Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Monoprice 109436 Copper Speaker Banana Plugs Closed Screw Type (5-Pair)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Style: Closed Screw Type|Change

on July 14, 2015
Perfect! Used with 12 gauge cable on my Yamaha RX-V675. Great product!
review image
11 comment|115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2013
I got these to update my speaker wires. It would have been helpful if some kind of instructions had been enclosed.
I could see that the top could be unscrewed, but what then. After a bit of head scratching it finally dawned on me.
Strip your speaker wire about 3/16 of an inch, push the wire through the unscrewed top, fold the bare wire over the bottom edge of the top, then carefully screw the bottom firmly onto the top. This captures the bare wire and creates an excellent connection.
44 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2016
These made installation so much easier and cleaner looking than just hooking up the wire bare. These are working very well and make the back end of the receiver look very nice. I used 18 gauge wire and its holding together just fine. Its really a no-brainer.

Left picture is before I had all the plugs installed. See how ugly it looks?
review image review image
on September 16, 2013
If you have a receiver, then you should be using plugs. Period.

This is my second batch because I wired up a second room and they just work. Monoprice has some of the finest quality products at excellent prices.

They do not feel as secure in the connection if you are using smaller gauge wiring but both sizes I have used worked fine (14awg/16awg).
review image review image
on May 12, 2014
These are nice quality plugs that make good connections... once you figure out how to assemble them. As noted by other reviewers, the lack of instructions was a little disappointing. I shouldn't have to read reviews on Amazon to learn how to use a product, but I did.

You can unscrew both the top and bottom of these, which I found a little odd. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else. You can unscrew the plug-part (the part that inserts into the wall), though I honestly don't know why. I didn't need to remove this piece in order to make the connection.

The part you DO need to unscrew is the bottom. You can then insert your cable (strip off about 3/8" or so) from the bottom, and fold the bare ware over the lip of the cylinder, down towards the threads. You'll find it easier to screw back together if it doesn't quite touch the threads.

Screwing the two pieces back together once the cable is inserted can be a challenge. I ended up using two pairs of pliers to grip the top and bottom so I could twist them; my bare fingers on the metal couldn't grip hard enough. I was doing a total of 16 (8 pairs), so I got quite good at this by the end.

The end result though feels very solid; I don't feel like the wires are going to slip out like I've seen with some other designs. The plugs also fit solidly into standard binding posts. My experience with other plugs has been haphazard: some don't fit snugly and will slide out too easily; some are so big they are hard to get inserted. These are the "baby bear" plugs: they are just right.
on November 4, 2012
I just bought a new receiver and decided to get some banana plugs. Not much to say, these are great quality plugs at an even better price, much cheaper than other "name brand" plugs that claim to give you a superior connection. They do exactly what they are supposed to do. Very easy to install and gives your overall setup a "clean" look (even though most people will never see the back of your speakers and receiver). Most importantly, they provide a solid connection and allow for convenience when you go to disassemble or re-assemble your home theater setup.
on June 14, 2013
For home use where banana plugs probably won't be removed and inserted 50 times, these plugs should do the job. I don't know if they would last for commercial, heavy use applications. Amazon could've provided a nice you tube installation video. Instead, you might need to look at equivalent banana plug videos.
Here is what I did to install the wires into the plugs.
I unscrewed the inside piece apart from the plug. Then I stripped about a half inch of wire and twisted the braids. Then inserted the wire into the back of the plug then curled the bare wire and fed it out the side hole. Next, I screwed in the back piece into the front piece but not too tight. Then I gently tugged on the wire to limit the excess sticking out of the side hole. Then I used (2) channel lock pliers to grip both pieces of the plug and tighten them very tight. If necessary trim the excess bare wire with quality sharp wire cutters and bend over the wire in order to avoid any chance of a short. I bought the shrink tubing some recommended in another post for covering the bare wire but I haven't used them yet. My Denon AVR-2313 receiver has a significant distance between speaker posts plus I trimmed the bare wire pretty close so I'm not too concerned about a short. P.S. I used 16 guage wire but you could probably go a little thicker (14 guage) for a really good fit.
on December 12, 2012
These are made very well and are easy to use. I am using them with 14 gauge wire so anything smaller should work as well. I advise you to take extra care when installing these. They have a tendency to unscrew pretty easily.
on January 1, 2016
When you buy this product - know what you are buying.

My opinion (isn't that what these reviews are all about) is that this style (design) of a banana plug connector is inferior to other types - namely the 2-screw type. Not that the quality of the product from this vendor is inferior. Its like having a well executed production of a sub optimal design in the first place. This vendors product is excellent quality.

From the perspective of good electrical contact, the two screw type is going to be better than this offering, which some people (read the reviews) can't even figure out how to use. The use of this product requires trimming the wire to a very specific length and than "fanning out" the strands.

Take a look at this video (and the image below). Next time, I will buy the two-screw type. - https://youtu.be/XxVagQmGoks?t=74

Gary
review image
on September 20, 2013
i would suggest using a 14 or 16 gauge wire for this type of banana plugs. once you push the [ 12 gauge wire like i have ] through the opening, there is not much room to bend the wire over. therefore risking a bad connection. these plugs do not allow much wire for a solid connection in my opinion. your only using the tip of the speaker wire and thats it !... you have to be patient and you'll win the battle. use needle nose pliers to make it easier with 12 gauge wire or thicker. i ended up buying plugs that have 2 screws that you can tighten down on the speaker wire for a much better connection, and you get to use a good 1/2 inch of wire instead of a mere 1/16 of an inch with closed banana plugs. if you can view a video online about installing banana plugs, you might have a better idea what works best for you. i did. and if you use insulated wire i would go with a more sturdy banana plug. these banana plugs are very well made and like i said are better used with thinner speaker wire.