5.0 out of 5 stars My recommendation
Published on March 20, 2009 by FC

Published on March 2, 2012 by AntonSaidWhat

5.0 out of 5 stars My recommendation, March 20, 2009
This review is from: Monster Turbine High Performance In-Ear Speakers (127593) - Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have had the opportunity to listen to the Monster Turbine for a month or so. In my experience the earphones I have purchased, especially the ones with dynamic drivers, they often need a certain amount of burn-in time before they reach their full potential. I have burned in the Monster with a mix of pink noise and a variety of music for around 100 hours before I started listening to them seriously.

In the past couple of years I have "collected" earphones in my search for the ultimate sound. I have used these to compare to the Monster Turbine and I have categorized them into three groups:
Lower budget earphones($15-40): Koss Sparkplug, Skullcandy Ink'd JVC HAFX66, JVC HAFX33, Sennheiser CX300, Soundmagic PL-30 and 12, Maximo IM-390. Mid budget earphones($50-90): Ultimate Ears Super fi.3, NUFORCE NE-7M, Denon 551, Shure E2c Crossroads mylarone Bijou 3 and Altec Lansing IM716. Upper budget earphones($100-200) Audeo PFE 112, Shure SE310, Q-Jays and Yuin OK2.

The music I have been listening to The Turbines with has been a mix of different artist and genres.
Classical rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Eagles, Neil Young, The Doors, Dire Straits, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Rush). Electronica (Infected Mushrooms, Daft Punks, Kraftwerk, Aphex Twins )
New wave/eighties music (Spandau Ballet, Lloyd Cole, Talking Heads, The Clash, New Order, Peter Gabriel). Alt.Rock ( Nirvana, REM, Pearl Jam, Coldplay, Smashing Pumkins, The Pixies). New Metal (Nightwish, Dream Theatre, Porcupine Three, Evanescence, Metallica). Female artists within Jazz/folk/opera ( Diana Krall, Kari Bremnes, Joni Mitchell, Sara Brightman) Jazz/fusion (John Mchauglin, Al di Meola, Andy Mckee, Charlie Parker John Coltrane, Pat Metheny) And many more..

My sources has primarily been a very portable Sansa Clip, a less portable Creative Zen Vision M and an old classic, but great sounding Rio Karma. Also PC with an internal creative soundcard, also been listening through USB D/A converter amped with an ibasso headphone amplifier.
I have on the portable primarily been listening to 192-320 lame mp3 or wma compressed files. On my PC I usually listen to FLAC lossless files.

The Monster Turbine comes in a very impressive, classy and well designed box, making them look like a much more expensive item. The build quality is as impressive as well. The Monsters metal housing has a sturdy, solid and smooth looking design and build. The build quality is in general much better than any of the earphones I'm comparing them with. It has been mentioned that the cable looks a little weak, but I have encountered no problems so far.

The supplied eartips works very well for me. I usually use medium sized eartips, but with the Turbines I get a decent fit with the small ones.
The same type of Shure eartips(small) fits me slightly better.
The large triple flange tips gives a great seal and isolation, but not as comfortable over an extended period of time.

Soundwise I will characterize the Monster Turbines as an bassy type of earphone, but also with very decent presentation of mid and higher frequencies.
The bass is in a total different league than any of the lower and mid budget earphones I'm referring to. It's definetely not bloated, muddy or over dominating the mid and higs, but the bass has great quality. It's very well defined with a nice airy and punchy sound that sounds great with electronica or rock type of music, where you may want to hear the lower frequencies being emphazised and presented in a dynamic and powerful way. It's a diffent quality of bass that you can hear with for instance the Audeo PFE or Q-Jays where the bass tends to have a more lean sound.

The mid frequencies are well presented in the Turbines. Many bass oriented earhones (basically any earphone below $100) lacks a decent mid representation or almost have none at all, but with the Turbines the voices of for instance Dina Krall or Joni Mitchell sounds very forward, natural and clear. This is something where I experienced that the Turbines really benefitted from the long time burn-in before they adjusted to this level.

The higher frequencies benefits from a burn-in time as well. The higs sounds clean and undistorted, maybe not as detailed as the PFE, IM716 or Q-Jays, but more pleasent to listen to if you are listening for a longer period of time.

The soundstage of the Turbines in width and depth is much better than most of the lower and mid budget earphones I have mentioned. It's pretty much close to the Audeo PFE, that I reckon has the widest soundstage of the ones I have heard.

