5.0 out of 5 stars Drawing tablet with 8 hot keys

2.0 out of 5 stars great tablet, don't buy from amazon
Published 13 months ago by Leathe

5.0 out of 5 stars Drawing tablet with 8 hot keys, September 22, 2011
MALLIKA T MOHAN (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monoprice 10X6.25 Inch Graphic Drawing Tablet w/8 Programmable Hot Keys (Personal Computers)
Review from User:
This Monoprice tablet is the first graphic tablet I've ever owned. For a long time I was checking out the Wacom, and honestly, the only things about those tablets that had me interested was the fact that the pen is battery free and the whole `touch' feature. But frankly, regardless of those two things, for a tablet of around the same size, Wacom just hurts your wallet too much. I mean, it's like $170 for a Wacom Fun Tablet. The Monoprice may not have the touch or the battery-free pen, but for all the money you save on it (you save over $100), you can get by without the touch (because the pen easily replaces the mouse, eliminating the need for touch) and you can buy plenty of AAA batteries, or even buy useful software that you might want (like Photoshop or Adobe or whatever).

They even send you a software suite to go along with the tablet. There are five programs in all:
- Annotation for Word - which allows you to mark up documents like you would any document by hand. I find this very handy, especially since I do a lot of writing and editing straight on the computer.
- PenCommander - Helps you run any program or menu by simply drawing on the tablet, for example, when you draw an `e' it opens Internet Explorer. Just like a shortcut.
- PenSigner - Helps you put small drawings or signatures into documents.
- PenMail - Use it to send a handwritten email - however, the file is saved as a jpeg.
- PenNotice - Capture screenshots and make annotations.

The other features that the tablet comes with include the 8 Hotkeys on the left side of the tablet, things like Copy, Paste, Cut, Zoom In, Zoom Out, etc. On the active drawing area, are 16 hot cells, which you tap with the pen to make it work. You can program these to whatever you want.

The screen is a very large area, actually, much larger than I needed, I realized, once I got the thing in my hands. But the good thing about it is, while it looks like it is built for a wide-screen monitor, you can actually set it to work for a 3:4 ratio monitor, or even set it to work with two monitors at once. You can also test the pressure sensitivity.

There are a couple of things I need to mention about this tablet, though. First of all, the program suite doesn't work with Windows Vista (I have Windows XP). Secondly, it needs a USB port, but the cord is a little bit short, so I suggest using a port on the front of your computer tower or getting an extension cord. Another thing is that the pen seems quite fragile when you put the battery in. You have to carefully peel back the rubber grip and the battery sits in a thin piece of metal without anything to encase it. So I just had to be a bit careful when doing that. However, once you get the battery in there, it's a good pen. The pen also has three buttons--one in the tip (by the way you get three replacement tips inside the box, and it doesn't seem to be getting worn down too fast) and another two in a long, thin black button on the side of the pen. It looks like one button, but it's actually two, one on each end. You can set all these buttons to your preferences. You also get a pen stand, which you also use to replace the pen tip once you wear it down. The battery seems to have a nice long life. It doesn't run out in two days or anything like that.

I hope I went over all the important features and aspects of the tablet. The description for the product doesn't really give you much to go on. Without a doubt, excellent value for your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, March 21, 2012
I had the intuos 4 and while yes, it was great, it just wasn't $350.00 great to me. So I returned it. I tried out the wacom bamboo and really really disliked it. The pressures and flow seemed more like a toy.

Needless to say, this tablet is AWESOME! pressure sensitivity is great, the hotkeys are super handy. (if you do not like what they are programmed to you can change them easily also - I made my Msn = desktop)

I agree with other reviews that the battery holder in the pen is kindof janky but I mean really, don't bend it around and it seems like it will be fine. The pen is comfortable and very easy to adjust to.

The only con about this tablet is the driver. When I first installed it the icon did not show up in the system tray. I had to unstall the driver and download it from [...] (which appears to be the company that actually manufactures these tablets.) and it works fine now.

