Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Monoprice 103027 4-Port Component Video Switch with IR Learning
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Package Quantity: 1|Change

on January 20, 2014
I really wanted to like this product as it seemed to be exactly what I needed. I have a projector with only 1 component input and this device promised to solve the problem of hooking up cable, xbox360, etc to the screen.

However, the product has a major design flaw that forced me to return it. When the video content changes from dark to bright scenes this switch loses the video signal, resulting in a blank screen with "no signal". It loses the signal for ~10-60 seconds before it re-syncs and recovers. This issue occurs randomly during movies, games, sporting events but happens 1-2 times during almost every commercial break (black screen just before each commercial). Sometimes more than a minute of game action will happen before the switch can recover. It seems the engineers of this product couldn't bother to simply watch TV for 10 minutes to make sure their design actually worked.....poor effort.

Check the reviews as others have run into this problem as well. Also keep in mind that this product seems to be branded under many different names (Monoprice, Dynex, Startech, etc.). If you check the reviews you'll see others having the same issue.

I ended up buying the GE 73344 4-Way Switch for Video Electronic Component and now my setup works flawlessly. Doesn't have a remote, but is a simple toggle switch that works! It's for sale here and can be found for $20 at Home Depot.
on July 26, 2010
I first bought this switcher for its intended purpose, selecting one of four component-video inputs with stereo audio, and have always been quite satisfied with it. I like it especially for the video quality and value. The video quality is good enough to notice the subtle difference among three different DVD players (see below), and to preserve the full and clear superiority of HD (1080i) sources such as BluRay, HD-DVD, and HDTV tuner, with zero perceptible noise or distortion, so I rated it as Excellent. My only quibble is that the selected channel is indicated by red LEDs that are somewhat dim and hard to see at an angle.

Last year, I purchased another Monoprice component-video switcher, but this time for use as a 5.1-channel audio switcher, since I had meanwhile acquired four components with multichannel audio but had only one set of 5.1 inputs on my AV receiver. This second unit also works quite well, although there is an audible high-frequency switching noise when changing inputs. Once switched, however, audio quality seems perfect. The only slight issue is that it seems the jacks may have become a bit loose due to the stress of connecting and disconnecting some very tight, heavy-gauge audio cables. (Darn those high-end Monster Cables! I now much prefer AR, Tendon, or Atlona brands.)

By the way, I am not sure, but I *think* there is no problem using the video switching circuitry for audio signals. If anyone knows if I am losing or risking something, please advise. As I understand it, the main difference between RCA video and audio cables is that video cables & circuits have a much more narrow tolerance for the impedance specification (75 ohms). RCA component video signals may also be more susceptible to interference, since they are usually thicker cores and shielding than standard-grade audio cables.
on October 21, 2010
I ordered this box to replace another "HDTV" Switch-box. The other one couldn't even support 720p. I Got this one and i got my Xbox-1080i Xbox360-1080i Wii-480P Ps2-480P/720P and it works great. It comes with a remote, and supports coax audio. I love, and it works great.
-Update 2/28/13
Box still works without any-problems. Also, The Xbox360 now is 1080p since i updated my TV last year. For the price paid, you cannot go wrong.
on July 8, 2011
I purchased this 4 port switch because my TV only has one Component input that supports 1080 resolution. The switch works well to allow my Satellite and Blu-ray player to both output the full 1080 signal and the picture has never looked better. Easy to use, and my Logitech remote works well with this switch.
on July 19, 2011
I was weary of a 4-port switching device with IR-remote being so cheap. However this device functions perfectly as an RCA switch, it just has extra connections available for the YGB, for which it was designed. I don't use the remote, as I understand it sucks up batteries although I can't confirm it, I guess for a party or something it would be fun to switch between systems, but the buttons on the front allow easy sequential channel changing, and the LED is a nice touch, as it clearly shows what channel you have selected. GREAT VALUE/QUALITY!
on October 24, 2012
This is a good AV switch box that can connect up to four inputs. You need power supplied to the unit to switch from input 1 to 4. If you have only red, white, and Yellow plugged in to one of the inputs and the output is hooked up to the TV with component video (R,G,B) and red and white audio, the picture will be black and white until you unplug the R & B from the TV. Inputs and outputs have to match up.
on December 18, 2012
I have Sennheiser headphones with volume control. They connect with the source using composite (red & white) cables. I wanted all of my home theater sources to drive the headphones. This switch does that.

I know that composite cables deliver one of the least pure audio signals. There does seem to be more white noise evident than I hoped for. Otherwise, I'd give it 5 stars.

The "learning" capability also allows me to not need the remote as the box has learned the remote signals om my other remotes.

Very good product.
on January 19, 2012
I have a pre-HDMI TV set, and ran out of Component inputs. This box works exactly as advertised, and appears to give an excellent quality signal. I use all 4 inputs, for Uverse box, DVD, XBOX360, and Wii. I'm using both the analog and coax audio connections, and all work great. This box makes it very easy for my family to switch between the devices.

Each of the 4 inputs and the outputs have: 3 component jacks, 2 analog audio jacks, and 1 Coaxal digital audio jack. It does not support Toslink (optical), but I knew that up front. The coaxal is better anyway! Description says "Digital Aduio (or Stereo audio)", but it actually does both at once. This is useful as some of my devices have digital and some do not. My receiver automatically switches to analog inputs when there is no signal on the digital, as most do.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 26, 2015
I wanted to find a way to effectively connect the audio signals from both my HDTV and my satellite radio to my home theater system, which has only one aux input. I began looking for some kind of switching unit, since that seemed like the most logical way to do this. I decided that the Monoprice Component Video Switch with IR Learning offered the best combination of low price, size, and capability.

It turned out to be a very good choice. The Monoprice Component Video Switch handles the relatively uncomplicated task of switching between audio-only sources with ease, even though it's designed to switch between sources having both component video and stereo audio inputs. I simply select whichever input source I want with the unit's IR remote. The unit responds immediately, and passes the audio to my home theater system. There is no degradation of audio quality from either source. The unit passes monaural, stereophonic, and 5.1 surround-encoded audio signals with complete fidelity.

I am very pleased with my Monoprice Component Video Switch. It is reasonably priced, well constructed, small enough to fit unobtrusively into my makeshift entertainment center, and it looks pretty good. Best of all, it works very well. Highly recommended.
on December 9, 2014
This switch box is well-built, works well, and was priced reasonably when we purchased it. It works with both component cables as well as regular RCA cables--just make sure you configure your TV to pick up the right signal, as we thought it was busted when trying to pass through our DVD player's signal without setting the TV to "AV."
The only complaints that come to mind are that it didn't come with a set of cables to connect the box to the TV. The other complaint I have is that instead of supplying that cable they included a remote to operate the switch box--but we always use the buttons on the box itself. I can't comment on the remote's construction or functioning, as I've yet to use it, and don't even know where I left it after opening the box.
Still, it works great without it--just make sure you have a set of component cables lying around when you buy this!