Most helpful critical review
79 of 79 people found the following review helpful
Right for some people, but not me
on October 5, 2011
I noticed that this product description now says, "Clamps to surfaces between 0.87 ~ 2.25 inches thick". This description wasn't present when I ordered, nor was it true. If someone does order one after 7/27/2013, can you add a comment to verify this claim? 1" desks are pretty common, and that was one of the bigger "Cons" in my review below.
- Looks decent
- Works well in the right situations
- Comes with monitor mounting plate
- Description doesn't list minimum desk thickness. Mine is 1", which isn't too thin, but I still had to use a spacer. This clamp stops just shy of clamping down on a 1" surface.
- If the base is offset, with the monitor hanging off the left or the right, the monitor will not be level. There is no adjustment to fix this. I put a washer under one half of the base, which causes the main support post to lean slightly to the left, but the monitor is now level
- Cheap plastic molded screws connect the monitor to the stand. I swapped them out for two other bolts and washers and a dab of LocTite
- Difficult to tighten enough to prevent movement
Reasons To Buy:
- You don't mind fiddling a bit to save some money
- Your desk is over 1" thick
- The main support post will be centered behind the monitor.