So, I am incredibly happy with my purchase and it is not just a "for the money, it is a good value" this tablet easily compares to the wacom intuos. The intuos pen is battery free. But this tablets hot keys more then make up the difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm amazed at how good this is at the price., January 23, 2012
Justin (United States) - See all my reviews
Let me begin by saying this is my first pen tablet. I desperately wanted one for a while now and didn't have a lot of money. As it stands, there was only one review, so I took the chance. Two gambles in two days and this is the one that worked out.

So far, the drawing surface is large, which I like. It was super easy to setup and install. The pen is wireless and it takes one AAA battery to run. The battery has not run out on me and I have been using it for hours a day for about a week now. I had a concern that it may be unresponsive or respond slowly to input. It does not, perfect 1:1 movements. It is a wide screen tablet so it fits perfectly onto my 23" monitor. I have two monitors and it was super easy and seamless to put only on to the right monitor. It has 1024 pressure levels, just like the less expensive, expensive models. The buttons on the side work great. They are out of the way for anyone who is right handed. Left handed folks might have an issue with them though. The hotzone buttons work really well also.

The only issue I am having is there no website for this tablet. No way to download drivers or contact anyone in regards to it. I haven't used a CD/DVD drive in over a year and my buddy had mine. I ended up buying a new external DVD driver because I couldn't get in contact with him. But, I know I'm probably the only person who has gone media-less. But, I had to drop a star because of the lack of support from the company.

Ultimately, totally great buy. I would suggest this tablet to anyone who can't afford one of the much more expensive Wacom tablets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got this for my niece; she loves it, March 31, 2013
Bought this product for my young teenage niece, whose parents are nurturing her growing interest in graphics and animation. She took some summer classes on digital animation & illustration, where they used the more expensive Wacom graphics tablets. She wanted to get a graphics tablet on her own, but her parents had been wary of spending a few hundred $$ for the type of Wacom tablets they used in her summer classes. After all, sometimes expensive gadgets and teenagers don't mix...better to get "entry-level" products, and work up to the more robust offerings.

I did some research and found out this Monoprice tablet appeared to be a good alternative (feature- and compatibility-wise) to the mid-range Wacom tablets. A few things I noted in its favor: it has a much larger drawing surface than some of the mid-range Wacom products, and (from what I understand) has good responsiveness and pressure-sensitivity. It's compatible with many popular graphics and animation software products.

To accompany this product, I got her "Manga Studio Debut 4 (Win/Mac)" from SmithMicro, Inc. (She likes Manga / Anime drawing). That was an inexpensive software package that is known to be compatible with this Monoprice 10x6. Before purchasing that, I saw that the software publisher had a lot of online tutorials & videos showing how to use it. When I sent her the gift package, I included a printout with the titles and links to several of the videos.

She really likes this tablet, and I'm glad I got it for her.

FYI, here's some addt'l info on where to find related product reviews and instructional videos. BTW, I am not endorsing these sites, reviewers or material...just passing along info from my product research.

[ 1 ]

Monoprice Graphics Tablet "Unboxing"

-- Vid 1: Go to YouTube, and search for "Monoprice Professional Graphics Drawing Tablet Unboxing". Very good, detailed into video from user macquaw.

-- Vid 2: Go to YouTube, and search for "Monoprice Graphics Tablet Review". Another good intro & setup video, by user blueescortproject.

[ 2 ]

Repeating my statement above: not all of the software included in-the-box with the Monoprice table will work with Windows 7. That's why I bought the separate "Manga Studio 4 Debut" software. (BTW: Vid #2 above mentions 3 of the programs that *will* work with Win 7. Here are links to a YouTube "channel" and the software developer, with several tutorial videos for MS4D.

-- Go to YouTube, and search for "Manga Studio 4 Debut Tutorial: Overview" by user contentparadise ... that guy Doug Hills is a professional comics artist.

