4.0 out of 5 stars Engaged Spirituality
Published on July 26, 2002 by Khenpo Drimed Dawa

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
It's kind of a slow read, or was for me, at least. I wasn't expecting it to be so organized religion based.
Published 5 months ago by Donald Huffstutler

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaged Spirituality, July 26, 2002
Extending the message of THE MYSTIC HEART, Teasdale articulates a challenge to all of us to live our spirituality by engaging the world and it's many problems through the lovingkindness, compassion, mercy and justice at the core of the great spiritual traditions. The challenge is an important one during this period of spiritual awakening that we are experiencing, particularly in the USA. Self-centered spirituality ignores the core teachings of Jesus, Buddha, and so many others regarding selfless love and service. His challenge is nothing less than to change the world, to create "a civilization with heart!"
In doing so, he describes a variety of spiritual practices and perspectives, punctuated with personal and other stories. He then articulates a number of critical social needs, focusing on some of his personal passions: homelessness, oppression of Tibet, and world violence.
He also critices the Catholic Church for its failures to fulfill the Christian message of compassion and service in the world, particularly for the poor and oppressed in Tibet, China, and elsewhere. In the end, Teasdale offers a challenge to the Church to be the "matrix" or model for the interfaith dialogue and "a new human order."
The book includes numerous suggestions for each of us to engage our spirituality in the world through compassionate action and service. It is an important message for the new millennium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical ideas on how to help humanity based on the spiritual traditions of Christianity, Hinduism, and Buddhism, October 2, 2009
Jerome Ryan (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Monk in the World: Cultivating a Spiritual Life (Paperback)
Teasdale, a Catholic lay monk, combines the spiritual traditions of Christianity, Hinduism, and Buddhism to describe how to live in a large hectic city like Chicago. He talks about the homeless of the city, a recent bout with cancer, the need to make a living, support for a free Tibet, and the constraints of working within a church he loves but with which he has publicly disagreed. Teasdale looks to other monks in the world including Thomas Merton, the Dalai Lama, Bede Griffiths, Thomas Keating, and Thich Nhat Hanh to exemplify just what a life of truly integral spirituality might mean to us.

I really enjoyed this book for its practical down-to-earth recommendations on how to help humanity, like helping homeless people, while living the busy life in a city.

5.0 out of 5 stars Walking in Christ's footsteps, June 24, 2009
Emil Toth (South Bend, IN United States) - See all my reviews
Br. Wayne Teasdale inspires and encourages us to lead the mystic life, while living a life outside the walls of an abbey or convent. He is a loving revolutionist who entices us to be more than we thought we could be. His exemplary life is expressed beautifully within the confins of the book's covers. Br. Teasdale has chosen to walk in Christ's footsteps. I've walked next to him and was awed by the sincerity and kindness he shared with those in his 'neighborhood'. This world needs more men and women who want to incorporate his ideals into their lives. Teasdale has left us with his love and understanding of what we can aspire to. The book is a wonderful read.

BATU: The Transformation

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done, July 12, 2002
Read this book if you hunger for more than just the daily grind. Teasdale will light the lampost to the formation of the interior silence. A great book by a man who is not afraid to share his vision and experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You Brother Teasdall, June 27, 2009
Amy Brown (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
I'm buying another copy for my meditation teacher because I want to keep mine. It will go in the pile of my top 3% of all the many books I've read on spirituality. Brother Teasdale is a Catholic monk who defied tradition by opening up to all the spiritual traditions of the world. Mystics are open...and aware. He's a realized person who realized that all positive religions at their core are centered on God and working to transform souls from the self-centered life of ego based on greed to alturistic compassion and love for all beings and the world. He's a rare person who has been awakened...something that only those who see...can see. Hopefully some day there will be more people, and as more and more people become at peace so will the world. This book is ahead of it's time and shining light on the dawning of the spirituality age that is just starting to crack on the conciousness of humanity.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, February 13, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Interspirituality, November 26, 2013
I like the simple way in which Teasedale moves to
express the beauty of diversity we experience in
the presence of the divine. I felt the best chapter
was the one on "Interspirituality." It is so good
that he did the work to show us how to go about
being faithful in our relationships with friends of
other religions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Being a Monk in the modern day world, April 30, 2013
This was an excellent recounting of his personal experiences of trying the live the dedicated Christian life in the real world. He believes passionately that monks should be in the real world contributing (as Christ did) to the welfare of their fellow men. He does not see the need to hide in a monastary away from real life. He compared it to living in a hot house, which is an apt metaphor for the traditional monk's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great book for the spiritual journey, January 1, 2013
Laurie M. "Laurie M." (Canby, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a wonderful companion on the spiritual journey. I read a little bit everyday and it gives me a lot to digest

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking, important reading, August 8, 2002
How does one cultivate a spiritual life in the modern world? In 1986 the author accepted an invitation to visit a Benedictine monk living in India: his third visit prompted an invitation to take an Indian monkhood. His experiences as a monk and mystic make for thought-provoking, important reading.

A Monk in the World: Cultivating a Spiritual Life
A Monk in the World: Cultivating a Spiritual Life by Wayne Teasdale (Paperback - September 18, 2003)
$15.95 $13.81