5.0 out of 5 stars Monster Diesel Vektr Headphones Review
Published 6 months ago by Adriel Martinez

3.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, edgy, not necessarily the best at this price point
Published on July 24, 2012 by Mary Jo Sminkey

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster Diesel Vektr Headphones Review, April 17, 2014
This review is from: Monster Diesel VEKTR On-Ear Headphones with ControlTalk (Electronics)
I was hesitant at first to purchase these headphones because I know that Monster also designs the Beats by Dre line of cheap overly priced pieces of garbage. I decided to purchase these any way to see if they truly were deserving of the Diesel brand name. Shipping only took four days, which was very convenient. Finally when I opened the packaging a beautiful box greeted me. I said hello there and proceeded to gut it out to find my prize. Once I got situated I turned on my phone and went to my audiophile folder of music where I hold only my good songs. I put these headphones on and pressed play. I was immediatly surrounded by my favorite band hearing each instrument clearly and distinctly. I was stunned how good the Monster Vektr sounded right out of the box.

To describe how the Vektr sounds is to un-think all you know about Monster headphones – the Beats version, anyway. Bass heads will not like the Vektr. Yes, bass is present, but only in the amount the recording has already. Nothing sounds boosted or enhanced. Nothing. That’s one of the reasons you can comfortably listen to the Vektr all day long. Enhanced bass can be audibly exhausting. I just didn’t expect a headphone designed this boldly to sound this refined.

Whether I’m listening to anything from Pink Floyd to Steely Dan to Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD) to Beethoven, the Vektr headphones rendered everything smoothly and accurately. Only at painfully punishing volumes, did I notice a crack in the audio. That’s saying something.

The Pink Floyd song, “Fearless” from the “Meddle” album mutates from a folksy sound to an acoustic rocker complete with a soccer-crowd chant at the end. David Gilmour’s acoustic playing is in fine form and each note rings true on the Vektr.

“Tomorrow Started” from the achingly beautiful 80s Talk Talk album “It’s My Life,” features a slightly reverbed Mark Hollis vocal backed by a howling, distorted guitar and purposely toned-down trumpet along with the required 80s synth. There is so much going on in this song, it almost requires listening with headphones. The Vektr phones are perfectly suited for this song. While the soundstage is not all that wide, it’s also not claustrophobic, which leaves a nice, airy balance. Keep in mind that the Vektr is a closed-back headphone design, so any sense of space is going to be somewhat diminished. Then again, only you – and not your neighbors – will hear your music, no matter how loud the volume.

The Vektr handles songs with a lot of bass very well… as long as those songs aren’t overly-compressed modern mixes. As much as I like Bryan Ferry, his collaboration with Groove Armada on the remixed song, “Shameless,” is a disaster with its lower-than-low bottom end. No clarity and knee-deep mud in the mix drowns out any dramatic potential. It becomes even more apparent when compared with the original version of “Shameless” on Ferry’s “Olympia” album. The Vektr headphones couldn’t save the remixed version, but the original was fun to listen to. I discovered that most remixed songs with enhanced bass didn’t fare so well with the Vektr phones. If hip-hop or dance music is your fave, you should look elsewhere.

However, if your tastes lean to a more sophisticated and balanced sound, you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding headphone than Vektr.

Then there’s the design…

Apart from the ear cups, there is nothing soft about the Vektr headphones. The design resembles a Lamborghini Aventador supercar. There are hard, directional angles all over. It all looks a bit silly to me, but then again, these are designed to be seen and to look cool on someone much younger than I am.

The shiny black plastic exterior is a fingerprint magnet. I had to wipe them down carefully before shooting the photos. The plastic is mounted on an aluminum skeleton, so they should hopefully hold up for quite a while. At least they feel like they will.

The on-ear cups have an unusual shape. I guess they’re supposed to conform better to the ear than round or oval cups. The seal is one of the best I have encountered with on-ears at any price. In fact, the Vektr fits my ears so well, that if it had active noise canceling, it would be a waste of money. I can almost feel a slight vacuum form around my ear when I first put them on. It’s a strange sensation. They are also extremely comfortable with hours of use. I never experienced undue pressure at my temples, even wearing glasses; and since they’re lightweight, there was no downward pressure either.

The one comfort gripe I have is that the hard, non-slip rubber headband could have been padded. It wasn’t particularly uncomfortable for me, but others may want a softer headband.

The Vektr folds up neatly and easily. The cord is removable which makes replacement easy and affordable. The cord has an unusual, triangular shape which reduces – but does not eliminate – tangling and visually matches the angular look to the headphones. The right-angle mini plug housing is awkward because its triangular shape makes it difficult to grab. That’s what you call design over function. An included soft case has plenty of room for the phones and cords and will protect against the elements, but not breakage.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, edgy, not necessarily the best at this price point, July 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Monster is clearly going for an audiophile audience with these headphones. The packaging, styling and price point all are at the higher end of the consumer market. These are a folding set of headphones that are larger than most designed for use with portable devices, they come with a nice case, and a detachable, triangular cord designed to minimize tangling. The cord includes a control device, which works primarily to pause, and provide forward and back. Personally I'd prefer a volume control, but nice to have something. I have not yet tried it with a phone to test the microphone and talk features, personally I don't tend to use headphones like this with an iPhone so not sure I will have use for this.