The Monster Turbine is a very fun and enjoyable sounding earphone. The sound and build quailty is in any aspect way above any cheaper $15-70 earphone I have heard so far, so is it worth the price 2-4 times as much? I believe they are.
Comparing the Turbines to a pricely evenly match earphone like the Phonak Audeo, which today is regarded as one of the better earphones on the marked and by many regarded very close to high end earphones like Shure 530 or Sennheiser IE8. The Turbines may not be a detailed or accurate as the Phonak PFE, but I would say that enjoy both evenly for different reasons since they complement each other well. The details, tonal balance and soundstage of the Audeo PFE are prefered for some type of music or time of day.. The Monster Turbine with it's wonderful deep, punchy and subwoofer like bass and at the same time very smooth balanced mids and highs, is preferable for other types of music and moods.

If you enjoy the sound signature I been trying to describe and also listen to some of music I have mentioned, you won't be disapointed listening to the turbines. Defenitely a step up from budget earphones to a pleasent entry level of a Hi Fi(End) experience for your ears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sound on the go, January 22, 2009
Length:: 1:51 Mins

I'm a gardener by profession, so I listen to my MP3 player a LOT. I love that I can get concert-quality sound out in the field and while being active. The no-tangle wires actually work and save me a lot of hassle. I'm very glad I got them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Minster Turbine Best in ear speakers at this price point., February 12, 2009
Ken (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
1. Tell us about your experience opening the Turbine box.
When I first received the Fedex package and opened the box I was stunned by the high quality packaging that Monster used to package the Monster Turbine In ear Speakers. It reminded me of the high quality packaging that I get when I open a lot of the Apple products that I own.

What are your impressions of the packaging and presentation?
When I opened up the box it was perfect the Monster Turbine in ear speakers were displayed like a fine piece of Jewelry. The magnetic clasps on the side of the box showed the high attention to detail that you put into every part of the packaging. I really liked the statement on the inside of the box from the Head Monster "Life is too short to listen to bad headphones". This is such a true statement that after people take the time to listen to these in ear speakers they will begin to appreciate how music is meant to be heard.

2. Describe the music you used to compare Turbines and your own headphones
In order to compare the Monster Turbine in ear speakers vs. my Ultimate Ears LE headphones I listened to a variety of different music. I began my test by listening to some of my favorite hard rock bands like Metallica, Disturbed, Trapt, Papa Roach, and Motley Crue. Then I wanted to hear how female vocals sounded so I went to Marion Rave, Pink and Hillary Duff. To really test the quality of the speakers I even listened to some Trans Siberian Orchestra and Metallica when they played with the San Francisco Symphony.

3. Tell us about the music sources you used (portable player, laptop computer, etc.) and how well they each worked with Turbines.

To do my testing I used both 3G IPhone as well as my IPod. I tested the speakers at first with a flat eq and then retested the speakers tweaking the eq for the different types of music I was listening to. Both device worked great with the Monster Turbines, the Monster Turbines really showed me how much I was missing in regards to the music quality.

4. Turbine Bass:

Does it remind you of having a subwoofer?
The Monster Turbine's definitely remind me of having a nice sealed subwoofer in my house or car. The bass is accurate and not muddy like most in ear headphones.

How low does it go?
I ran two different tests to see how low these speakers would go. My first test was a sweep that went from 10000 Hz to 1 Hz. On this test I lost the bass a 40 Hz which did not make much sense to me since I knew I listen to some music that went below that. I then ran another test that went from 10 Hz to 300 HZ and I heard the bass down as low as 20 Hz. Both test used a frequency sweep.

Describe the bass "punch"
All I can say is wow! The Turbines were very tight and accurate. I really love tight bass like you get from a well built sealed enclosure and the Turbines did not disappoint in any which way at all. When I listened to the various music I tested the speakers with the punch of the bass was amazing. You could hear the kick drum loud and clear with no distortion.

5. Do Turbines performance fulfill the claim of "In-Ear Speakers?"
The answer to this is yes without a doubt. I live music and have listened to many different headphones over the years and most disappoint. When I listen to the Turbines that sound so good, the imaging is amazing, the frequency range is excellent and the accuracy it unbelievable. The head monster should be very proud of creating such a great speaker.

Do they sound like a full range, full size speaker?
Again the answer is yes, I have two systems that I listen to most of my music on. The first system is a Dynaudio system in my car which everyone knows is the best it can get as far a car system. The Turbines remind me of the warmth that I acquire from my Dynaudio speakers. Everything from the highs, mid bass and bass are clear and accurate. The second system that I have in my house is a 6.1 Klipsch system and I have to say the Monster Turbines are more accurate and provide more warmth for the music that I listen to then the Klipsch speakers do.

6. Describe the clarity and detail of the instruments.
The Turbines bring out every bit of detail; I can clearly hear the hitting of every different drum especially the cymbals. The plucking of the strings on a guitar sound amazing.

7. Describe the "attack" and dynamics of the instruments.

8. Describe how Turbines reproduce vocals.
The vocals that the Turbines produce is so warm and clear that I can really hear how an artist is suppose to sound.

9. Describe the sound at low volumes.
At low volume the sound is still clear and accurate; you even keep a good amount of bass that you would not hear with most headphones.

