Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Monster DNA In-Ear Headphones, White
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: White|Change

on April 24, 2013
Since there's a staggering lack of in-depth reviews of this item, I figured I should help anyone who was/is in my situation.

I previously used Skullcandy Titans religiously, but recently I've realized they sound muddier than I like. I use Sennheisser HD555s as my over the ear headphones and they sound stellar. Punchy bass when dialed in correctly, ultra clear highs, smooth mids. Very flat overall though. I use a Cowon iAudio 10 as my MP3 player and rip only at 320KBPS for my MP3s. It's a killer MP3 by the way, I highly recommend it if you're looking to make your MP3s sound better.

I listen mainly to progressive metal, but I'll listen to pretty much anything. What I look for in earbuds is a punchy low end, great mids and very defined drums and guitar sounds. Anything else is icing on the cake. I tried the regular DNA over the ear phones awhile back and really dug the punchiness and crunch that they had, all while remaining smooth and clear overall. Obviously my HD555s smoke them but they weren't bad headphones by any means. I'd say worth $120, not $200. I did like them enough to blind buy these earbuds though.

...And I'm (mostly) glad I did. These earbuds sound very similar to the Skullcandy Titans I'm used to, but much tighter in the low end. There's also significantly more definition overall. The cymbals are very clear, specifically the ride which was muffled and choked out with the Titans. The crash cymbals also sound like actual cymbals instead of just filler sound now. The bass drum is extraordinarily punchy and clear. The guitars sort of lack a tightness and definition, but i'll sacrifice a little bit of that clarity for a punchier sound. It might also be because I have the bass up a bit on my equalizer. The snare drum is also much more defined than what I'm used to with earbuds, it sounds like an actual drum instead of just a pop. The treble range is slightly piercing, but I was able to dial that back and now it's very clear instead. Synth and piano parts layered under alot of distortion and drums stick out SO MUCH better than with my Titans.

I can't emphasize how well defined the drums are, it's incredible for earbuds.

The way I'd describe the sound overall is that they are bass and low-mid mid range loaded. Sort of curving up from 100Hz to about 500Hz, slowly dropping down to around 1500Hz, then going back up and leveling out at 5000Hz. I actually set my equalizer flat to tweak it and found the flat sound very similar to the many tweaks I had for my Skullcandies. Pre-equalized for me - nice!

As for the price, the actual headphones are worth $50 I'd say. I'm listening to $50 earbuds. The packaging and presentation is very nice, but adds an unfortunate cost presumably. You do get 6 different tip pairs which is very nice. The cord DOES NOT tangle, which is also awesome. I'm not sure what people are complaining about with them falling out. I have had that issues previously with every earbuds I've owned - these actually stay in! The size of the outer part does not add much weight and makes for very comfortable wear as the plastic is formed and shaped to not touch the ear. Also the ear pieces are very comfortable in general. I've had them in about 30 minutes and they aren't any more uncomfortable than any other earbuds I've used (I have very sensitive ears). I'd say they're slightly more comfortable than my Skullcandies as far as the inner part goes.

In conclusion:
- Not worth the price. I paid $75 instead of $100, and I do feel like I paid slightly too much. The earbuds alone are $45 - $50 in value.
- The sound is great overall, as long as you like punchy and clear bass and clear highs. Maybe not great for acoustic, vocal, opera, or classical music. Certainly not equalized flat by any means. Do not buy these unless you like punchiness in your music.
- More comfortable than most earbuds and stay in a heck of a lot better than most.
- Has phone controls which I haven't/won't use - I use these strictly with my MP3 player.
- Sound great for metal/djent music, which is hard to find in most earbuds. I also just tried them with some Skrillex and it sounds stellar, definitely designed with modern EDM/dubstep in mind.
- They look pretty darn cool!
I have owned a number of Monster products and I have always been pleased. These are no different, though the price may be a little high in my opinion (tends to fluctuate on Amazon).

