4.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!!
Not to be confused with the 80s movie of the same name, "The Monster Squad" was a fond memory from my childhood. This 70s NBC Saturday morning show featured a pre "Love Boat" Fred Grandy as Walt, a night watchman at
Published on March 30, 2009 by S. Schwetman

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Some childhood memories are best left a happy memory. This show is CRAP.
Published 4 months ago by David W. Schrader

4.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!!, March 30, 2009
a Hollywood-type wax museum who was also a criminology college student during the day. He built a "Crime Computer" to monitor police activity during his shift. The computer somehow brought to life the statues of the Frankenstein Monster, Dracula, and the Wolfman(not Laurence Talbot, but Bruce WW. The initials stood for WereWolf). To make up for past misdeeds, the three use their unique abilities to fight crime. The show featured "special guest villians" like Marty Allen, Alice Ghostly, Jonathan Harris, amoung others. If the show reminded you of the 60s "Batman" tv show, that's because both shows were produced by the same people. I can't wait for this DVD, and I still think an updated version of this show would work today.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ORIGINAL DRAC PACK !, July 10, 2009
The Monster Squad television series ran for one season in 1976 compiling 13 episodes during its brief run. Thanks to Fabulous Films / Virgil films fans can now enjoy the "Monster Squad" the complete series on DVD. All 13 live action episodes are included on two single sided discs with great disc packaging and awesome disc artwork. According to the rear of the package the episodes have been completely restored for this DVD release and in my opinion the quality of both picture and sound is excellent. There is some minor grain here & there in some of the episodes but they are still better than anything I expected to see and hear. There isn't an episode booklet included however the Episode Synopsis does appear on the inside of the DVD case when you open it. You still have to remove the discs to see them.

Walter played by (Fred Grandy) is a criminology student who moonlights as a night watchman in Fred's wax museum. Because nothing ever happens while he's on duty Walter constructs a high tech "crime computer" to pass the time. Upon its completion Walter plugs in his new crime computer and something totally unexpected happens. Walter can hardly believe his eyes when he sees what has happened and he quickly realizes that life in the old Museum will never be the same.

It appears that the oscillating vibrations from Walter's new super crime computer have brought back to life three of the Museums most diabolical inhabitants. Dracula, the Werewolf and Frankenstein are now back amongst the living and they have Walter and his crime computer to thank for it. The Monsters with the help of Walter will now join forces and try to make amends for their past misdeeds by helping people instead of harming them. Now that the formation of the "Monster Squad" is complete, these unlikely heroes will use some very unconventional tactics to battle an assortment of outrageous villains. The "Monster Squad" has brought back some great childhood memories for me and I'm glad I bought the set.

The Main Cast:

-Series Synopsis
-Motion Menus

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected!, June 25, 2009
US PhotoGuy (Des Moines, IA USA) - See all my reviews
The last time I saw "The Monster Squad", I was seven. I couldn't remember much about the show other than I liked it at the time and I was bummed when it went off the air. I was thrilled to find that over 30 years later it was finally being released on DVD. Without hesitation, I ordered it. I wasn't expecting the show to be very good, or the transfer to look decent. To my surprise, the show isn't bad (though clearly aimed at kids), and the transfer is excellent. If you're even thinking about it...ORDER IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "monster" show for kids!, December 29, 2012
WD Preece (Kentucky USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monster Squad (DVD)
Arguably my favorite childhood show! The mid-70s was a great time to be a monster fan. Lots of reruns of the classic Universal monsters movies, lots of magazines (Famous Monsters!), comics, toys, and cartoons about them as well. I was 9 when the Monster Squad aired and I was completely thrilled and terrified at the same time! They looked pretty frightening to me, even the dorky Frank character. Just like a few years earlier with the Batman show (made by the same producer; which I saw in reruns), I thought it was pretty realistic--goofy at times (the Tickler? Really?), but realistic nontheless. I loved the whole concept of reformed monsters working for a very Dick Grayson-esque (Robin), clean cut leader who believed in the goodness of the American way of life. I was so idealistic that even the undead could be good!

I'd like to draw a distinction here between the monster genre and the horror genre. These are related, but very different. Monsters can be good (Godzilla, the Hulk) or bad based on their situation. Monsters are really about being an outcast or about the mistakes of uncontrolled science--a wide range of stories there. But horror is about sustaining a certain emotion (fear) at all costs (logical plot not required), and often utilizes unhealthy images of gore. I would have no problem showing a young child these schlocky monster movies, but would never let him/her see Freddy Kruger or any of that.

1976 was like having Halloween every single week!

I also recommend any of the other live-action Saturday morning shows produced at this time. For whatever reason, Hollywood or the networks opted for a slew of live-action shows over cartoons. I did lament the loss of great cartoons that year, but was completely won over by the great live-action shows: Monster Squad, Ark II, Jason of Star Command, Space Academy, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, Land of the Lost (Sleestacks scared me to death!), and reruns of Lidsville. Wow, what a great era!

The best thing for parents here is the peace of mind that there was no inappropriate in these shows. Parents need not worry about letting these DVDs do their babysitting for them (let's not judge, almost all of us do it). I think they do a lot more character building than they might seem at first glance. Frankenstein is a gentle brute, the Wolfman is a goodhearted everyman, and Dracula always overcomes his urges to do what is right.

Make no mistake, these are kids' shows and have elements that only a young person can truly appreciate. But if you're like me, you enjoy that from time to time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, February 14, 2014
This review is from: Monster Squad (DVD)
When my girls were little they watched this movie until it no longer worked. So when i found it and bought it they were so excited. We have watched it several times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster Squad Rave Review, January 9, 2014
This review is from: Monster Squad (DVD)
Its by the same people who brought you batman. Same premise but more of a halloween theme. Nice and campy. Julie Newmar, Catwomen appears as Ultra with in this Series. Also cool monster van. Gopher from Love boat appears as Walt

4.0 out of 5 stars old school, Saturday morning hijinks, December 21, 2013
I'd forgotten all about his show when I chanced across it while browsing through Amazon. As soon as I started watching it popped in my head. I had totally forgotten that former senator(!) Fred Grandy starred in this show only a year or so before he landed his role as "Gopher" on THE LOVE BOAT! Lots of fun. Our friends' little ones were laughing all the way though, so I guess it still has its charms. You can tell that many of the writing crew from the old Batman TV show were behind this series; the dialogue was very familiar and it had lots of cornball humor and tons of awful puns! Video & audio quality are about what you'd expect from an obscure,shot-on-video kids TV show from 40 years ago. Don't go in expecting BenHur remastering and you'll be alright. Good times! :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Monster Squad, October 13, 2013
This review is from: Monster Squad (DVD)
Great show. I watched when it first came out in 1976 and never seen it again until I found the DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Monster Squad 1976 TV series DVD set, May 29, 2013
This review is from: Monster Squad (DVD)
The TV series was dopier than I remembered it being. But, it was a show aimed at youngsters so, that's to be expected. The real fun is in seeing the guest villains and supporting players. Many recognizable faces! This is a 2 DVD set that contains all 13 episodes of the mid-seventies Saturday morning kids show. A mindless amusement that manages to be entertaining.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fond Memories of Childhood TV, June 5, 2014
This review is from: Monster Squad (DVD)
Fond memories of childhood TV brought back from the graveyard
o' syndicated programming (lol) - this release is about as digitally
remastered as you're going to see (until another Company wants
to spend more $ on a Blu-ray release) so be 'fang' ful and enjoy

Monster Squad
Monster Squad by Herman Hoffman (DVD - 2012)
Used & New from: $99.50