10. Describe the dynamics of the sound at high volumes.

As you raise the volume on these in ear speakers, the dynamics of the speakers continue to improve at no point during my listening experience did the speakers distort.

11. Describe how Turbines allow you to hear details in your music that you never heard before.
The Monster Turbines bring out all the little details that you normally do not hear when you listen to headphones and even full size speakers some times. When you listen to music with the Turbines you hear all the hard work that is put into the music and all the detail that goes into making the music that we all love.

12. Describe how turbines work for watching movies, especially those with powerful music soundtracks and sound effects.
The detail that you can hear is absolutely amazing. I watched the Italian Job and you could hear every click of the safe to every roar of the engines load and clear. The sound was crisp and clear just like being at the movie theater and on some points of the movie even better than being at the movie theater.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow... Just took them out of the box and the left side is already broken., March 2, 2012
I'm pretty mad right now actually, I should have listened to some of the reviews here saying that these earphones are to delicate. Well, I just received the box, was pretty exited, opened them, thought wow, look at this fancy box, saw the earphones, wow, these look amazing, so many books and stuff. I put them on and surprise! the left side has NO sound. Great, tried moving around the plug on the device, nothing.
All I cay is, these earphones are all looks.
Like some people have said here, Life is to short to listen to delicate earphones, well, mine is, Life is to short to listen to broken earphones.

1.0 out of 5 stars High Priced, Not Worth it., January 27, 2010
Bought these headphones about 5 months ago. They actually sound pretty great, when they're not falling out of your ear or not isolating sound. After 2 months they went out, I sent them to monster, and got them replaced by a brand new pair. Which then lasted about 2 months, and went out again. I would expect this out of a $20 set, but 100+ dollars? Definitely not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry MONSTER - Life is too short to listen to FRAGILE headphones!, November 12, 2010
My first impression of a product by Monster was mediocre to say the least. I really tried to like them. Here is my opinion:
Sound Quality
There is no denying that the sound quality of these earphones is outstanding. I listen to Tiesto, NIN, Tool, Infected Mushroom as well as classical. All songs sound awesome and we call all agree on that.
Fashion
They look great color wise. The ear pieces also stand out with their metallic materials and fancy ear tips. However starting with the cord they look very ordinary and average at best. It's almost as if the designers cut corners with the cord and connector. The plastic divider also looks cheap for this kind of price.
Build Quality
This is where I had to send these back. Got these on Monday, tested them out and they were sent back by Wednesday. Again, the ear pierce itself is of superb quality (although some folks had problems them separating in two parts). Problems arise when you examine the cord connection to the driver. They feel VERY fragile and as if it will pop out just from dropping to the floor, which may be due to the weight of the ear pieces. I suspect that the cord is not connected to the actual part. The connector, being not an L shape, is destined to wear off if you are planning on wrapping the cord around your iPod. For this kind of exorbitant price, is it too much to ask for an L shaped connector? The cable is very sensitive and frail. I compared it to the earphones that you get with your Ipod and guess what? The cheap white Apple ones felt sturdier, much sturdier. This is a big investment so I decided not to gamble with these.
Ease of Use
On the public transportation, I had problems with the cable once again. It tangles or gets caught as I am moving my hands. Once you feel the yank of the cord while they are in your ears, you will know what I'm referring to. It's a freighting feeling. You can't really work out in these, the cord is very thin, if it gets caught into something, it may pop out of the earphone and there go your turbines. The best use that I can think of for these is while traveling. Quietly sitting on the plane or at the airport, store them in a neat little bag once you are finished with them. But that's about it, definitely not for everyday use.
So consider yourself warned. I went back to the same brand (Shure) and got the exact same ones that got stolen. Very small loss in sound quality but a giant leap forward in built quality. Sorry monster may be another day but for now listening to fragile earphones is not my idea of fun.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy these headphones, August 8, 2011
This is the second pair of monster turbine I got the first broke after only a month and I through I just got a lemon so I reorder the same but when the second pair broke after only 3 months I knew if was just poor quality. I contacted monster and got no response. Do yourself a favor and stay well away from these headphones and any monster product based on poor quality and non-existent customer service.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Monster product worth buying, and I actually paid for mine, July 4, 2009
Monster sent out many pairs of these earphones to applicants for free as review samples. I missed out on that, but as the reviews started rolling in, it seems many people really thought these were excellent sounding, even the picky users on the head-fi.org site. Could it be that these were really that good? So I decided to buy a pair to try. These earphone look good on paper, and appear well built.

These are Monster's own In Ear style monitors which use passive noise reduction to block outside sound. Basically they block noise like earplugs. Like many other IEMs, these come with an assortment of tip to ensure a comfortable but tight seal. A tight acoustical seal is necessary for it to sound right, and block out noise. It comes with dome rubber tips as well as two tri-flange "tree" type tips. I found the tri-flange tips worked best with the least effort of inserting them correctly.