The styling is definitely very edgy and angular and somewhat futuristic in a way that some people will love and others will hate. Personally I liked it but it does take some getting used to. The phones don't fold up nearly as small as some other portable ones I've used, but what you give up in portability you get in comfort. And these are definitely very comfortable headphones, with excellent ear pads. I personally have a lot of issues with ear buds getting very uncomfortable so I can see enjoying using these instead when I don't need something really small. However they do fit fairly tightly and eventually do get a bit hot during long wear. They also have an extremely glossy surface so of course you have fingerprint issues. They come with a cleaning cloth which I have to say is a first for me with headphones. At least Monster realizes these are going to need regular buffing to look their best.

The hinges to fold them up seem pretty durable and I would expect to last well. The detachable cord as well is likely to improve lifetime versus cheaper headphones with an attached cord, typically a common point of failure.

So the big question is how do they sound. They are superb all along the midtones, and bass was pretty decent. Could be a tad better, but satisfactory for me, I could go pretty much as loud as I wanted without distortion and the balance is nice as you go from genre to genre. The highs were the weakest part for me, for phones of this price point I would expect a bit better. They just aren't as clear as they should be, particularly as you get the volume up over 75%. Again, it's okay for me, since I don't tend to bump the volume up high enough to hit the range where you start to have issues but if you are someone that is looking for the very best sound quality for the price, these probably aren't the best to get.

You'll also have some leaking issues with these with louder volumes, which could be an issues as well depending on your intended use. That's going to be a common issue with this type of design, but be aware of it. There's no active noise cancellation although the tight ear cups do provide some natural noise reduction.

Overall, I was pretty satisfied with these headphones, but I'm not sure they come quite up to the sound quality this price point would be indicating.

UPDATE - so I've been using these for a little while now and I find they are not as comfortable for me when I start using them more regularly. Now, I have to admit, I have comfort issues with a lot of headphones due to having fairly small ears, and from wearing glasses, which has kind of made my ear lobes pretty sensitive to pressure. And these do tend to press in a bit such that I can't wear them for a long time before they start to hurt. I don't have this problem with larger headphones that go completely around my ears, these actually press right onto your ear instead of around it, hence the problem. I don't know that a lot of people would have issues, but if you do find you have issues with some headphones for this kind of reason, these may be ones to avoid. For me it was a reason to drop these another star down, between the less than stellar sound and the comfort issues, these far too far down the scale for me to recommend them much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aesthetically Pleasing and Remarkably Comfortable!, June 23, 2014
These headphones are worth every penny!

I'm a sound engineer, who's constantly looking for the next best headphones. So, when I came across these headphines, I was instantly sold.

I love the sleek, black, "diamond looking" design. It makes a lasting physical impression. However, it is a fingerprint magnet, but no worries, because Monster ensured we had a microfiber cloth which certainly does its job!

Now, the sound. When I first placed these on my ear, almost 85% of all ambience were instantly shunned from my ears. I didn't know this was a noise cancelling/isolating headohine, so that was a plus in my book. Next, the highs, mids, and lows are pitch perfect! I hear each and every minute detail -- things I didn't always hear with other headphones. But, due to it's supreme sounding experience, don't crank the volume all the way for extended periods, because that could pose to be detrimental to your hearing, down the line.

Overall, I love these headphones!

Another great thing that I truly appreciate, is how a a rectangular shaped object on the 90° portion of the jack, causes it to stay in a fixed position to avoid deterioration amongst the plates.

Again, AWESOME headphones!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately disappointed, April 27, 2014
Love the look. Didn't expect killer sound, bearing in mind the (US) price, and maker. Sound was adequate for out and about, and better than my AKG K450. However the build quality was slightly disappointing, the fit was a little uncomfortable, for my head at least, but crucially, the cable failed after nineteen days. I didn't especially like the cable to begin with as it is thick, lacking in flexibility and just not great in use. But I am always very,very careful with my headphones, and for this cable to fail after less than three weeks is just not good enough. My previous 'phones, the AKG's, have lasted for two years and been everywhere and I only had to replace its very thin able once.
So sorry to say that I can not recommend these. In the US yeah, take a punt as $99 or less isn't a disaster I suppose, and with luck perhaps yours will last much longer and the build will not trouble you, but in the UK these cost an unbelievable £180+! At least for the military green, which I wanted as the black is a horrible glossy finish which is the worst fingerprint magnet possible. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Headphones, September 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was wowed from the packaging through the sound checks with theses headphones. They came very well packaged suggesting good quality from the very start. When I plugged them in and listened to my iPod I got a big smile as I had forgotten how much better over the ear headphones can sound than ear buds. The phones are very comfortable for me and fold very easily so they fit in the nice soft side case that they come with. The cord is a thick triangular shape that is not supposed to tangle. So far for me it has not. I like everything about these headphones. The main thing I think will be do they sound good enough to warrant the price they sell at. I think this will be a personal decision for each individual. For me I would be a very tough decision.

