4.0 out of 5 stars Good Transition of a Board Game
Assuming that you're a fan of the classic Monopooly board game, and that you are open-minded about making the digital transition, this game is a good product.

Published on March 10, 2009 by Joshua Jacobsen

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite the disappointment
Published on October 26, 2008 by Ceryphym

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite the disappointment, October 26, 2008
Ceryphym "comic book geek" (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monopoly (Video Game)
I am a big fan of Monopoly and was very excited to get my hands on this game (I pre-ordered it from Amazon). The short version of my review is to say that the Wii version is inferior in almost all respects to the X-Box version (and I don't mean the 360, the X-Box from 7 years ago). Although it is pretty to look at, the playability is horrible. The game has almost no configurable options (e.g., skip animations) and requires you to arrow over everything you want to do, even when there are no options other than to continue. Some of the buttons even require you to arrow over them, arrow off of them, then try again (bug). The game set-up options are also very poor, not even allowing you to set the game to play like the board version (e.g., you can't set the pay space between Park Place and Boardwalk to the correct fee). So, good eye candy but I think I'll stick with my old X-Box version. <sad>

update - Well, I gave the game another chance and it got worse. I almost had the AI beat when it put me in a "trade" loop where the computer kept offering me the same three trades over and over endlessly. I had to turn the game off to escape eventually. Very frustrating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Some Major Flaws, November 15, 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Monopoly (Video Game)
Okay so let me give you background. I bought the Wii for my wife so she can use the Wiifit. I am a 43 year old weekend Dad with a 14 year old daughter. I decided it might be cool to bring the family together to play video games since we all love them but there is not much interaction on a PC (especially when we are playing different games). I saw an advertisement for this game and thought, hey I loved it as a kid maybe the new wii version will be cool for the family. My wife and I tried the game out last night. We played one whole game all the way through. As a two player selection you end up with two computer players and I left the "easy" default on. The game basically is intact and plays like the real rules of the board game. There are some special features like different ways to play Monopoly and I will speak to those in a moment. So we started off playing and the first thing I notice after 2 rolls of the dice that there isn't a way to stop the music. I tried the usual suspects and nothing. The only option this game has is to turn on captions. The music is bad, real bad, annoying and repetitive. You can't even turn it down because you kind of have to hear the dialog of the game. Why? Well that leads me to my second complaint and it's a doozy! Even with my 42" HDDLP TV the playing surface is really small. They have a cheesy zoom feature but the game mechanics for it are not aligned correctly it just zooms to the corners. This game could have rocked. It could have been and should have been a killer recreation with neat graphics of a timeless board game. The ONLY redeeming quality which did catch a glimmer of interest was in the "Richest Edition" section of the game. We played some sort of "Future version" of Monopoly where you don't roll at all. I didn't really figure out the rules but it was entertaining with it's graphics and sounds for the tokens. All in all I would unfortunately have to say that this game is a waste of money. I mean I am stuck with it so I will try to play it with my kid next week but I doubt it will hold her interest for very long.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor graphics, clumsy controls, and that guy in the suit, October 24, 2008
This review is from: Monopoly (Video Game)
The extra boards are nice, but you will never enjoy them, because in spite of those images you see in reviews, you will spend most of your time looking down at a 2-D board that is so poorly drawn you cannot read the names of the streets and have to go on color alone as a cue. It is even hard to tell which properties have houses on them from this view. It's painfully difficult to trade, build houses, etc. But worse of all, the man in the suit explains what you are doing as if you are in tutorial mode after and/or before every move you make. It is repetitive and annoying, and I would give it 3 stars if there were a mini-game that involved throwing tokens in his mouth until it was so full he finally shut up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Transition of a Board Game, March 10, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Monopoly (Video Game)

Setup is, as you would expect, instantaneous. There is a reasonably extensive "house rules" setup that allows you to adjust various game features -- the tax rates, the "go" salary, free parking, number of hotels, etc. During game play, money handling is generally automatic and done in a nice visual manner. The animation is well paced and gorgeous. Your pieces jump from space to space around the board, which gives a nice boardgame feel. You get to shake the wiimote when you roll dice, with audio feedback from the remote. It's a very clever touch that adds a lot of boardgame feel.

As mentioned by another reviewer, however, you are constantly being prompted with confirmation messages with a button. It gets a little tedious, especially since you have to point at them with your wiimote. There are also some noticeable pauses when you do certain things -- like manage your accounts. Managing your accounts (your properties) uses a miniature map which kinda sucks. It also uses too many confirmation buttons. It ends up being a little clumsy, a bit counter-intuitive, and a bit annoying, even though it is still very playable.

The classic game board is the default, but you also have the option of playing the "world edition" board when you first play Wii Monopoly. As you play games, you will unlock additional game boards, including a future board, a chocolate board, a cheese board, a jungle board, and others (that I've yet to unlock).

Several people have complained about the computer players; it's easy to turn them off and I recommend that you do so. My wife and I often enjoy playing without any. When you play against computer players, they seem to have incredible luck. So much so that I wonder whether they have a programmed advantage.

