5.0 out of 5 stars Right fit is KEY!!
TLDR (those who may not know, "too long didn't read"): These are awesome.

Though I've shopped with Amazon for some time now, this is my first review I've written; ever. That alone should tell you something. I snagged these bad boys during their lightning deal, and what a steal!

The packaging was phenomenal. Besides looking nice, it was easy to get...
Published 21 months ago by Eric Montgomery

2.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS BEFORE YOU BUY
Published 10 months ago by Quinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Right fit is KEY!!, November 27, 2012
This review is from: Monster iSport LIVESTRONG In-Ear Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
TLDR (those who may not know, "too long didn't read"): These are awesome.

The packaging was phenomenal. Besides looking nice, it was easy to get into. Instead of closing everything in with awful amounts of tape, which then ruins the packaging when you strip it off, they used little magnets embedded in the boxes to hold things closed. A gentle tug and voila, it's open. The instruction/warranty/disclaimer books are all right there, along with the head phones and a carrying case. Underneath the little "display case" holding the headphones are the extra buds/hooks (along with a wire clip) in two separate bags.

The sound is better than the packaging! I would label them as bass heavy, but in a good way (at least if you enjoy bass). What I mean is the rest of the sound isn't sacrificed for the bass. You have a nice full sound, with a heavy bass on top of it. I would think this is generally what people looking for sport headphones want, as when you're working out/playing a game/etc you're generally going to be listening to music with a driving beat. These would work fine listening to an orchestra, but they certainly wouldn't be the best choice. Far as I'm concerned, the sound is phenomenal though.

The fit is also great (more on that below), and I'm able to leave them in for hours without discomfort. They're light, so you don't feel them weighing down on you, and they stay right where they're supposed to without you having to constantly reach up and wriggle them back into place. Just pop them in and forget about them.

There's one fairly common complaint I've noticed amongst the reviews, and while it's of course subjective, I think the complaint is mostly unwarranted. The issue is the placement of the control button. It's high up on the cord, just underneath the left bud. Most people are complaining that's it's too high a placement to be comfortable to use, and would be better suited lower down near the chest or even belly button. Here's the thing: the control is also a microphone for taking phone calls, so it HAS to be up their to pick up your voice. So I fail to see the problem.

MY issue with the control button, and really my only con for these headphones, is that answering/ending calls and playing/pausing your music is all the button does. Having volume control there would've made these perfect as far as I'm concerned. That's it, my only gripe.

Now to move on to the important part of making these things work. The trick to these is as many others have written: you have to take the time to get the right fit. This means the ear piece needs to fit snugly into your canal AND fill the entire space (or as close as possible). I popped them on straight out of the box and had a moment of panic, because they sounded like any dime store, tinny headphones. But a simple test showed their true colors. I simply pushed the headphones into my ears (you know you've done this with earbuds at least once), creating a solid seal, and the sound was phenomenal. So I knew all I had to do then was find the right combination of the ear buds and the hooks to replicate that sound without me having to push on them.

For me it was a combination of extremes; the largest buds and smallest hooks. This allowed the buds to create a nice seal in the canal, blocking out noise and allowing for the full sound to hit me, as well making for a snug, wriggle free fit, and the hooks fititng comfortably and holding everything in place. You want the buds to fit like the little yellow foam ear protectors that you roll up and squish into your ear, and then they expand to the size of your canal. One of the buds in the package should fit just like that for you, and you need to be patient and find the ones that do, as well as the right hook size to hold them in. Before long, you'll have your reward, and as with most great things in life, it'll have been worth the wait!

2.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS BEFORE YOU BUY, November 10, 2013
First, I want to say that the sound quality and overall functionality is great, especially for the price. They hold up against sweat, water (i.e. rain) and dirt in general. They have a nice fit; however, they are not perfect, i.e. long workouts + excessive sweat = loose fit, but this was at least addressable with the crazy amount of fitting buds and ear pieces it came with.

Now, the reason for the BAD rating:

I bought these ear buds TWICE!
The first time they lasted a week. After 2 days the controller stopped functioning entirely. After a week, the ear-buds stopped working entirely (prior, about day 4, the sound would cut in and out). I returned them for a refund.

The second time, they lasted about 3 months. After 2 months, the controller stopped functioning just like the last one. After 2.5 months, the volume started to cut in and out. I also noted that when running outside while it was 30 deg and below, the cord would get pretty stiff. Not that this is unexpected, but once back inside at around 60 -70 deg, the cord no longer had the same flexibility as it had before. This of course took a couple of weeks to develop, but still, its inexcusable in my mind.

I tested these with multiple device to ensure it wasn't the players fault... it wasn't.

Overall, these ear buds had great quality initially, both in sound and functionality, but they deteriorate QUICKLY! For around $50, they need to last longer than that... a lot longer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy the Yellow Livestrong Version, August 17, 2012
David (Ann Arbor, MI, United States) - See all my reviews
While the yellow livestrong version is depicted as merely a color variation that costs more (with proceeds going to Livestrong), it is actually an inferior product that lacks the ControlTalk feature. You can start or stop music or calls, but cannot adjust volume or perform other functions. If you look closely at the pictures you can see the difference. And if you look closely at the product headlines as you hover over the color choices you'll notice that black and blue both mention ControlTalk, but yellow does not. Also, the listed MSRP for yellow is lower. Because it is a different product. Nevertheless the description of the yellow does, as of today, indicate that ControlTalk is included.

