Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Monster 3.5-mm Headphone Adapter for iPhone 1G
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on July 30, 2012
During the short period of time this cable worked it seemed very reliable; movement in the audio jack did not result in audio dropping, the cable seemed sturdy enough, and the sound quality of my Sony studio-monitor headphones was not compromised.

I specifically purchased this because it was advertised as "ultra-flexible" to minimize the stress on the iPhone/iPad headphone jacks. Many people have had the experience of plugging-in a pair of headphones, and the plug experiences an amount of stress for one reason or another which sometimes results in a broken headphone plug; my purchase of this item was to subvert that. I paid almost $15 for this item, and it stopped working after 8 days of usage; the left channel cut-out due to the flexing of the cable. I was able to discern the nature of the damage by returning the cable to the straight position, which mostly restored the left channel. This cable extension was never "flexed" more than 35-40 degrees in a single direction, and that this cable would fail at such an angle hardly constitutes "ultra-flexible" in my opinion. The plug itself was intact; the problem was definitely an internal connection/wiring failure. Note that this cable was installed along a surface and was not constantly flexing; it was effectively flexed once along a curved casing, established as working, and then left unmoved and untouched for 8 days.

(However, at least it was the cable that was damaged, and not the headphone jack itself, so I guess in that way it did its job.)

Another reason I purchased this cable is because I am a working musician, and I am familiar with the Monster brand because they have such a fantastic warranty on instrument cables; Monster unconditionally guarantees any instrument cable, so you can literally walk into a music shop, shear the Monster instrument cable in-half with a pair of scissors while the store associate watches, and Monster's warranty dictates that the associate is to give you a replacement cable in exchange for the shorn cable; this is why Monster-brand instrument cables are relatively expensive when compared to other instrument cables.

This unconditional warranty is not applicable for the iCableLink.

When I spoke to Monster cable on the phone, they said that they would be happy to inspect the product for a warranty exchange (for free, after shipping costs; how generous!) but that it sounded like the cable was damaged due to misuse or neglect, which is not covered by their warranty; it sounded to them like the cable was flexed "too much." So much for "ultra-flexible," as advertised on the package. Finally, if you send a product to Monster for "warranty inspection" and they determine that it's a counterfeit: the cost of "return shipping" to you is $50. Amazon will issue a refund, and FREE return shipping, regardless of whether or not an item is defective or counterfeit, so why even bother dealing with Monster?

It is admittedly my fault that I made an assumption about a product based upon my familiarity with that brand-name from previous experience, as I assumed the Monster iCableLink was comparatively overpriced because of the same kind of unconditional warranty carried by their other audio cables. It is unfortunate that the iCableLink is not unconditionally guaranteed like many other Monster audio products, yet carries the same comparable mark-up. I can buy many headphone adapter cables for $2 which will only last a week, yet I paid extra for the Monster cable because of their alleged durability and my previous experience with their warranty. This product reflects neither the advertised "ultra-flexible" durability, nor the legendary Monster warranty, so I am returning it, ever grateful for Amazon's stellar returns department.

This is a perfectly functional headphone extension/adapter to be sure, but there's nothing special about it which warrants the price or hype on the package; it's just as good as its $2 analog available from any generic brand, and it will seemingly fail under the same circumstances.
on May 13, 2011
Well I have the Apple branded bumper on my white iPhone 4. My tape adaptor plus is way bigger than the hole in my bumper. So I would have to remove my bumper and use the casset plug. Now with this adaptor, I don't have too. It's in stereo too btw. Great product, made well and the Monster brand...you can't go wrong. Going to buy 3 more for other family members with iPhone 4's.
on November 5, 2011
Got this for the LifeProof case. I had to remove the silver ring close to the plug in order to get it to fit. Otherwise, it works fine.
VINE VOICEon October 17, 2011
I recently upgraded to the iPhone 4 from the first generation iPhone and am very happy with the upgrade. Anyway, since I was no longer using the phone as a phone, I gave it to my daughter to use as an iPod. Problem is that her headphones did not fit and needed an adapter. So, I got onto Amazon.com and ordered this one. And it does exactly what it needs to do.
on February 12, 2013
I can think of three reasons for buying this cable. One reason is that the plug on your your earphone may not fit into the jack on your iPod. The shape of the plug on this cable is narrow enough to fit the hole on an iPod.

