Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > The White Album forum

Mono version

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 18, 2008 5:49:00 PM PDT
Tony says:
I hope the far superior mono version of this album becomes available

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 3:37:30 PM PST
It is.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2009 3:59:51 AM PST
If it is, how can I find it?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2009 6:53:47 AM PST
Tony says:
hi gregg

you basically can only find it on ebay. it is generally avail on LP as an item up for bidding. it is also avail in CD format, but is illegal, (as it is a bootleg) this album (the mono verion) has never been released in the USA.

tony

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2009 4:13:09 AM PDT
Hello Tony,

Thanks for the information. Hopefully, sometime in the future, the mono version will be officially released on CD.

Gregg

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2009 4:31:20 AM PDT
Tony says:
hi gregg
it appears it will be. on 09/09/09 apple will be releasing all the beatles albums in remstered form. two box sets will be released. these albums will be in the original UK sequencing. one set will be in stereo. the other in mono. the stereo versions will also be released individually. i have not read if the mono versions will. go to the official beatles website for additional info
btw check out the video on amazon or beatles website to hear samples of the remasters. they are fabulous

tony

Posted on Jun 26, 2009 12:34:18 PM PDT
A. Mohtashem says:
Why does everyone love mono so much?
I think stereo is far superior

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2009 12:44:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2009 12:45:56 PM PDT
Tony says:
not in the case of the beatles catalog. the mono mixes are far superior in terms of rawness. they have a rougher sound plus the songs themselves (in the case of the white album) are different in length and content (helter skelter, obla-di, while my guitar, etc). it is not uncommon for beatles fans to own both stereo and mono and anerican and british versions due to until sgt peppers amer and brit song track listings are far different. being amer i am much more familliar with the amer releases tho the british releases are superior.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2009 6:56:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2009 7:02:43 AM PDT
DKPete says:
While the albums are significant for the alternate mixes, the stereo versions sound better, cleaner..lot less clutter given the limitations of four track recording. I own all the mono versions on vinyl from the eighties U.K. re-issues. Some of the differences-like the ones just mentioned, are pretty jaw dropping-especially if the stereo versions are the only ones one had been familiar with for decades on end. Bur again, in my opinion, the stereo versions-particularly of the post Rubber Soul albums-are a more pleasing aural experience. Hopefully, the remastering will improve on the aforementioned shortcomings of the mono mixes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2009 8:41:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2009 8:49:59 AM PDT
Tony says:
hi

i think its a matter of preferrence, i think abbey road or sgt peppers would not sound as great in mono, but all the early albums up to revolver are better in mono (esp. the white album). it will be interesting to hear the remasters. from the snippets i've heard, they sound fantastic but new controversies will arise as technically you have new versions of every song (will every note be in exactly the same spot as in the originals, will instruments be more or less noticable, how will vocals and harmomys now sound, etc)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2010 8:50:06 AM PDT
Abbey Road was never mixed or released in mono in either the US or the UK, and The Beatles (White Album) came out after Revolver contrary to your statement.

Posted on Nov 2, 2010 9:57:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2010 10:01:38 AM PDT
Tony says:
you are correct abbey road was never released in mono in the us or uk it was however released in south anerican countries, i have a copy of both abbey and let it be that were released in south america. i think uou misunderstood my comment about revolver. i know it came out before the white one. i was merely stating my preference for the white in mono

tony

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 2:46:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 16, 2011 10:39:51 AM PDT
Bob Bykowski says:
In my opinion, the mono mixes of every Beatles album through 'Revolver' are clearly superior. However, in the cases of 'Sgt. Pepper', 'Magical Mystery Tour' and 'The White Album', I much prefer the stereo mixes. Why ? Because these later albums had lots of little instrumental flourishes and vocal add-ons that seem to disappear when listening in mono. 'The White Album', in particular, is the one Beatles album prior to 'Abbey Road' that REALLY seems to benefit from a stereo mix --it gives that album a more full, dramatic sound which suits the mood of the recording. That's my two cents, anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 10:37:41 AM PDT
Tony says:
hi robert

the mono version has amore of a had edge rock feel to it. it sounds more aggressive. i do love both tho. lol

tony

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2011 10:43:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 16, 2011 10:46:39 AM PDT
Bob Bykowski says:
Hi Tony,

I agree with your statement that the mono version has a more edgy rock feel. But the little things such as, for example, "Helter Skelter" not returning after the original fade-out (and therefore losing Ringo's infamous yell "I've got blisters on my fingers !"), as well as certain vocal overdubs that are missing throughout the album are what make me prefer the stereo mix. That's all.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 3:27:10 PM PDT
Pacific808 says:
George Martin - and all of EMI's engineers - spent far, far longer mixing down the songs in mono. Back then, stereo was still kind of a new "fad." Not everyone had a stereo player, but everyone had a record player in mono. So, if you really want to hear the superior mixing methods and superb editing and punch in's and punch out's, the mono versions are the ones to listen to. The stereo mixes were usually sloughed off on some EMI engineer to do, unobserved, in the wee hours of the morning, long after the Beatles and George Martin had gone off to bed.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 6:50:31 AM PDT
Who wants a rock song to sound "cleaner" or with less "clutter"? Cleaner means softer and less "clutter" means it doesn't sound as intense.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 4:13:03 PM PDT
D. Peters says:
Sgt Pepper sounds better in mono. That's how I feel, and that was George Harrison's opinion also.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The White Album forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Jun 18, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Beatles [Vinyl]
The Beatles [Vinyl] by The Beatles (Vinyl - 1995)
4.5 out of 5 stars (1,781)