Amazon is engaging in a false advertising/bait and switch scheme here.

This update is being added a few days later:

While waiting for my blue pair to arrive I've been using the yellows (they were open anyway and I had already been using them when I figured out that my memory was correct and they should have had control talk). I'll return these then. Anyway, I can say that the sound is good but they are a bit tricky to insert, especially with one hand. Once in though they stay put.

The one thing about this pair that concerns me is the little button. More than half the time when I hit it quickly to indicate stop there is a delay and then Siri comes on. Hitting it again usually restarts the music, and then hitting it again may stop the music or it may bring Siri back. I know that holding down the button is supposed to summon Siri, but in these cases I'm just tapping it quickly. Several times I have thought that I stopped something (an audio book), only to find later that it had started back up and that hours had passed. A couple of times I stopped the book but didn't remove my headphones for whatever reason. Maybe thirty seconds later it started up again--for no discernible reason. So the only really reliable way to stop something is via the phone screen. I hope that the control talk on the blues functions properly.

4.0 out of 5 stars From 2 stars to 4 stars - a honest review, July 12, 2012
To start off, I run a decent amount, and had been using Klipsch S4s but was looking something better because they kept falling out of my ears. I use my iPhone 4S to listen to music and hold my iPhone in my hand when I run. The first thing I noticed was finding the right clip was hard. All of them started hurting after a few minutes. Eventually, I found one thar didnt hurt as much and eventaully my ears got used to it. You just have to ignore that they are there and not think about them or touch them too much.
The reason I have this titled 2 Stars to 4 Stars is because the first few times I used it, the music kept cutting in and out. I thought I had received a defective pair, but it turns out that the control talk button kept hititng my chest and kept cutting the music in and out. I did return the pair, but I found the same issue on my new pair amazon sent me as well. I read almost every review on this site looking for someone who had the same problem as me but couldnt. So I figured, there had to be a solution to my problem, or I had to do something wrong. The solution that solved my problem was putting the headphones under my shirt and putting the iphone in my pocket. It helped it from cutting in and out and it now works pretty good.

They stay in my ear during my 2-3 mile runs and 12 mile bike rides and dont have many more issues anymore.

If you got the money, its worth a try.

Thanks

1.0 out of 5 stars Overhyped, overpriced, April 16, 2014
The sound is okay. The "tangle-free" cord doesn't stay untangled. The fit is okay, depending on the breaks. They are more durable than your average earbuds, particularly is you're using them to work out, but there are multiple deal-breaking problems with these.

I bought a pair a year ago. With almost daily use, within 6 months, the earclips had torn at the joint. I moved one size down, and they still fit okay. Now the earclips have torn at the joint again, and now, they're worthless even though the drivers are still fine. Monster doesn't have replacement ear clips available. I tried returning to monster since the 1 year warranty hadn't expired, but they refused a warranty return/exchange because I purchased them from a third-party seller on amazon who wasn't a "authorized monster dealer," whatever that means. They admitted on the phone they could verify authenticity, but nontheless refused the return.

The other problem with these is that within 3 or 4 months, the silicone ear tips will stretch where they hook on to the drivers, even if you never remove the ear tips. That means they will start falling off of their own accord and not stay in your ears. Also, you're likely to lose the eartips because seriously, they fall off at totally random times. Because you get one set of each size, losing the right size eartips will mean you have to buy more for like 20-30 bucks.

Medicre product. If you're paying more than 35 dollars, you're paying too much. Thanks to my experience with this and Monster customer service, I will never purchase a Monster product again. Never again Monster, never again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, August 5, 2013
I love these headphones. After I found the proper tip and ear placement they have not moved from my ears. I run and mountain bike and have had no issues with them. If there was one issue it would be the noise cancellation is pretty good. So running or talking to others while you have them in your ear can be a problem. I love the controls and where they are located and have had no issues with them at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its an OK set of Headphones, August 3, 2013
They work well with my I-phone but I have tried all the combinations of ear tips and I cant get a good fit. The deep tones are just not there with out a good fit. They do stay in place while jogging and seem to be sturdy. It does take a firm push to press the buttons on the controller. As an update on 10/28/2013 I had to send these back for a replacement since the iPod controls stopped working and Siri would come on at random times. Monster replaced them quickly and customer service was very good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fail!, July 26, 2013
Maybe it was just my set but.....broke after 2 weeks of training.

The "waterproof" remote seal opened up and sweat from marathon training in summer heat got in. This sent the remote crazy- ffwd- pause- etc etc.

The remote either needs to be waterproof or to be chopped from the product.

Great sound quality & fit but useless waterproofing

1.0 out of 5 stars It broke after 2 months, July 18, 2013
Worked great for 2 months, then the left ear piece went dead. This is the third product from Monster that I have bought, all have been crap. Learn my lesson not buying anything Monster again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, June 26, 2013
It's funny how they were 'used.' honestly I thought they were new when the came. These were particularly cheap only because its a 'livestrong' edition. So long as you don't give a flying hoot about armstrong and his shenanigans, it's a great save. These are better headphones than some other $100 ones

Rate and Discover Movies