I can only guess that the initial reviews are from former disgruntled employees or associates. The only negative I could find was the lack of examples. There were several, but the examples had a "hand picked" quality to them. Now for the good stuff.

Harshaw's explanation about why advertising has changed over the last 50 years is absolutely spot on. His explanation as to why advertisers go for slogans and jingles is lucid and well written. His "Marketing Equation" is a clever twist on the A.I.D.A (attention interest desire action) formula. But it is so well put together that it reads as a new idea.
Assume this book is $25. For that price you get several proven ad examples that can be used as templates, a complete method to create profitable headlines, a complete system for writing ads that will keep you from wasting money in unprofitable advertising, and a damn good read.
For most advertisers, this book is a brisk slap in the face that will wake them up to what marketing IS.

The only point I may dis-agree with is his method of advertising that pulls in everyone despite where they are in a buying cycle. On the surface this seem like THE way. But if you direct your advertising to the customers who are almost ready to buy, you will get slightly lower results at a much lower cost. His method is more useful for direct mail than for retail. He concentrates on lead generation to build a list that will buy with several contacts. This is very useful for direct mail offers, lead generation for a sales force, or a high end retail store.

Where the "these methods won't work" reviews come from, I don't know. I've been using almost exactly the same copywriting methods for several years in my retail business with phenomenal success.

My strong suspicion is that the people who say these methods don't work, have never tried them.

This covers advertising from a different angle.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 27, 2009
In 1994 I decided that I needed to learn as much as possible about sales and marketing for my business. I met Dan Kennedy at a seminar and he inspired me. I studied everything I could, trying to find my way with no clear direction until I heard about Monopolize Your Marketplace through a radio advertisement.

Since then I've become a raving fan. The concepts and ideas in this book work. The Marketing Equation works. The concept of reticular activator and using hot buttons in headlines will make a huge difference in the response you get from any advertisement.

The deal is this. It aint easy. But, once you "Get It" a whole new world of success will open up.

Mr. Harshaw has got to be one of the greatest marketing minds ever and I'm not drinking MYM cool-aid.
on November 28, 2011
I am shocked at the negative reviews. I went through this program about 8 years ago as a group study project with 8 other entrepreneurs. To do it right requires a great deal of time - probably 200 hours for my small business. It was the most worthwhile experience I have ever had in marketing. The thought process that you go through transforms your views on what your business does and what it should stand for in a way that you can communicate to customers. It shows you how to identify and communicate the value you provide. Convincing customers to choose you instead of others then becomes easy - they see your business as a compelling alternative to any competitors you may have. It showed us what made us different and where to focus our efforts to make ourselves more different and to allow us to provide better service. This allowed us to spend our time on what our customers really wanted and stop wasting time with what they didn't want.

We were actually able to charge more than many of our competitors but what we do and what they do are different. We add more value and create more benefits and our customers are willing to pay for that. The result was more customers and revenue and, because we were not wasting time with low value products/services, our profits and profit percentage increased tremendously.

You can't just read this book and cherry pick a few ideas from it though. It requires a significant commitment of time and energy which then generate really significant returns.
on April 12, 2013
I own a service-based business (house cleaning) in the Midwest and this book opened my eyes to marketing to consumers versus wasting dollars on useless advertising. We've implemented all the strategies in this book on every marketing piece we send out, even our website.

Since I've read the book, we've cut our marketing budget in half. So far, we've seen 20% growth in the last three quarters. Can I say it's a direct result from the book? Maybe, maybe not. However, we've been following the marketing tactics in the book and have seen tremendous results.

This book is a great read but not one you want in the hands of your competition.
Hi,

This is a fantastic book about marketing and I think I can back that up. The first time I read it, I didn't like it that much. The second time through I loved it. And I think part of that was due to finding some webinars for free by Rich which I'll explain in a second.

I think the negative reviews stem from a program Rich ran many years ago that trained consultants and some were disgruntled. That program has NOTHING at all to do with the value of this absolutely exceptional book.

I've read roughly in the range of 3,000-5,000 books...hard to count them. I have 2 library rooms in my house. I have spent as much as $30,000 in a single year on books and courses and taught marketing at seminars around the world.

I'm wondering if they didn't read the last chapter where he explains step-by-step exactly how he took a pool table manufacturing company from losing tons every month to making 7 million in 13 months.

Here is why this book is exceptional:

1. There are hardly any books that have a method that really works to sell your product or service at a PREMIUM price and keep it from being a commodity.

Usually the few books in that genre just tell you to sell for more but from my perspective don't have a workable plan for doing so. This book gives you a true plan. Dan Sullivan at Strategic Coach teaches this I believe roughly for sums that were charged the ex disgruntled consultants in training. By the way, on that note I'm just going on think info I read on a few websites.

