Published on March 28, 2012 by Goyathlay

Published on April 1, 2012 by NLee the Engineer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, but handicapped by its non-adjustable trip level, April 1, 2012
This review is from: Monster GreenPower Digital PowerCenter MDP 650 - 6 outlets, 2160 joule rating (Electronics)
The concept behind this Monster Power MDP650 Green Powercenter is good, though hardly "revolutionary" as claimed. I have purchased the Smart Strip LCG5 Energy Saving Power Strip more than two years ago, and it operates on exactly the same auto-off principle. Basically, you need to draw a minimum amount of current or power from the 'Master' device, before all four of the 'Slave' devices can power on. Once the Master device is turned off, or its current drops below a lower threshold, all the Slave devices are tripped off.

Compared to the Smart Strip LCG5, the Monster MDP650 has one major drawback: its current-detection threshold is non-adjustable. The manufacturer did not disclose what is the minimum current (or power) of the Master device required for reliable detection. The following is my own measured data based on one unit (your result may vary):

- When the Master device draws over 0.4A of current or ~48W power at 120V [*see REMARK below*], all Slave devices are turned on
- When the Master device's current drops to below 0.22A (or ~26W or power), all Slave devices are turned off.

So here lies the problem: if I plug in a Master device that consumes less than 50W of power, it may not be able to turn on all Slave devices. For example, my Samsung 23" LCD TV in the bedroom consumes ~40W, which is below the detection threshold. Same problem applies for most SFF (small-form-factor) computers, because their power consumption is typically under 50W. In contrast, the Smart Strip LCG5 has an adjustable current detection threshold, so it is more flexible in terms of the Master device you can use.

I got this Monster PowerCenter during Amazon Lightning Deal for just one-third its list price of $60, so it is still an acceptable value. Otherwise I recommend going for the Smart Strip LCG3 because it offers adjustable trip level and 10 outlets.

[REMARK]
The auto-on/off trip levels are based on current, not power. For a purely resistive load, power and current are related by:
[ Power = Voltage * Current ]
For example, a 40W 120V incandescent bulb consumes roughly 0.33A because 120V*0.33A = 40W.

However, a typical electronic appliance does not behave like a pure resistor. Its current consumption is always slightly higher than that of a resistive load at the same wattage. So you cannot simply calculate its input current based on power consumption rating. You have to measure its current consumption directly, using a power meter such as the P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt.

1.0 out of 5 stars MONSTROUS DIGITAL DUD, May 3, 2012
Buyer beware! This item does not do what the manufacturer claims it will.......

I bought this item as a Lightening Deal on March 17, 2012 in anticipation of Earth Day, put it away and forgot about it until May 2, 2012. I set it up for the computer workstation in my home and made connections as shown in the instructional video, matching my peripherals to the labeled outlets on the power strip as follows:

1) "Greenpower Control/Computer" - Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo

2) "Monster Greenpower Controlled Outlets" /
"Monitor" - HP w1858 18.5 inch widescreen HD flat panel monitor
"Printer" - Dell p1500 monochrome laser printer
"Speakers" Harmon/Kardon Soundsticks
"Accessory" - Belkin 7 port USB hub used for keyboard, mouse, iPhone charge/sync, iPad sync, digital camera, etc.
"Modem" - unused (I had hoped to connect an external drive here)

After making all connections and powering up the computer the following happened: after entering password to log on to the computer, the monitor was turned off by the Monster Digital Powercenter. Then a loud sound from the speakers. Next the printer powered on. Then began an annoying intermittent series of sounds from the speakers that would not stop.
I then plugged the monitor into a separate power strip to get it powered on, rebooted the computer and logged on. I turned off the monitor and plugged it back into the Monster Digital Powercenter and turned it on again. Within 20 seconds the Monster Digital Powercenter turned the monitor off again. Then came the annoying sounds from the speakers again.
I have since removed the Monster Digital Powercenter from my computer setup and am considering what to do with it.
Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

5.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, slightly annoying & requires some trial and error..., March 28, 2012
I got this on a gold box sale for use with a mac mini. Because the mini uses so little power when it's on and not doing much, it would periodically cause the power strip to shut everything off at random. I tried various combinations of devices daisy chained with the computer to nudge power consumption up to stay above the "computer" port's sleep threshold. Ultimately, combining my external hard drive with the mini on the computer port has worked reliably for a few weeks so far.

After fixing that glitch, I tried putting the computer to sleep. Sure enough, I heard a faint click sound from the strip. My two monitors, printer and a usb hub (ipod & phone connected) appeared to power down completely. Unfortunately, everything powered back on almost immediately and there were a slew of "improperly disconnected" / "your device may have lost or corrupted data" messages on my screen. I tried sleeping the computer while booted into Windows with the same result.

I should have expected this to happen (just as it happens when you unplug any USB "drive-like" device), so it's not a fault of the power strip ... just a bit annoying. Putting my hub on the "router / always on" port fixed it. These workarounds are not how I imagined the power strip functioning, but the device works as advertised, should work without hacks for many people, cuts power to four devices when I leave the desk, and it may actually save me a few dimes a month. I wouldn't pay the price it's listed at now, but for the 50% off deal price, it should pay for itself in maybe 3-4 years. :O Hooray for being eco-friendly!

2.0 out of 5 stars works, August 28, 2012
[Good]

It's main power saving feature works as intended.

[Bad]

There are few outlets.