There are two main gameplay options. The first is standard play. I would have liked to see the "Speed Monopoly" option with the extra die from the "Here and Now" version, but it wasn't included in this product. The second gameplay type involved each player having multiple tokens (i.e. 4 dogs that are going around the board simultaneously), and I didn't really understand it. I blew it off pretty quickly.

Over all, we have enjoyed this Wii game pretty thoroughly and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a board game enthusiast.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good game to play with others, not the CPU, November 2, 2008
This review is from: Monopoly (Video Game)
If you and your friends and family like playing Monopoly together, then Monopoly Wii is for you. The visual presentation is surprisingly good for a budget title, and it takes all the "work" out of playing Monopoly so everyone can enjoy the game play.

If you're considering this game because everyone hates Monopoly and refuses to play with you, then the CPU will do its best to kill any enthusiasm you have for Monopoly. The CPU rolls double after double, often three times in a row and straight to jail. The CPU players also collude to create monopolies -- all three CPU players will make trades so one of them can gain a monopoly. The game essentially becomes a game of you vs. someone who gets three turns at a time.

This game makes a great substitute for the real thing if you enjoy Monopoly, and the mini-games and additional boards round out the package -- but only if there are other people willing to play with you. The CPU makes a poor and frustrating substitute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Family / Dorm Game, January 21, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Monopoly (Video Game)
I was given this game as a Christmas gift from my kid sister and I definitely love it! The game is very basic, yet it remains entertaining and full of fun for the family and for the mates in my university dorm.

The game features the classic Monopoly board and tokens as well as several other unlockable boards. Up to four players can play, with computer players available with different difficulties if wanted. Game play is captivating and includes a pause menu and save option. Game play can also be changed according to preference to change tax charges or free parking amounts.

There is also another edition included, "Richest Edition" which is a faster, interesting spin on the classic game. In Richest Edition, up to four players roll die and play different Monopoly-themed mini-games. They then pick their choice of die based on game outcome. Rent is paid in properties and if no properties are owned, bankruptcy is not an option. Games can last from as little as twenty minutes to as much as an hour and provide hours of fun!

Overall, I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys party games or board games! Thanks, Hasbro!

1.0 out of 5 stars Original Xbox is better! board game is better!, December 5, 2008
Handymel "Mel E." (Grove City, ohio United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Monopoly (Video Game)
Have played and enjoyed the old xbox version for quite some time and the Wii version looked interesting. What a waste of time!
First: Takes longer to play the before
Second: Doesn't have all the rule options as before. Old version could have USA or UK rules or a custom setup.
Third: Damn hard to read. Board is to small on screen and view options aren't options, just A option.
Fourth: Minigames have to get unlocked. At the slow rate play goes, might just take awhile that most of us don't have the time or patience for.
Fifth: Slow play! No way to speed up play, turn off commentary, quick setup of favorite rules options.
Sixth: Too much pointing with the wiimote, can't just hit a button to speed through the choices.
7th: Inflation?!!! Property prices have changed, penalty prices are up, and interest has been added to mortgages. I know in these troubled financial times things are tough all over, but do they have to be in Monopoly as well?
I know I said it a few times, but play is really cludgy and slow. Why have the wii version take more time than the board version or a previous xbox version? Seems like a perfectly good porting (xbox) was ignored and someone who had hardly any knowledge of the board game wrote this version.

2.0 out of 5 stars My Eyes Hurt, October 25, 2008
This review is from: Monopoly (Video Game)
I was so excited to try this game after loving it so much as a kid. My excitement quickly turned to frustration as we went along. I played with 2 other people and the last was the computers. Seems the computer spent most of it's time collecting money, rolling doubles turn after turn and landing in jail, avoiding landing on properties as much as possible. It felt like the computer player was cheating.
The worst thing about this game is the inability to see the board well. I had to constantly move up to the tv to try and read which things I had landed on. When you want to trade property, it is so tricky it makes you want to pull your hair out.
Was a nice try but I think they really missed the mark on this one. I am so glad I just rented it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Execution Flaws prevent game from being great, February 28, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Monopoly (Video Game)
I'm a big Monopoly fan and I was really excited to get this game for the Wii. It's hard to get people to play with me, and games take so much longer when passing paper money around that having an electronic version of the game with computer AI makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, there are some problems with the game that are serious enough that I can only give it three stars.

Don't get me wrong, the core of the game is pretty good. It is classic Monopoly with all right rules, and options that let you play by "house rules" if you want (such as free parking having money on it). The animations aren't bad, and the computer players are actually pretty good. I've played the game several times now and found them enjoyable.

However, there are some glaring issues that are really affecting my enjoyment of the game and my desire to replay it.

