4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the naysayers - there's an obvious anti-Monster campaign
I looked at all the reviews for these headphones and there's an obvious trend. People who give them positive reviews get insulting emails and negative replies to the reviews, plus the reviews get a ton of "not helpful" votes. Why is this? What is everyone so afraid of? People with negative reviews get a pat on the back from fellow Monster haters, and positive reviewers...
Published 21 months ago by Richard C. Drew

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading reviews.
The reviews on this item are misleading, this is by far not the best sound I've heard out of $200 headphones, there are much better alternatives out there, such as Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones which cost about 60% less.
Some of these reviewers have only reviewed this item which makes me think they work for Monster, or whoever made these poor sound quality...
Published 23 months ago by Marat Voznyuk

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, March 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'll start by saying I am not some music fanatic who can tell you how much bass and treble and whatever I am hearing through the headset. BUT I do love my music and have been using various renditions of ear buds and over-the-head sets, and haven't been knocked out by any of them. They fall out of my ears, slip off my head, and hurt my little ear sockets after a while. The Monster DNA On-Ear Headphones knocked my socks off.

The sound is amazing! And outside sound is really well muffled. I wasn't expecting that, so it's a totally added benefit. I can slip them on at work, plug them into my computer, and I DON'T hear all the chatter...I listen to my music and can write without the usual distractions. I was surprised that they also fit right into my Ipod Nano and Ipad too, so they're usable.

I'm really pleased with these and highly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Hubby Has Robbed Me of My Headphones, March 1, 2013
AndreaDenise (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Monster DNA on-ear headphones possess a custom-made look that you can't beat. They're well worth it if you want well-balanced earphones with a simple yet gorgeous design. They also provide an incredible listening experience. From my first wear, I fell in love with the comfort of the headphones (soft and cushiony). There's even a cool case to carry and store the headphones.

My husband enjoys the headphones as much as I do. I thought about purchasing the white and teal set for myself. At the moment, they're a bit costly for my taste. I guess I don't mind sharing the headphones for the time being.

My only objection is utilizing the headphones on public transportation. Unfortunately, this sort of item is as sought after as the iPhone. Nonetheless, they'll be greatly put to use in the gym and the comfort of my home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound for every genre, March 14, 2013
D "killam16" (Baltimore, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
I would like to start by saying that people who write negative reviews for these headphones because "there is not enough bass" have no idea what they are talking about.

If you want insane bass that will rattle your skull to complete mental retardation, you do not have to jump to the $200 range.

I got to try several headphones at the store (using my own music on my iphone.) Because of the trendiness of DNA by monster and MTV ads, I was reluctant even to try them. I was looking for amazing music clarity and noise cancelling so I can do work while listening to music.

After trying out several headphones including sony, ultimate ears 4000 and 6000, and beats by dre, I still couldn't decide, while some offered good clarity, they cancelled no noise at all, or vice versa. I considered going up in price and getting a bulky noise cancelling set which required seperate charging (I didn't want the 6000 because they used batteries).

Finally, I asked the clerk if she recomended anything else in the price range. That's when she let me try the DNA. They blew me away.

My initial impressions were:

Outside noise was almost gone completely but I didn't have to turn on and extra noise cancelling. I still have no idea how they cancel outside noise so well.

My iphone volume was amplified, all of the sudden 70% was way too loud.

The bass was amazing, crystal clear but didn't overpower other instruments so you can hear all of the music.

The mid range is by far the best I have ever heard.

Clarity was amazing. I can now make out more words/instruments I could never hear before.

My decision was made.

After owning them for a week, I do not regret my choice at all.
I listen to many genres including rap, hip/hop, rock, folk inspired, middle eastern, rock, pop, classical.

If all you listen to is hip/hop rap and need so much bass that your scalp tingles, don't buy DNA headphones. If you want to hear ALL of the music, DNA might be a great choice for you.

While all music sounds amazing on DNA headphones, if you like classical this set is a must.

2.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound, painful experience, February 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not an "audiophile". I'm 70 years old with hearing deficits from listening to loud popular music in the '60s and '70s with headphones. Lately I listen to my music on an iPod Classic and a 2d gen iPod Shuffle using high quality buds. My taste in music is eclectic: '50-'70s Pop, Motown, Big Band, pre-WWII Jazz, Blues, Western Swing, Bluegrass, Native American Flute, some musicals, African American Gospel, and Classic. It all sounds brilliant, clear and detailed with these headphones. The best test for me is listening to Bach Organ music and I cannot recall hearing it so well before.

The headphones isolate sound extremely well. My wife cannot hear the music to which I'm listening and I can barely hear that she is talking on the phone in the same room.

It came in fancy packaging with an elegant pocket for literature but there was not an Owner's Manual, not that it is too complicated to operate. One of the cords has a switch that allows the wearer to increase the volume by pushing the + sign, lowering it by pushing the - and turning the player on and off by pushing the o. It does not work with all players, does with my Classic, doesn't with the Shuffle.

I'm absolutely thrilled with these and can find little wrong with them. However, I have NOT listened to other headphones in this price range so cannot compare them. Perhaps those of you with much time listening to high end stereo systems and high end headphones won't enjoy them as much as I do but I recommend them wholeheartedly. I recently found a good deal on less expensive Sony MDR 7506 Monitor Headphones about which I've read nothing but superb reviews. I expected to hear how The DNAs were put in their place but was very surprised to find out that I prefer the DNAs. I don't know how to explain it but listening to classical music the sounds were flat through the Sonys and rounder through the DNAs. The DNAs may be less accurate than the Sonys to a true audiophile but the DNAs are more enjoyable to me.