There is not enough spacing between most of the outlets, making this product not as useful. I'm unable to use two of the six outlets. There are already too few outlets as is.

It's too expensive, given its flaw.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but limited implementation., November 14, 2013
A 'green' power center is a good idea, but doesn't work as well in practice.

It worked well when I used it for a computer and peripherals - it made sense to turn off some of the peripherals (speaker, monitor, etc) when the computer is turned off.
But once I connected a wireless printer to it, that's when the downsides of this become apparent - either the computer needs to be on all the time, so the printer can be accessed from other machine, or the printer turns off with the computer.
Ditto for any other use where you have 2 'master' devices.

Make sure you know exactly where you're going to use this and what it'll do before buying this.

3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: no RF (coaxial) protection; not AV friendly, April 2, 2012
04/28/2012 UPDATE: It is, I think, noteworthy that Monster, in its instructions that accompany this power strip, alerts one to the fact that a home entertainment system that employs RF connectors must be protected - which they note that this power strip does not do. As I noted in my original post, below, I tried to find a use for this power strip: I failed, i.e., I have no components, devices, or equipment to which I am able to connect to this power strip and take advantage of its power-saving feature. But that's just me; it would be nice to hear how users who have RF-dependent devices employ this power strip without having to have a second one to protect ALL of their devices attached to their system. It is also noteworthy that Monster states the obvious, to wit: devices that must be always on must be connected to an alternative power supply. All of which raises the question: why not make a power strip that incorporates both RF-connectors and a couple of always-on receptacles to cover all of one's needs? I must say, for me, this power strip is utterly useless.

ORIGINAL POST: I rated this surge protector 3 stars because, for the most, it does what it claims to do with computer systems, albeit a bit finicky as NLee's excellent review points out, but not for AV/home theater use. I strongly disagree with the manufacturer's description that applies this protector to AV equipment regarding surges: IT DOES NOT PROTECT RF (coaxial) CIRCUITRY BECAUSE THE MDP650 HAS NO RF CONNECTORS.

The package states, "Good for computers and home theaters." If any home theater system component (TV, set-top box, receiver AV/FM input, etc.) connects to an external antenna or set-top box (cable, satellite, analog-digital converter, etc.), the MDP650 has no accommodation for the RF connectors. In my area of southeastern New Mexico, lightning is a major issue - against which the MDP650 affords no protection for currents and voltages induced therefrom and transmitted to AV components through coaxial cables. Under this circumstance, I cannot agree that the MDP650 protects home theaters.

Secondly, IF I were to use the MDP650 for my home theater, I would connect it to the TV because that is my primary AV use; however, doing so creates untenable recording issues: in this situation, set-top boxes and recording devices (TiVo, DVR, DVD, VCR, computer etc.) cannot be connected to the MDP650 for unattended recording unless one leaves the TV on: if the TV is off, all of the connected receiving/recording devices are off! Furthermore, scheduled recording insists that the devices' clocks be set (so the system knows when to begin recording) - which have to be reset every time the system is turned off. Obviously then, to record scheduled programming, one has to leave the TV on and reset the clocks - or - plug in all receiving and recording devices into a separate, non energy-saving (always on) surge protector.

Limitations also present with computer use. All-in-one printers that include FAX capabilities, must be left on if unattended FAXes are to be received; so too with networked systems that share the same printer or other devices. Additionally, as in the case of home theater systems, any computer component utilizing an RF connector (combination TV/computer monitors, TV/video cards, etc.) that connect to an antenna or set-top box are afforded no protection.

Although it performs its on/off function as advertised, it seems to me that the MDP650 has very limited application in the realm of computers and home theaters. I purchased this via the lightning deal as they were "flying off the shelf," i.e., before I had a chance to carefully assess it. I'll find a use for the one I have but I will not be purchasing another.

Monk

3.0 out of 5 stars Monster Power MDP650, September 18, 2013
Beware, this should be used with computers. I bought it for my dad's Big Screen TV, Blu-Ray DVD player, and cable box. Only the main green outlet and the non-linked green outlet will work unless you plug a computer into the main green outlet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Monster Power MDP650 Green Powercenter, January 13, 2013
Does not work as states. Keeps turning power off to computer, and printer. Do not waste your money on the monster power MDP650 powercenter (6 outlet).

2.0 out of 5 stars I DON'T LIKE IT !!, April 20, 2012
Amazon Customer (Hixson, TN United States) - See all my reviews
I CAN HEAR RELAYS CLICKING ALL THE TIME. IT IS ANNOYING. SOME OF THE OUTLETS DO NOT POWER UP. THEY JUST COME ON AND OFF AND DO NOT CHARGE! ONLY TWO OUTLETS WORK.

1.0 out of 5 stars Had to return it immediately because it was defective., April 20, 2013
I guess that perhaps I just got a "bad apple" so to speak, and given the fact that it was designed to be in line with it's expensive price, I expected a better product than I received. After day 3 or so, one side of the unit's indicator lights went out so that was my first indication that it was perhaps defective, then some of the ports wouldn't work anymore either, despite the fact that I made sure as to NOT overload the PowerCenter or use it for some major items that weren't fit for this power source. I tried everything possible to make sure that I was using it properly, but I didn't expect using a Monster PowerCenter like this could be so complicated and difficult to use, if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I purchased this and because I returned it immediately I am giving the details that I remember from my experience). Perhaps you'll get a better product than I did and will have better luck keeping it in working order. I bought it because I've never had problems with Monster's more expensive/better quality products.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›