1. The save feature (which I call the "Not-Save" feature). This is the single worst problem in the game for me. Seriously EA, how hard would it be to allow a player to save the game when they want to quit? Despite the simplicity of saving progress in a game like Monopoly, there is no such feature. What the game actually has is a VERY poorly designed autosave feature, which means that if you quit, you lose all progress that has happened since the last autosave (and the game even tells you that). Now, that might not be so terrible if the autosave saved after every each round (a round being each time all the players have taken another single turn), but it doesn't. It seems completely unpredictable, and you can play for huge amounts of time without the game autosaving. The other night I quit a game in which all the properties were bought and I had almost won the game (and anyone familiar with Monopoly knows that takes quite a while), and when I turned the game on today to resume, I found that the last autosave had occurred about three turns into the game, and only four properties had been bought. In other words, I lost almost all the progress in the entire game. I've seen this several times and it is incredibly frustrating. Unless you have time to play the whole game (or can leave the game on forever without worrying that someone else in the house will want to play something else), then don't even both starting. You'll lose all your progress. And again, there is no way to save manually.

2. Unlocking new boards. The hoops you have to jump through to get a new board unlocked are ridiculous. Unlocking boards is based on a "passport system". The game claims you get a passport stamp for each property you own (not true), so for example if you own Park Place in a classic game, you get the park place stamp, and if you buy the monorail on the future board, you get the monorail stamp. Sort of like Monopoly at McDonald's where you try to get all the stamps, and when you get a certain number of passport stamps of new board will unlock. That wouldn't be so bad if the game actually did give you a passport for every property you owned. Then, if you won by bankrupting all the players, you would own all the properties, get passports for them all, and the board would be complete. Unfortunately, despite what EA says, you don't get passport stamps for owning properties. The game actually only gives you passport stamps for properties you LAND ON AND BUY. Buy a property in an auction? No stamp. Trade for a property and own it that way? No stamp. Bankrupt a player and become the owner of all his/her properties? No stamp. Want to play a four player AI game? Well, since you don't tend to land on and get many properties in a four player game, good luck every getting enough to unlock most of the later boards. Some boards, like the deco board, require you land on a buy every property in eight of the other boards. Since the whole landing on part is just random luck, unless I had months to keep trying, I suspect I'll never see any of the later boards in the game. Maybe if I do a "two player human vs human" game in which I am both players it will count towards my total, but how much fun is that? And I haven't tested that so I don't really know if that works anyway.

3. Incorrect space costs. Does anyone remember that traditionally in Monopoly, the Income Tax space has always said "$200 or 10%", and the Luxury tax space always said "$75"? Well, in the very most recent version of the Monopoly board game, Hasbro changed those spaces to "$200" and "$100", presumably to make them easier for people who can't do math. Of course, with a board game you can always draw on the correct values and play by the original tournament rules, but in this game you are out of luck. And that's a shame too, because since the game handles the math for you, it should be a no-brainer to stick to the official tournament rules.

4. Lack of settings to change. This is a minor gripe, but the music on some of the boards is very repetitive and there is no way to turn it off without turning off your speakers. And then you miss some of the verbal instructions or other voice effects, which you often do want to hear. Lastly, the top down view of the board isn't the greatest thing. It would be nice to be able to zoom in however you want, although the camera does a pretty good job of zooming in and following your peice as it moves. However, if these were the only flaws in the game, I'd probably give it five stars. These are just nice to haves and don't detract from the fun of the game like the first three items do.

So anyway, my rating of this product is three stars. All the basics for a great game are there, but minor things like the save system, the board unlocking system, and the lack of proper tax space prices have really hurt what was otherwise a well done game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Monolopy+Wii = Fun!, December 5, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Monopoly (Video Game)
My husband is a monopoly freak, obsessed doesn't even cut it. We have a million different versions of the game, which I don't even get because isn't it the same game anyways! Now before my sons were born, we played board games probably once a week, now I honestly can't even think of the last time we played a board game. It is just too hard with all the pieces and curious hands! Our new outlet for entertainment since having kids is the Wii and when I heard that Monopoly was available for the Wii, I knew my husband would love it.

I received the new Monopoly for the Wii from Electronic Arts (EA) and it rocks! First off it features both Classic and Here and Now World Edition Boards. Second off, there is a quick version to play in 30 minutes, called `Get Rich Quick' where the you go head to head against other players in either the developer, industrialist, or tycoon levels. You can play up to four players, although we have only tried it out with two players.

My husband and I love this game and it is awesome for people that want quick game play or want a change in traditional Monopoly-play. You shake the dice with the Wii controller, buy properties, make trading offers, and of course there are Chance and Community Chest cards. There are ten playable boards, with properties reflecting themes like arctic, future, jungle and more! To play different gameboards though you do have to unlock the boards through gameplay, but that is just more challenges and fun!

The game is very close to regular game play, but it is just more fun with the Wii-remote actions. Oh and there are even awesome mini-games to play in! These are fun little breaks. The only drawback with the game is that as two players it automatically adds in two computer players and that was annoying, otherwise you can really customize everything and change some rules.

Overall, this is a great game although I can only vouch for the Wii version. I am sure the other versions on the other systems are fun too, but I like the Wii remote actions. It is colorful, bright, and has lots to offer. I think this too would be a great game for families to play who love their Wii and are looking to incorporate some board games into family time!

BUY IT: Monopoly is available for the Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 2.

Monopoly
Monopoly by Electronic Arts (Nintendo Wii)
Used & New from: $14.94