Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Shop Now bgg

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on May 30, 2009
This book continues to build on the 4th edition core mechanics by providing tons more creatures for DM's to choose from when building encounters.

As mentioned by a previous reviewer, there are lots of variations on existing monsters and fewer brand new monsters. I personally think that is the better way to go. D&D has a lot of good core monsters, no need to include all sorts of bizarre, weird, and silly new creatures. What is much more useful is to creature variations of existing monsters at different encounter levels, and this book just does that.

The encounter groups listed at the end of each monster race entry include both Monster Manual 2 and original Monster Manual creatures, a nice touch.

Lots of humanoid races are included such as Duergar, Bullywugs, Myconids, Centaurs, and other classics from previous editions. They also expanded on some of the existing core races from both the Player's Handbook and Player's Handbook 2: Eladrin, Devas, Humans, Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, and Goliaths.

This book focuses almost exclusively on monster mechanics and it delivers exactly that. However I ding it one star for a combination of little things.

1) There is a great table in the back breaking down monsters by level, listing their type (Skirmisher, Brute, etc.) and the page number. Scattered throughout the book are pre-built encounter groups and they vary in level from the monsters they contain. It would have been trivial to gather up all those encounter groups into a table in the back of the book like they did for the individual monsters, but they didn't. (They didn't do this in the original Monster Manual, which I didn't like either.)

2) There is no good mechanism for adjusting monsters up or down in level based on the adventuring party's level. There are only so many monsters in the book so I think it would add more to the playability to have a way of altering existing monsters based on the target encounter level. I am hoping this will come out in the Dungeon Master's Guide 2 but I'll have to wait and see. (Again, the original Monster Manual didn't have this either.)

Overall a great reference for DM's.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2009
I almost wish this book had come out before the first Monster Manual. I know the MM had to cover a certain amount of ground with the monsters you "need": goblins, orcs, etc. But the choices at low levels were always so limited and boring.

Monster Manual 2 adds so much variety to the heroic tier, it almost makes me want to start my campaign over! What I would have given to have giant ants, myconids and bullywugs in the early days of my storyline! Oh, well, bygones.

Of course, this book is also packed with typos, contradictions, and oversights, just like every 4th Edition book ever. That's why I'm docking a star. It really is getting ridiculous that these guys can't put together a clean book once in a while.
on December 23, 2011
Produto de qualidade indiscutível, bom acabamento, muito bem escrito. A Amazon é a melhor opção pra quem quer adquirir um produto de qualidade com preço acessível. A única deficiência que por sinal não é culpa da Amazon é a respeito do envio, pois o Brasil tem uma burocracia muito grande e alfandega enrolada, pois demora quase 60 dias para receber o produto.
on December 11, 2012
I am running a 4.0 D&D campaign, and this book gave me some useful stuff to spice up my campaign. One one complaint is not about his book, but about this 4.0 version of the game: It seems the monsters have a lot of hit points, and they take a long time to defeat.
on September 12, 2009
Better balanced monsters. The WotC team improved over the MM by more play testing and more knowledge of how encounters should run. These are just more fun. I use it instead of the MM when I can (replacing the name of a monster with the stats of an MM2 monster that is similar).
on June 26, 2009
This second installment of the 4th edition monster manual is definitely a must have for any DM out there. Although it's not as thick as the first monster manual, I can say without a doubt you will be happy with the additions made in this book. It adds many new monsters and alot of older monsters to fill in different roles. They also finally added metallic dragons! The only reason I gave a 4 star is because wizards is charging 35$ (which is what I payed) and I don't feel you quite get 35$ worth, but it really is a nice addition to the 4th edition books.
on September 28, 2009
A nice book. Many new possibilities for previous monsters, some new (old) monsters and just a few never before seen ones - which is great.