-- SmithMicro (the software developer): manga(dot)smithmicro(dot)com(slash)tutorials.html

-- Recordings of tutorial MS4D webinars (also from SmithMicro):
my(dot)smithmicro(dot)com(fwd slash)webinars(fwd slash)manga-studio(fwd slash)index(dot)html#past

[ 3 ]

Here are some tips and things to watch out for, passed along by commenters on Monoprice's website...

--The drivers ARE available online from the manufacturer's website, UC-Logic.

The drivers on the site are a newer version than what you get on the disc, so if you're having issues, updating the drivers is an option.

-- Here's the graphic tablet vendor's product page, Monoprice(dot)com. Scroll to middle of the page to see the couple of Knowledgebase FAQs posted there:

-- Important Note for Windows 7. After you install the drivers and plug in the tablet for the first time, click on the Add Hardware Status Icon, then quickly click on the link to Skip searching windows update for driver (If you let Windows find it's own driver, then the tablet pressure sensitivity will not work in Illustrator/Photoshop. To fix, unplug the tablet, uninstall the driver, then reinstall, replug in the driver, and make sure to follow the above). Photoshop/Illustrator worked fine for me using the included drivers if you make sure to do the above.

-- **A word to the wise: If you install your program and your tablet's light turns on, but doesn't recognize your pen, check the battery. It may be slightly misplaced.

4.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade from the Bamboo for sure, reconsider if you are bad at computers., March 24, 2013
I had an Intuos 1 until I upgraded to Windows 7. I figured after 10 years it was time for an upgrade, so I got a Bamboo Create knowing that Wacom had all the best products and that no one else is good at making tablets. The Bamboo was okay, but after using a brush and inkwell to ink it felt like the settings were off or I was doing something wrong. I decided to give the Monoprice a shot. Worst case I could return it, best case I could sell the old tablet. Worst worst case I was out $50, which is a quarter of what I spent on the Bamboo or what I would have spent to get an Intuos with a much smaller usable area.

The drivers are hell to install. First thing is to run a search for how to install the drivers, then decide whether to use the ones on the UC Logic site or use the CD that came with the tablet. Then you follow the directions that the first site gave you. When you fail, you try again, then you try one more time. Then you try another site and then you try to remember which order everything came in and really where did you screw that one up and do I really have to hit F8 everytime I boot up the computer (no) and then you pray to God and then you pray to Satan and then you kick the computer a few times and then suddenly it works but only in Manga Studio but oh well close enough. Then it starts running with everything else why...it's working I don't even care anymore. Oh. Windows wants to update OH GOD NO OH GOD PLEASE NO I HAVE TO START OVER.

Please do not buy this tablet for your grandmother.

Once it's running, it's a huge upgrade over any of the Bamboo models. I don't have enough experience with the newer Intuos models to compare, but I've heard it holds its own pretty well. For the first time since I tried doing stuff digitally, it finally felt like I was drawing properly. I had some concern about the weight of the battery making the pen awkward to hold, but it feels like a pen. I don't really notice it. It does seem to be a bit flimsy on the inside though. I don't quite know what to say about the tablet itself other than that drawing feels natural aside from having to look up at my monitor. It's big too- I don't need any more drawing space and a lot of people work smaller fairly comfortably. I guess the best way to sum it up is that I forget that I'm using a tablet once I start working.

Wacom is the only name in the tablet market, but the technology hasn't changed much in the past 10 years while the price point has stayed the same. At the same time their Bamboo line is...I don't want to say terrible, but I'm irritated that I spent $200 on a tablet only to find that a $50 one works much better. There hasn't been a huge amount of innovation on their part and there wasn't much reason for them to since for a long time they were the only company that was good at making tablets.

For someone who isn't good with computers or gets frustrated easily, depending on their purpose I'd still have to recommend a Wacom. Technically they aren't plug and play, but they pretty much are and the animations that run while the drivers are being installed are really pretty and then you don't have think about drivers ever again. For someone who just wants to scrapbook a $50 Bamboo is great. For a graphic designer who doesn't want the adventure of running this tablet, an Intuos is excellent. If you don't mind dealing with installation though, the Monoprice works better than the Bamboo models and is cheaper than most of them. I have some concern about customer service, but in a worst case scenario it's cheap enough that replacing it isn't a big deal.