- Wow I forgot how much better over the ear sounds than ear buds!
- Very well packaged. High quality and cool.
- Comes with nice soft side case to hold the headphones
- Triangle cord doesn't seem to tangle as they claim
- Plug is too large to fit through my thick iPod case will need an extender.
- Design is very cool
- Very comfortable
- Fold easily to fit back into case

4.0 out of 5 stars The headphones of Dr. Caligari, August 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Diesel Vektr by Monster On-Ear Headphones are the most unusual-looking headphones that I have ever seen, with a shiny, black, crystalline aesthetic that seems to be influenced by early twentieth-century German Expressionism or Italian Futurism. The coherent style extends from the packaging and storage case to the ear pads, plugs, and even the cable, which is triangular in section.

There are some very thoughtful details such as the rubber gaskets that allow the very comfortable yellow-lined ear pads a few degrees of play and the tight, spring-tensioned hinges on the flexible, folding headband. The cable is replaceable and the build is sturdy.

In some ways, however, form was given precedence over function. Adjusting the headband only changes the pressure on the ears and its silicone padding is too hard. Some of the details such as the tiny screws, raised lettering, and corners are sharp and the plugs can be hard to grasp. The smooth plastic showcases smudges so much that it was deemed necessary to provide a polishing cloth.

The closed backs, the thick, soft cushioning of the ear pads, and firm on-ear pressure combine to make a tight seal so they do a truly excellent job of blocking out noise compared to most other on-ear headphones and even on par with a majority of over-the-ear and in-ear models. The closed backs also intensify the bass but at the expense of perceived soundstage and ambience. They are fairly efficient and a portable MP3 player can make the bass thumpy even with the volume set at a moderate level.

Yes, these headphones are definitely intended to showcase bass but surprisingly, they come up a bit short on nuance and detail in the low and mid-ranges when listening to something like the "Rolling Thunder" track from "The Fog of War" or Aretha Franklin's "Save Me". In interesting contrast, the higher ranges are crisp enough to make voices stand out.

Overall, the Diesel Vektr by Monster On-Ear Headphones are well-suited for active urban use and are perhaps even ideal for listening to music on the subway, with their attention-getting design, excellent noise-exclusion, and ability to put out plenty of heavy bass with still-intelligible vocals.

9/2/12 EDIT: I contacted Monster customer service with a question using their email form a couple of weeks ago and never received a response.

1.0 out of 5 stars so I am stuck with these cheap headphone (Received July 3 and had went bad by September 15), September 15, 2014
The 3.5mm Stereo cord with Apple control did not work well and the oversized end did not work with an Otter cover for the iPhone 5s. So I had to buy an aftermarket 3.5mm cord. Then the left ear headphone stopped working with no damage to it. It started to have static and then stopped working altogether. And to top it off, the time to return the item passed, so I am stuck with these cheap headphone (Received July 3 and had went bad by September 15). Save your money and DO NOT buy this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster Diesel Vektr Headphones Review, October 16, 2014
Korey (Columbus, Ohio) - See all my reviews
I had been shopping for a pair of Beats and then saw these on sale ...I thought "what the heck" and grabbed these instead.

I am stunned how good the Monster Vektr sounds. While most headphones I get need a “burn-in” period lasting from a few hours to a few days, these sounded good right out of the box. Burn-in is nothing more than leaving the headphones connected to an audio source at regular volume 24/7 for 1-3 days. This allows them to loosen up a bit and sound even better than brand new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love everything about them., August 11, 2014
I've been using these daily for well over a year and they are showing no signs of stopping. The sound is great, fit is super comfortable, and they look awesome! When they finally wear out, I'm going to try to buy another pair exactly like them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, great look, very impressed, February 26, 2014
I've owned Beats (from solo to Pro's) as well as Sennheiser, Bose, and a few in-between. I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile but I enjoy a great well rounded sound. I listen to a large variety of music from classical through to rap and I need headphones that can follow the range and bring out the best high, mids, and lows on demand. Out of all the mentioned headphones these (especially with the price) are definitely my favorite. They have powerful bass but not over powered. You can feel the bass boom and the lows vibrate just as you expect when it is needed. The mids and lows and overall clarity make listening to more vocal or instrumental based music an absolute joy. Look at the price! You can't go wrong here.

Monster Diesel VEKTR On-Ear Headphones with ControlTalk