Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on July 8, 2008
I just purchased a new plasma flat panel and a blue ray player to add to my home theatre system including a Sony ES receiver, cd/dvd changer, VCR and xbox 360. I wanted more then a simple power strip for power conditioning and to make my wife happy I needed to purchase a plasma console that hides my electronic treasures so they don't dominate our living room. The issue for me, looking for IR repeater systems to remotely operate my equipment, I found a few but were either on the expensive side and not worth the money since I don't have long distances to wire or very cheaply made built with differnt manufacturer parts. When I was researching power conditioners I found the Monster Empowered Power Center Ep 3650 with IR Repeater functionality built in. Monster sells a lower line for those who like to spend less and can live with Stage 2 filtering. The EP3650 was just the answer to what I and I assume many others are looking for. Leave it to Monster to look outside of the box and provide a decent power conditioner with IR functionality. This device has stage 3 filtering which I believe is in the middle of Monster's line of capabilities and is enough for my needs. I found that the picture and audio are clearer now with this unit and a few times we had brown-outs and the system properly reacted and shut down protecting my precious new plasma. There are also inputs for for cable, phone and network connections so this device can protect just about everything I need. I like the bright blue LED display which is switchable between showing amps and volts, the display can be dimmed or brightened to either no display at all or a vibrant blue display that will satisfy us who like glowing blue lights (makes a great night light if the unit's display is visible). You can also either run a trigger lead from one of your pieces of equipment to switch the "switched" outlets on and off or use the front panel of this unit to switch them. My only feedback for improvement to Monster would be to increase the 'bite" that the outlets have, they seemed a bit loose to me however have not had any plugs come out unless you pull the unit out without first checking to see if you have enough cord length available to pull the unit out. As for the IR functionality, the front top and bottom of the faceplate has light blue IR receivers on it so if the unit is visible you can use it to receive your remote signals. In the back it has 6 IR outlets that you can run two IR eyelets each for a total of 12 devices that it can send signals to. Monster provides two each of 2 eyelet cables and one each of a single eyelet cables and one remote receiver to pick up your remote signals for in the case like me where all of my equipment is hidden inside of my console. I was expecting some sort of delay in signals but pleasantly surprised to have found none. My Pannasonic plasma has a small IR window at the bottom of the set that is not too good nor sensitive. I found that the IR functionality of the empower to be more sensitive and improved my remote's cabability (Logitech Harmony 659), I can now pretty much forget about precisley aiming at the plasma's small IR window. I also have the IR eyelets installed in the console on my Panasonic BD30 blueray, xbox360, Sony ES receiver, Sony 100 disk changer, Sony VCR all with no problems. I have had the empower for about a month and I have not experienced one missed command on any device, and believe it or not when playing my xbox360 I have not noticed any lag in commands whatsoever so I am quite pleased with the IR Performance. Overall I am very pleased with this product and would recomend it to anyone with the need for decent power conditioning/protection and IR repeater functionality. Everyone who comes over is very surpised to see no visible equipment but full remote functionality, plus my wife is happy that my equipment is descretely hiddend within our console furniture, that with full IR perfomance is a big win for all in our family.
on March 8, 2010
I have been using this power filter for about a week and have heard a noticeable difference in an already very good sounding stereo system. I was using a Furman Elite 15 (not a shabby conditioner) for the last year and noticed a tiny difference between that unit and just a cheap power strip. Switching to the Monster 3650 changed several things:
1. The over all sound stage of the music was noticeably wider and deeper.
2. The emotional connection with the music was much stronger. I found myself listening and enjoying whole CDs instead of just trying to hear tonal differences.
3. There was a little more treble in the overall signal.
4. There was a little less overall bass, but the bass that was there was tighter and better controlled. There was actually too much and it was bloated before so this is an advantage.
My system consists of good Denon CD player feeding a B&K processor and Reference 200.2 amp. My speakers are B&W Nautilus 805s with very good cable throughout.
This product is a great deal and I highly recommend it to anyone who would like to improve the sound of their system. I can't comment on what it does for video only because I have a crappy standard-def TV that didn't show any difference, but I wouldn't expect it to; my system is mostly for audio.
-david
on March 3, 2010
We purchased the EP 3650 based on the recommendation of a friend as the protection for our new theater room. The price / value was certainly excellent based on the specifications and some comparison shopping. We have no complaints with performance.

That said, I do have a couple of commments on things I don't really like about it. I found the user's manual to be feeble at best -- far from what I expected. I did have a problem that the user's manual did not describe nor help me diagnose -- you have to repeatedly press the power on button to turn on the "switched outlets". I found this through trial and error and was nearly ready to return it as defective. The poor documentation for a component with the reputation of Monster Power is just not acceptible in my opinion.

Lastly, I consider the styling a good bit "over the top". I can't think of any other AV components by any uplevel manufacturers that match this styling. It isn't a problem for us because the power center is in the room behind our components and not visible. However, I'd probably return it for something with better styling (in spite of the hardware specs) if this weren't the situation.
on January 12, 2010
I own a high end, professional recording studio and would never be without my Monster Power Center EP 3650. They provide piece of mind, knowing that I(and my $50,000+ worth of equipment) am covered if a surge should rear its ugly little head. On top of that, the unit provides clean power, which is absolutely pertinent in laying down noise-free tracks in the studio.

I had huge issues with dirty power and humming in my studio before I bought this unit. Now, I am always rest assured to record clean and precise tracks without worrying about outside interference.

There is really no down side to this unit for me and my application in the studio. It provides the confidence I need to know 100%, that my recordings will always be the best they can be and... noise free.

[...]
on November 7, 2009
I originally purchased this because it included the IR repeater. I ended up buying a Harmony 900 RF remote because the IR sensor on the EP 3650 was huge and unsightly. After that, you have to ask if it was worth it to have a fancy surge protector. My answer is.....maybe. I had a high end shop set up 4 flat screens in my house, and they used these wall mountable little things behind them. If those are good enough, you have to wonder if the Monster is not just fluff. In any case, you can buy a UPS for a computer for much less and have a battery backup to your DVR so that those 2 second outages don't cause a reboot. I am actually thinking of adding in a UPS for just this reason, and wish I had thought about it before buying the Monster EP 3650.
on October 8, 2008
This is a great item with excellent protection for any entertainment center. The RF function set up is easy to install and is quite the relief. Monster comes through once again with superior products.
on August 5, 2013
I have to say this is one of the few products I've ever had problems with. I have had it for about 5 years now and I haven't lost a single part of the A/V system.