"This groundbreaking book is for anyone who is or has been married and those who counsel married couples. Brandon paints a clear picture of what can be done to reset the course toward "succulent monogamy.'" --Alan M. Altman, MD
"Brandon outlines practical steps with which couples can grow toward mature sexuality and deeper intimacy. This book is a gift to professional and lay readers from a thoughful, reality-based perspective."
--Julian Slowinski, Psy.D, ABPP
"Brandon gives us the tools to remain (or become again) passionately monogamous. This book must be on the bookshelves of every therapist and should be required reading for couples contemplating marriage." --Andrew T. Goldstein, MD, FACOG
"When it comes to human sexuality, most books offer either technical information without practical suggestions, or how-to advice without much underlying substance. This is a refreshing and much needed exception." --David P. Barash
"Packed with sound, useful, and inspiring exercises, Brandon's work combines the best of human experiential knowledge, scientific research, and years of professional experience." --Stephen L. Braveman, LMFT, DST
• Addresses a particularly relevant and timely topic in the current era of widely publicized infidelity and divorce among public figures
• Reveals the previously ignored aspects of human sexual motivation to allow for a societal paradigm shift and help couples overcome the challenges of monogamy
• Provides a concise, scientific explanation for the prevalence of sexual dysfunction and affairs and why most relationships lose passion over time
• This is the first book to explain how to make your sexual instincts work for you—instead of against you—in a romantic relationship
• Presents an unprecedented summary of current scientific research relating to monogamy
• Real-life vignettes document the most common intimate struggles for couples—and reveal how to repair them
• Provides an extensive list of exercises for men, women, and couples designed to strengthen their sensual connection
• Gives readers a practical, step-by-step approach for connecting with sexual instincts and perfecting one's skills as a lover
• Helpful index supplies easy access to key information
"An excellent example of the expansion of knowledge in the area of relationships and sexuality, this book will serve not only marriage therapists and couples but also scholars interested in this subject. Summing Up: Recommended. Graduate students through faculty and professionals; general readers."
"Dr. Marianne Brandon's Monogamy: The Untold Story shines a bright, new light on the age old problem of how to feel sexual passion in an ongoing sexual relationship. Monogamy contains some startling insights. Dr. Brandon explodes the myth that monogamy should be easy if you're with the 'right person'. Both thoughtful and quirky, she asks us to ask ourselves some very interesting, deep, and thought-provoking questions about our own sexuality. Hers is a strong and unusual voice. In language at times scientific, other times erotic, Dr. Brandon reminds us that our biology works against us. We must learn to feel pleasure in ongoing, monogamous unions. And she teaches us how, with great exercises and wonderful advice. By pointing out the problems with monogamy and offering unique and creative solutions, Dr. Brandon does us all a great service. I highly recommend Monogamy."
Aline P. Zoldbrod, PhD, certified sex therapist; faculty, University of Michigan Sexual Health Certificate Program; author, SexSmart: How Your Childhood Shapes Your Sexual Life and What to Do About It