4.0 out of 5 stars Issues and possible work around
Like many of the other reviews, I had two main complaints with this product:

1) Problems waking from sleep, and
2) That the adapter consumes one of the precious USB connections in addition to the mini display port.

Published 10 months ago by Anthony G. Picciano

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but usable
Mine lasted almost 2 years before it crapped out. Yes it does overheat and yes it had times where it worked intermittently, but overall it did the job.
Just make sure you unplug it after every use to minimize the heating.
Published 19 months ago by Nerds Gone Wild

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Issues and possible work around, June 13, 2013
This review is from: Monoprice Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt Plus USB To Dual-Link DVI Adaptor (106904) (Personal Computers)
Like many of the other reviews, I had two main complaints with this product:

1) Problems waking from sleep, and

Note that the Apple-branded adapter has many reviews with the same complaints, so I think this is more of a design issue rather than a quality issue. Although some say the newest Apple version with firmware 1.0.3 is better.

I think I have come up with a work around that addresses both of these issues. The USB connector on the adapter appears to be for supplying power only. It also explains why the adapter freaks out when the computer wakes up: it is trying to both establish the video connection while at the same time, power is just becoming available through the USB connection.

I simply connected the USB cable from the adapter to a spare Apple iPhone USB power supply. Now the adapter has continuous power and seems to wake from sleep without issue. Doing this also freed up the USB port on my MacBook Pro previously used by the adapter.

I just did this today, but so far, so good. I'll update this review if things change.

2.0 out of 5 stars works "most" of the time, August 29, 2012
Frank Duxx "soliant" (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This thing has all the same problems the apple one has. You have to mess around by plugging/unplugging it when the picture goes fuzzy. This is occasional, but at this price point, it's a joke to have to do this. I recommend getting a used one from somewhere else, as the "new" ones aren't worth it.

update:

wanted to add , still having issues , basically upon power on and any wake from sleep, you get fuzzy. also, I am running firmware 2.0

tip:
1. overheating can occur, so as other reviewer said, unplug when you can
2. try putting your monitor in standby mode, if you step away

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but usable, August 29, 2012
Just make sure you unplug it after every use to minimize the heating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do you like snow and flashing 640x480 video?, November 7, 2013
I ignored all of the other reviews and bought this product to use in tandem with my 2012 Macbook Pro and 27" Monoprice high resolution monitor. When it works, it works well. However, it rarely works. It'll fail without any provocation either showing snow, flashing the display, or resetting the resolution to 640x480, which also resizes all of my windows. The only fix is to repeatedly unplug it from the laptop and plug it back in until it starts working as expected. It usually fails 4-5 times per 8 hour day. Thinking I had a defective unit, I returned it for a replacement. Unfortunately, the replacement does the same exact thing.

If anyone has an alternative product that might work, please let me know. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Possible issues with Mavericks, November 2, 2013
It has worked great for the past year on my Mac Mini with 10.7.x and 10.8.x, but with 10.9.x it completely locks up my system. I was only able to complete the Mavericks installation after disconnecting this item. My system will lock up in 10.9.x whether I try to boot up with it attached or if I try to attach it after it has already been booted and is running fine with the primary monitor. This was being used to drive a 2560x1440 secondary monitor and I really need my dual screens, so I may have to downgrade back to 10.8.x until a fix is available.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only worked for 60 days, then had the same problems as others, March 28, 2013
D. Marks (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I'm pretty disappointed with this item because it only worked for a couple of months, then failed. I have the same issue as others (display goes fuzzy or blanks out after 10 seconds). Since the item only has a 30 day warranty, it's now junk. Avoid.

EDIT: The item has a much longer manufacturer warranty if it's defective, and I was able to get the defective item replaced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Apple Version, August 23, 2012
I use this with a Retina Display Macbook Pro to connect one of two external displays; a 30" Cinema Display, and a 27" Samsung. I have an Apple Dual DVI adapter and this one. I regret paying full price for the Apple product, as it constantly shows static on the screen when booting up which requires me unplug the port several times and sometimes turn off the monitor and turn it back on before the static overlay disappears. This seems to be a common thing with the Apple product. I have not had any such issues with the Monoprice version. It works flawlessly on both of my monitors, as I have tested it. It has no problem with the 2560x1600 of the 30" or the 2560x1440 of the 27". Colors are as they should be. The Monoprice adapter piece is only slightly warmer than the Apple version. The previous reviewer likely had a defective unit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Returned, April 4, 2014
It didn't work for my situation. 2560x1600 monitor w/ dual link dvi.

Could be my monitor, but it works on my Linux box. Stupid Mac's.

1.0 out of 5 stars it not working, March 28, 2014
Dear sir,
this product is not working at all.while connecting to mac book its is showing that some thing is connected
but it is not giving output at all to monitor or any other device.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but has regular distortion, March 24, 2014
Doug310 (New York City, NY) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for my 2013 Macbook Air 11" to connect to a Dell 30" WFP3007 monitor. It does work, but there is regular distortion.

The distortion is irregular but happens when I run either OS X (10.8.5) or Windows 7 64-bit. It looks like pixels that are the wrong color. They usually come in dashed rows or columns. They most frequently occur in mid-gray-tones, but can occur anywhere. Usually it is fully-red or fully-green pixels. The distortion is usually fixed when the monitor's display is unchanging, but moving windows or even the mouse cursor can cause the distortion to go away or change.

I should note that this monitor works perfectly fine with my desktop computer, which has an AMD 5870 card driving two of these Dells.

There is some possibility that this distortion is caused by my Gefen DVI-DL switcher that allows me to use the monitor with the laptop or the desktop. However, the desktop mode does not have the distortion, so I feel that the switcher causing it is unlikely.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›