You get a leather-like case with magnetic clasp, but the case is flawed in that there is a large gap in the side so lint and dirt can make its way into the case too easily. Too bad because it's one of the nicest storage cases I've seen bundled.

The body of the earphone is metal, with a turbine look that resembles the RCA connectors of other Monster audio/video cables. The cord has a coating/material which seems to resist tangling better than other thin cables of other earphones. Very nice job overall in the looks, apparent quality, and packaging of these earphones

Comfort:
The dome tips didn't work for me at all. I could not get a good seal without really taking a lot of time to insert the earphones, pushing them pretty deeply into my ear, which made it very hard to get out. The large tree style tip worked well with minimal effort and the body of the earphone sticks out more making them easier to remove. I used these tips only. It's fairly easy to change them out.

Sound:
Monster calls these full range in-ear speakers. And they aren't wrong. Deep is prominent, quite punchy, and it clearly doesn't start weakening until you get down to 30Hz which is indeed subwoofer territory. The quality of bass is quite clean surprisingly. There is a just slight bit of looseness to the bass occasionally at higher volumes, which sounds a bit sloppy sometimes, but overall, the bottom end is enjoyable. The midrange (vocal range) is pretty good, but takes a bit of a backseat to the bass presentation. This is a earphone more for pop instrumental rather than vocal listening. Female voices have decent body, but are a bit further back than with higher grade IEMs like the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi. The treble (highs) are also a bit more recessed. There is a moderate amount of detail, just enough sparkle that you can hear the mid-treble detail, but like the midrange, it tajes a backseat to the warm rich bass. I don't agree that these earphones are clear and detailed like a good electrostatic speaker despite Monster's claims, they remind me of a decent soft dome speaker, which smooth highs that don't fatigue. I think these are great earphones for on-the-go listening where you want a bottom heavy presentation and a warmer/thicker sound to balance out a noisy environment. These remind me more of full size headphones like HD650, or Shure SE530 IEM with just a bit less refinement throughout.

All in all, I like these and won't be returning them. I paid a bit more than half of the MSRP and I feel they are very good for that price. In this price range, I think I still prefer my good ol' Audio Technica ATH-CK7 which are about 33% cheaper, The CK7 is also fun but has better treble clarity and detail without giving much up in the bottom end (although they are very frustrating to fit into my ear)

Good job Monster, I never thought I would give 4 stars to Monster for a product from a company which based its business on selling cables that are overpriced, marketed using claims that can't be substantiated. But this is a solid product which shows Monster isn't just full of hot air...it now makes good sounding portable earphones that are actually worth paying good money for. I'd say these rate a solid 7/10 for sound quality, and 8/10 as an overall package (build quality, plus looks)

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SOUND, HORRIBLE QUALITY, AND EVEN WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE, December 17, 2010
I am a service member deployed to afghanistan. After i waited more than a month for the headphones to get here, i finally received them. The packaging was amazing. Makes the company look really professional. I opened the packaging a finally got to enjoy the amazing sound that these in ear speakers produce. Unfortunately, I only enjoyed that sound for about 3 days. The right in ear speaker started to short out. and after 6 or 7 or so days it is now completely gone. While the packaging was great and the sound was great too. It seems that they company spent all of there money on the packaging and advertising and forgot about durability and actual customer service. When i contacted the company this is the reponse that i recieved after explaining to them that i was deployed and dont really have a lot of ways to send things back and that it would probably take like a month to get it there and another month to get it back:

Well that is entirely up to you however we will give you a return authorization anyway

Please send your defective unit to:

Monster Cable Products
455 Valley Drive
Brisbane, CA 94005

Should you have any other questions please give Technical Support a call.

Michael Marshall [mmarshall@monstercable.com]
Customer Technical Support

MONSTER CABLE
455 Valley Drive
Brisbane, CA 94005
877 800 8989

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Customer Service I've Ever Experienced, December 23, 2011
Please understand, the one star I give this product is based mostly on Monster's customer service. I bought my pair of turbines on 12/20/10. They worked fine for 8 months, and then one of the speakers started cutting out. I sent them in 8/30/11 and finally received a replacement pair today, 12/23/11. It took them almost 4 months! During that 4 months I contacted them a number of times only to be told each time that it would be a couple of weeks till their stock replenishes, even though their website didn't mark them as "out of stock" as some of the other ear buds were. As I said, the 1 star is for the fact they broke, and their customer service is horrendous, other than that the speakers produce a nice sound. Just be wary that if you do buy a pair of turbines and they do break you may be without a pair for 4 months. Crossing my fingers my replacement ones don't break so I don't have to deal with them ever again.

Rate and Discover Movies