I'd give this five stars, but getting started isn't particularly user friendly. I'll still recommend it over the Intuos or Bamboo though. A lot of the 1 star reviews are people who never got the drivers working properly and their tablets were probably fine. Just keep bashing your head against the keyboard until it starts working right, I think it took me over an hour the first time to get it working right. I do love it though. If someone handed me a Cintiq I'd stop using the Monoprice, but really that's about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy this! Its just as good as a Wacom if not better., May 16, 2012
After reading all the great reviews I decided to purchase this and had low expectations. I have owned a Wacom Intous II for about 5 years now and I wish this thing was available back then. I would have saved myself over $200 bucks! Just make sure you follow the instructions on how to install this thing so it communicates correctly with Adobe software. I am and have been a professional graphic designer for over 10 years and I highly recommend this item! Dont waste your money on an over-priced Wacom when you can have this high quality item for a much lower price. The only reason why this isn't getting a 5 star rating is because the install is so touchy. Don't let that deter you though, its worth it!

2.0 out of 5 stars great tablet, don't buy from amazon, July 6, 2013
This tablet is working great but I realized after I bought it that the marked price is totally WRONG. It sells for 48$ on the monoprice website, so don't buy it from amazon! Otherwise this is a great tablet and the product itself totally satisfactory. I'd give it five stars for the product only, the two stars are for amazon. I do digital artwork and illustrations and it's a big step up from my old wacom 4x6 surface, and the hotkey buttons are so helpful.

XOXO Karen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some problems installing, but works great now, May 3, 2012
First let me say that Wacom tablets are also a pain to install... so I don't really see this as something that makes it worse than Wacom.

The only issue I've had with this device is how hard it was to get windows to recognize the drivers, but that's because I had a wacom tablet before, and the drivers were conflicting. In the end this is what I had to do...

1. Delete all drivers for wacom and monoprice tablet, make sure tablet is unplugged and don't plug it in.
2. reboot computer (Don't skip this!)
3. Download drivers and software from [...] then install both - do all the applications in the software package... for some reason it makes a difference and this is what stumped me for a while
4. reboot computer again (seriously, don't skip this)
5. ONLY AFTER ALL THIS plug in the tablet. It should work great now.

Now that everything is working this tablet is awesome, way better than my Wacom Bamboo is. I would highly suggest this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars works, March 24, 2012
what can i say... it works on win 7 and im sure it would work on other platforms too.
Just installed the driver from the cd and plugged it in.
Works with photoshop cs5 right out of the box.
I havent even tried to configure anything because it works great out of the box.
Ill update the review if something changes because i just got it

UPDATE:
How long has it been a few months...
The top button of the pen does not make the click noise anymore but still works...
ill probably get a new pen of their site when something else fails...
Still on the battery that came with it and i use that thing almost every day...
No wear on the tips of the pen.
Still loving it..
Price went up a bit since i got it but still a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as my Intous ... well no, May 25, 2012
PoofWizard "=w=" (Montevallo, AL United States) - See all my reviews
I have had a Wacom Intuos for close to 15 years ... The same Intuos. It was a great tablet. I loved my tablet. But it quit working. I just bought a new computer so i couldn't drop $700-$800 for a new Wacom, so I thought I would give this one a try. And I must say, not freaking bad!

It is lighter than my old Wacom, fits better in my lap. Pen was a bit awkward at first ... getting the batteries in was a pain, had to end up taping it in place to keep it from becoming dislodged when putting it back together. But besides that, no issues.

How does it compare to the Intuos? Well it stacks up fairly well to my 15 year old model. Do I still want an Intuos? Definitely. But since I do not know when I will be able to afford one I am quite happy to use this one. It's the rebound girlfriend after a long relationship, good for some fun.

Rate and Discover Movies