A second reason is that you may want to avoid wearing out the earphone jack on your laptop computer. An earphone jack will only stand so many pluggings and unpluggings, and then it's a terrible nuisance to get it fixed. If you plug and unplug frequently, you can leave this cable plugged into the computer and plug your earphones or speakers into the other end of the cable.

A third reason is that although this cable is not as flexible as I would like, it has sufficient flexibility close to the plug to relieve the sideways strain at the apparently fragile jack on the stereo in my car. I use my iPad in the car to play podcasts, and I use a long cable to connect it to the jack on my car stereo. The plugs on that cable are about an inch long, so any sideways strain at the jack on the stereo or the iPad could be a problem. This cable seems to reduce that strain somewhat, but in this application I wish it were more flexible.

The quality of the cable and the plugs and the connections seems to be very good. I have several of these cables, and they work reasonably well.
on May 28, 2012
I have a cord installed in my car that allows me to plug my iPod/iPhone in and listen to my music through the car speakers. When I got my new iPhone, I put an Otterbox case on it for protection, but the cord I have installed in my car has too large of a head so I couldn't get the plug completely inserted into my iPhone. I bought this extender, hoping it would provide a smaller plug to make my connection work again. The quality seems solid and it does what I need it to do. The price is a bit high for what the product is, but it seems solidly made and works well -- what more can you ask of the money you spend on a product?
on October 1, 2011
I did not buy this for an iPhone, I do not even own an iPhone. However, I have a pair of Sony MDR-V600 headphones. I have had them for almost 10 years now. That being said, they have gone through a lot. The one thing that I have never really liked about the design is that the 3.5mm plug at the end is straight instead of at a right angle. With this small flaw, the plug gets bumped almost every time that I use them. This is especially the case when I use them with my iPod.

Over the years the 3.5mm tip has become a little bent and I'm afraid that it will either break off or damage the headphone jack of one of my devices. I was too afraid to cut the cable and try to attach a third party tip to it. I found the Monster 3.5mm headphone adapter. It is exactly what I needed. Now I just keep it at the end of my headphones. I do not have to fear my original tip breaking off, or damaging anything that I plug them into. This even fixes it getting bumped in the future. I have read the previous reviews about the quality over time, so I just ordered two more of these adapters (because I plan on having these headphones for at least another 10 years).
on January 16, 2013
Good quality with a variety of uses. I use it in several situations where a case or something else is preventing a large 3.5mm jack from fitting into my device. Also, I use it with my Sony laptop to let me use my iPhone headset with it. My Vaio's 3.5mm plug is set up so that normally my laptop would send sound to the iPhone headset and through it's own speakers. This short little extension fixed that. Other 3.5mm extension cables I have used don't hit all 3 of the iPhone headset's conductors and don't transmit the sound right, but this cable works perfectly. I have also used it for about a year and it still looks brand new.
on April 17, 2013
Monster products live up to their superiority. In this modification in my car the infiniti, I needed a slim extension so I could put the nano cable into charge the iPod nano fifth-generation. The connector and the headphone jack are so close that the regular size 1/8th inch jack will not fit. I had forgotten that monster made this high-end extension with the slim connector it works perfect.
on October 18, 2011
I have a pretty thick case for my iphone and ipod touch. Most headphone jacks or cables wont fit inside. This is narrow enough to fit and short enough to not be in the way or add too much wire to the headset/speakers. I have yet to have them feel lose on the connections, not had them snag or catch on anything. In fact after dropping my ipod, the headphones yanked out smoothly rather than jerking the headset down my face while I was running. The case saved the ipod, this cable saved my headphones wires from being pulled too hard. Specifically I have the Griffin Survivor cases which are notorious for having small openings for the jacks, if you have that case or something similar these are worth it.