Revised 2/21/14:

One very significant Con: The cushioned ear pads are small and do not surround my ears but, rather, sit on them and,cause my ears to hurt, badly. The Sony's fit better. DO NOT BUY THESE IF YOU HAVEN"T TRIED THEM OUT FOR AN HOUR. I find them excruciatingly painful if worn for more than 15 minutes. Your ears and head may be different. For your sake I hope that they fit well because the sound is excellent. I cannot wear them.

1.0 out of 5 stars yuck, January 5, 2013
This review is from: Monster DNA On-Ear Headphones (Cobalt Grey) (Electronics)
A friend got these for Christmas and I tried them out. They had been fully broken in, but not overused. The sound was literally horrendous,higher frequencies sounded shrill and unbearable. The bass was also pathetic, and was airy and almost non existent. Also, after being treated lightly, the hinge became extremely loose and noticeably flimsy. Even before this, the fit was atrocious even for over ear headphones, and the cups felt like awful pleather. The pictures really over exagurate the features on these phones, and within 20 feet of these they look like cheap plastic.I would instead recommend the Ultimate Ears line or Grados, you will most definately get a better deal.

I would imagine that these cost around 30 dollars to produce. When you receive them you would definitely agree with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars An apple to Apple rather NOT orange to apple comparison, June 29, 2013
I am EXTREMELY happy with this product. Brought it 2 wks ago from Apple store, from where I bought by Beats SOLO HD, in last Dec. So the Beats were is-under warrenty and the company is generous enough to replace the Solo HD red twice. I am v happy with Beats customer service, so folks want to get good customer service, Beats is certainly a recommended one. Also I request others to see too much into this statement, means, I do NOT intend to mean customer service with other brands are any worse. I am just merely expressing my expressing my experience.

I read the 1-STAR reviews, I have issues with those reviews. How somebody brands their products or positions their positions are Merketeering theory, NOT on the Production COST. The PCs (laptops), those are <500 dollars to buy.... takes somewhere between 40-70 dollars to produce. Let's NOT get into that. Pricing 101: Production cost is a v small part of the pie in order to price a product. Having said that, some products creat the HYPE, others NOT. V rarely v CHEAPLY priced things creats the HYPE...!!! So go figure.... and good luck.

Now let's get back to the review. I tried this product (Monster DNA) with other 200.00 dollar worth products, namely Beats, B&W, Bose, Senheiser. And keeping every other things Non-variables. Means same song, same 'gain' in my iPhone, same part of the song for 10 mins. I was amazed that DNA OUTPERFORMS all of them. In Clarity, Resolution, Sound Imaging and NOISE- Canceling.

Then I went to the other table in Apple Store, where all $300.00 and up headphones, so-called professional headphones are. This 200 dollar-DNA OUTPERFORMS them, PERIOD. In all the above categories!

My only surprise were that it was BETTER that B&W. B&W is a mighty audiophile company & v well-respected world-wide for making speakers, a lot higher quality speakers than Klipsh. Senheiser, I expected better, because their mics and headphones are their best products.

Some people brought Sony headphones in the equation for comparison. Sony was NEVER a audiophile speaker company. They sell everything, if they can. i am sure they would NOT mind put a stamp of SONY in Watches and Cars too, if they can...

At the end, I tried this one, after listening a 12 yr old's recommendation, who had Beats, before they split up with Monster. And this 12 yrs old has value! Kudos to him. This DNA is a genuine product and hook you up to audio, be is music or movie in laptop or wherever. Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing clarity, nice tight bass, March 12, 2014
These headphones are by far the best headphones I have ever used, especially with electronic songs and songs like Five Finger Death Punch creates. These headphones can also get very loud they actually sound like speakers it's insane.

Some Pros:
Clear
Great sounding in all genres
Comfortable
Very durable
The cord has never actually tangled for me
Noise leakage is a minimum (I've noticed it varies from person to person, maybe the size of their head comes into play?)
Mids lows and highs don't overpower one another

Cons:
If your ears are shaped sort of outwards these won't be comfy for over an hourish of usage

Every person I have showed these to has loved them, even a beats lover has said these are better. And one has ordered a pair. Great all around!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, March 4, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like the Monster headphones. These are full headphones and not just cheap earbuds so the sound is so superior to what we've been listening to. It's been quite a while since I've used full headphones like this. These are so comfortable to wear. The discomfort of having a big bulky headset on is why I've been using earbuds instead but the sound quality is so much better with these. They comfortably fit on my head and seal out outside noises that can interfere without the headphones being too tight or uncomfortable.

They plug right up to my iPhone with a volume control button right on the cord. I can listen to music or watch videos for an extended time and not get ear fatigue as with some headphones

I think I'll keep my earbuds for when I'm in public just because they're less conspicuous but when I'm at home, I'll be using these. Hubby was really impressed with them too and commented on how good the sound was.
Comes with a nice velvet carry bad with a carabineer clip attached.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding headphones for a non-audiophile listener, April 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I will preface my review by saying that I love listening to music (and TV and movies) through head phones. I will also say that I am not an over the top audiophile. I never owned a reel to reel tape player. I consider good quality digital recordings with a nice equalized sound to be good enough.

I like the clear sound and the removal of other background noise that is achieved by wearing these headphones. The sound quality is quite good (again disclaimer - that's coming from me not a sound geek) and I find these to be very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. I also really appreciate how these can fold down to a fairly small size as compared to how large they are when worn. The volume control on the cord is a nice extra touch that I find myself using all the time.

Overall I consider these to be a perfect pair of headphones to wear while watching something on a tablet or listening to something on an MP3 player in a room where others don't want to hear what you hear.

Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Sound, Not Compfortable, February 10, 2014
The sound quality is stunning on all ranges, however after 1-2 hours of wearing it my ears heart me badly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

Monster DNA On-Ear Headphones (Cobalt Grey)
$229.95 $132.38