The product arrived packaged very well. It arrived in a classy box, with a pouch, and a good variety of ear tips. The build quality is very good with thick flat wiring (tangle free) with good reinforcement. You can truly stuff these in your pocket and pull them out with entanglement. These headphones also look very good (if that matters). Classy is the best way to put it (they even look better in person than in the product image). The design of the ear piece is very good, especially when coupled with the somewhat innovative ear tips. Simply put, once placed in-ear, they do not move and are very comfortable. The part that connects to your device is designed with a 90 degree bend, which makes a lot of sense for a variety of reasons including durability and low profile. I found the weight of the headphones to be very light, which may give the false impression of being "cheap." They are are not built cheaply by any measure.

I found sound quality impressive. Though not an "audiophile," I know great quality sound when I hear it. These headphones provide exactly that- great quality sound. Note, I found that the best sound was developed after about one week of regular use. The clarity of sound was perfect and best described as crisp and clear. I found bass to be punchy and distinct. However, those who enjoy hip-hop and music along those lines, the bass on these headphones may not be enough as the general sound output is more neutral. Detail extended into the high frequencies, which I found very pleasant. I also determined these headphones provide some level of noise isolation, though not as a distinct feature. Finally, the Apple Control Talk feature adds a level of utility to these headphones that I found both practical and even necessary.

Overall- very happy with these headphones and I plan on purchasing another set.
on June 11, 2014
These DNA is as normal as my other cheaper ones. It gives it a very clear sound but was hoping a better bass to it. I do however like the 90 degree plug pin. The entire earphone is very light weight.
on April 10, 2015
This headset is characteristic, this price monster indeed shouldn't expect too much, but compared with China, the price is great
review image review image review image
on February 9, 2014
Excellent sound quality. Best ear buds on th he market in my opinion. I've gone through Sony, Bose, beats by dre, and skull candies and the DNA's sound the best and with the heavy duty flat band cable they last a long time.
on November 20, 2014
Monster continues once again to win my favor in every regard. This is a company with a high benchmark that I've never seen it miss.
The fit in these is perfect, even under light physical activity. The real selling point, however, is the sound quality and build durability, which have proven in excess of any other headphones, short of studio grade, I've ever used.
on February 2, 2015
these earbuds are just great they have a better sound quality than the beats tour 2.0... The only thing that is a problem is the way you the earbuds in, it has to be a different way to put it for the noise cancellation to work... They are comfortable in the ear... The bass is even strong and nice stables with the audio.
on September 14, 2015
ARE THESE RIGHT FOR YOU?

If you like crisp, clear, bassy music then Monster is always a great headphone. These follow the Moster sound profile to a "T". They have lots of punchy bass (but not overly to ruin other tones) and the clarity of sound at max volume is impressive to say the least.

My only two 'sort-of" negatives are more personal to my listening habits. The buds are a bit bigger (but insanly light) then others but that said most bass earbuds are... and... At max volume these are loud but not as loud as I like. I am a blow your ears off listener and walk the city streets daily using earphones. At max volume most people would say they are loud enough but if you like it near ear shattering these are not. That said, I have not found many earbuds that are.
on January 21, 2015
Monster logo feel off please be careful any way the will fall off in the long run but it's ok quality but it's not good build stucture.
review image
on March 10, 2014
I got them for $45 which is a good price for the sound quality. I'm no audiophile but I do enjoy decent headphones. I had Sennheiser in-ear headphones which I loved but I lost 2-3 pairs so I decided to give these a shot based on the reviews it received and the style.

Cons:
These are good looking but feel cheap and plasticky. The triangle design can be somewhat uncomfortable in the ear. They sometimes fall out or get loose in my ear (but I have that problem with any in-ear headphones I've tried out. I do like the tangle-free flat cords.

Pros:
The sound quality is above average and have a healthy dose of bass (I listen to rap mainly with some pop). They seem to have some noise-isolation too, as I listen to them mostly on the subway in NYC.

Side bar: I use this on my Galaxy S4.. the pause/play button works with the music (not sure about phone calls since I don't talk on the phone). The volume control does NOT work.

UPDATE: 3 weeks in and here I am.. the control literally split apart for no reason after 3 weeks of use. What a piece of junk!