2. The plan is to:

a. Interrupt the prospect. This is what NLP calls a pattern interrupt. This needs to dovetail with an important and relevant hot button, not just get attention.

b. Engage with important and relevant hot buttons.

c. Educate -- This is where the book excels at giving examples of how you educate prospects on the criteria they should use when they buy and it allows you to AVOID commoditization.

d. Offer -- Offer info. The info then is where step c or the education is carried out in depth.

The book has enough examples to bring this life and is supplemented with about 7 webinars you'll find on Youtube or on their website in the archives under the remodeling section. The one on roi in advertising is exceptional.

This book is about how to sell VALUE via educational marketing. I don't know of one other book that teaches it like this. There are others about value-based selling but they don't teach how to do it using direct response and methods other than 1-on-1 sales.

And even on that point Rich excels by showing on a free webinar how to use pre-positioning packets to educate prospects.

If you're a serious student of marketing, or you have a business and are getting clobbered by price competition, commoditization and customers who don't want to pay for value and seem only to care about price, I highly recommend this.

Be sure to read the last chapter where he walks through the whole case study on taking the pool table company from losing tons of money every month to making 7 million dollars in 13 months. That illustrates all the principles in action.

Then go to youtube and hunt down the webinars or find them in the archives on his site under remodeling.

By the way, I don't know Rich. Have never met or talked to him. I have no incentive to write this.

Buy the book. BUT read it carefully. Don't just skim it. You kind of have to drill down DEEP into the interrupt, engage, educate, offer formula to really get the value of what Rich is saying.

Marlon Sanders
marlonsanders.com
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've always felt advertising and marketing fail for the most part, out of lack of consideration of the customer. According to Rich Harshaw, that's only half of the failure. It's vital to understand both the inside reality and accurately convey it so that customer's outside perception not only matches, but he comes to the unmistakable conclusion that you're the most logical choice to handle his business.

Although I find most of the principles groundbreaking, I see the templates as useful tools. Not necessarily as guidelines handed down from God. It's useful to use the ideas along with proven advertising principles. The main thing is keeping your target audience in mind.

MYM has groundbreaking principles to differentiate your brand, but it doesn't stop there. this meaty book is full of nuts & bolts, practical tools, templates, hopper and lead generation systems.... It's actually so full of ideas that anyone wanting to monopolize their marketplace would be an absolute fool to go looking anywhere else for this advertising and marketing toolbox.
on August 15, 2013
SO it seams that some reviews were expecting Rich to come to their homes, start a business for them, work at it with them until it was profitable, and then help them turn the corner and go from a small profitable company to a hugely profitable company. Seems silly..... except that is just how I feel about this book and his 10 CD set. I literally can hear Rich's voice in my head every time I need inspiration.

This was truly a "learn how to think differently" experience that has better my life and the lives around me.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After being told by a client how good the book was, I enthusiastically bought the CD for car time. My dollar cost was about $5 including shipping, but the bigger cost was the waste of over 2 hours of time listening to someone say he did not have enough time to go into details but that you should buy a full blown program or seminar or whatever where he would spill all. I have read every little print on the cover and it does not state that the CD is a cut down version--or at least I am assuming it is compared to the book. Being a professional speaker and author, I hate to say something like this was a waste but I can now see why there are so many copies of this available for $1. I can't say the book is worth the price as I don't know, but the CD is worth exactly the going market rate as long as you don't value your time into the equation.
on August 24, 2005
"Separate Your Business from the Competition Then Eliminate Them". This sounds so cool...but Mr. Harshaw is full of cool terms and one-liners. These Harshaw-isms do not work. Marketing is hard, hard work, and Rich makes one believe that cleverly worded material will make all the difference. Millions of dollars have been invested by individuals to try to make Monopolize Your Marketplace concepts in this book work. An overwhelming majority of these folks did not come near what is espoused in this book. It is "pure" fantasy.
on October 11, 2010
This is the overview product, and of course, the goal is to get you to purchase their 10 CD set. However, many years ago I was in a hurry and needed to write an ad. I had never written one before and a friend handed me this 2 CD set and a booklet. In less than 4 hours I had an ad submitted to the newspaper AND it drew in 4 paying customers the first week it ran. The topic was Hair Restoration and 1 customer paid for the month of running the ad. The other 3 customers were basically gravy. Each week the ad pulled in additional customers. All that from two hours of listening and 2 hours of applying their step by step system.
I eventually purchased the 10 CD class and now I design effective direct mail pieces and websites using this formula.
Now, would I buy this 2 CD set? Nay, you can download it for free from their website! So if you are in a hurry, download and get started making money today!