at is: do you really need these things to be better? All we do with this bike is take it up a chairlift and ride it down the mountain. It doesn't matter how heavy the bike is and we don't really use the front brake at all. We're not pro riders so a better suspension would be lost on us. Take some time and decide what you really need out of a bike before spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a toy you might only use a couple of times a year!

Feel free to drop me a note with specific questions!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Bike but major factory assembly issues, October 31, 2010
This review is from: Mongoose Women's Woodland Bicycle (White) (Sports)
I bought this bike for my wife who is 5'3" and it is the perfect height for her. The bike in general is decent but there are a lot of assembly issues. It came partially assembled meaning the front tire, handlebars and seat weren't attached. If you are not familiar with assembling bikes this can be a nightmare putting this bike together. First the front brake magnets had fallen out of the front disc brake and were loose in the bottom of the box which I didn't notice until after I mounted the wheel and realized the brakes weren't engaging. What this caused to happen is in the housing behind the brake pads there are ball bearings that when you squeeze the brake lever they turn and put pressure on the pads pushing them into the disc to stop the bike, these fell out also because the pads weren't holding them in place. I had to call the seller and they sent a replacement front break very fast. Problem two was the handlebars and gear shifters. The bars always come backwards for packaging but they mounted the shifters upside down on the wrong sides of the handlebars and the wires were all criss crossed. Spinning the handle bars around isn't a problem but getting the handle grips off to switch the shifters can be tricky, I used an air compressor to blow air into the hole on the end of the grip and they slid right off, otherwise they are on preety tight and are hard to get off. Once I got the grips off and switched the shifters and untangled the wires everything was good just minor brake adjustments. The bike looks great and rides really well just really poor assembly and the factory that is why I gave this a 4 star, if they had 3 1/2 that is more realistic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed product description, June 24, 2012
This review is from: Mongoose Women's Woodland Bicycle (White) (Sports)
I bought the mongoose mountain bike because a) well, it's a mongoose and I love their products. b) it's a beautiful bike with a striking color combination. c) considering a & b, you can't beat the price. A day after it arrived, I am taking the bike apart and shipping it back. Why? Because of a flawed item description on the site. This is a RACING bike. What does that mean? The pedal set up is directly underneath you on the frame vs slightly in front as in other bikes. This means you pedal behind yourself. Very different, and very uncomfortable for my husband who I forced to take a turn on it--as with my injured knee from an ACL tear (my reason for buying the bike--rehab) it was impossible for me to bend my injured knee far enough back to even pedal the bike at all.

If you don't mind having to lean forward to pedal to be even slightly comfortable? It's an amazing bike. The shock absorber does an amazing job even while I was just sitting on the bike, hopping around trying to ride it, it is well made, and definitely a flashy looker if you're in to that. With the pedal setup, it is just not what I needed, and probably not what most people are expecting--I know I wasn't. If I'd known it was a racing style bike I wouldn't have purchased it. This is a great cautionary tale of buying sight unseen--thank god Amazon has a wonderful return policy and was willing to refund me completely since it was descriptive error. I'll be going to a bike store and shelling out a few more $$$ just to make sure I get the right thing, first time around.
]

2.0 out of 5 stars Gearing was tough.., July 8, 2011
Winnie (Park City, UT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mongoose Women's Woodland Bicycle (White) (Sports)
Bought for my daughter. She had difficulty with the gears and could not peddle because it was too hard to spin. I guess if you take it into a bike shop and have them adjust it would be fine. I sent it back. Also it was a bit too large for my daughter. She is 5'2".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price!!, December 31, 2012
Victoria (Lethbridge, Alberta, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mongoose Women's Woodland Bicycle (White) (Sports)
Bought this for my daughter for Christmas. Assembled pretty easy. Back tire is already on the frame when shipped and we did notice a very slight dent in the rear rim... but she loved the bike so much that we decided not to return it. Otherwise it is a great bike for the price!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike, April 30, 2012
This review is from: Mongoose Women's Woodland Bicycle (White) (Sports)
Love the bike. I had someone put it together for me since I'm not bike savvy. Love it. Advise getting cushy seat cover.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Bike, May 29, 2012
This review is from: Mongoose Women's Woodland Bicycle (White) (Sports)
This is a nice bike. I would definitely recommend purchasing a different seat however. The stock seat is VERY uncomfortable. I also thought that the bike was a hot pink and white by the picture and the description didn't state a color. It is not pink, but red, and that is ok. So far it seems to be working perfectly. The bike came partially assembled. I feel the company should include instructions for what is left to assemble to make it a bit easier to understand. It also arrived at my house about 2 weeks ahead of schedule too, which was GREAT!!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›