Monster iSport Strive In-Ear Headphones with Control Talk (Blue)
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$61.40 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 28, 2013
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
These are very good headphones for jogging with just a couple of negatives. Bottom line is we are buying a second pair for my wife.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 28, 2014
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging
First let me say that most people reviewing this DON'T get the point of these. You might be one of those people.

These headphones are great...If used for what they were designed for. I'll start with the sound. It is kinda flat, but using adapt a sound and the sound customizer(stock on phone) it brings it back nicely. NOTE the sound is supposed to be flat. If you read the box it says TO KEEP YOU IN TUNE WITH YOUR SURROUNDINGS! And it does that nicely. I don't like being drowned out of my surrounding noises, it's very dangerous. So while I'm running I can have LOUD CLEAR music with decent bass, WHILE listening to my footsteps going up the mountains or down them, it helps ME out a lot. Also I RIDE A MOTORCYCLE. These are the first headphones (I get a new pair every 3 months on avg.) I have owned that allow me to listen to my music clearly at full volume AND hear my engine and where the RPM'S drop, not to mention pathetic drivers. That alone is incredible and a HUGE plus for me. That's why there's little bass, they aren't designed for people sitting on a couch all day, get some beats by dre. for that(They are worthless under a helmet).
Now to the fit. I can pop them in quick but if you want to get the most out of them they do need to be wedged into the ear a bit, but once in there they don't budge and are not too uncomfortable. I use the small ear pieces for running and general usage, and I use the mediums for riding my bike. When I use the mediums with my helmet, they stay in place all day long( huge issue with 90% of other headphones I've had) just like the box suggests. Also I only rode helmetless once with them, they were not even budging at 50 mph but I bet they'd pop out at around 70-80 mph(wind drag really picks up around that speed). When I run with the small pieces same deal, not budging. I run mountain trails(my shizz) and on some parts I go through a bunch of 3-4 ft. drops, coming down a hella steep slope, at most people's running pace, and I don't even have to think about these at all..that's a lot of down force, some much that I constantly have to pull up my TIED running sweats.
Again, these are designed with features for a pretty specific market...Actual athletes...of all sorts...where having great bass isn't as important as an overall great sound and allowing ambient sound in. My main issue with headphones are the wires. They snap in about 3 months of daily use. These don't appear to be much better, but so far so good. I'll update once they do snap. Otherwise * * * * *

Also to correct another reviewer..The $30 difference between these and the next model up is more than a couple of buttons. The next model up has different features, the main one being the ambient sound these provide. So the next model up is more expensive because they drown out ambient sound and provide full sound quality, therefore they fit different, and have no mention of working well with helmets...again details athletes will appreciate.
on April 2, 2013
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
First off... Amazon is displaying an incorrect image of the product. The Monster iSport Strive does not include volume controls, only a single button play/pause/answer function. My guess is the photos are of a pre-production model. A look on the monster site shows the Strive and Intensity (next model up) have different control talk functions. The strive has Controltalk Universal and the Intensity has Apple Controltalk, the difference being the volume buttons. So if you want volume buttons you need to pay an extra $30.

As for the headphones themselves... They are perfect for what they are intended for, using them during jogging, working out, cycling, or basically anything that requires rapid movement. These headphones do not move out of place. Now if you are seeking quality audio, as I'm sure you expect from Monster, they definitely lack this feature. I'm in no way an audiophile, but while the sound is clear it lacks depth. Lower frequencies (Bass) are basically suppressed. I view these headphones as your typical old school ear buds with a fancy method of holding on to your ears in a non-obtrusive manner.

Basically, if you need workout headphones that will not come off, and you are willing to sacrifice audio quality (and don't mind spending the extra cash), go for it. If quality is important, go with one of the higher more expensive models. Or just get a cheaper set and deal with putting them back in every couple of minutes.

***UPDATE: Amazon has since updated the photos and is no longer showing it with the volume controls. Also customer service was great in handling this mistake.
on August 27, 2014
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging
I really like the "on ear / partial sound isolation" design which is comfortable, stays in place, and allows you to stay partially aware of your surroundings. I am not a big fan of the "in ear" headphones that block everything out but also amplify other noises like your own words or chewing, etc. I think the sound quality is pretty solid and full. I love nice sounding high end equipment, but am not knowledgeable enough to call myself a sound engineer or true audiophile, but for the price of these Strives, I think the sound quality is much better than I expected. They are crisp and clear and I hear details in the music that I don't recall hearing on my B&O system in the car or on my $12K sonus faber speakers in the house. I think they offer plenty of "low end" fullness for a pair of small headphones. They come with 3 sizes of fittings. I initially tried the mediums as those provided the "tightest" fit along with the most sound isolation and the fullest sound, but after a couple hours of listening, I realized that the medium fitting was giving me some ear soarness. When I switched to the small fitting, I initially thought they might be too small and almost thought they would fall out. But to my surprise, the small size worked best. They were easier to properly fit and place in my ear. There was no risk of them falling out without me intentionally taking them out, and there is no long term comfort issue any longer. The only very minor sacrifice is that the small fitting doesn't provide quite as complete of a "vacuum seal" so the sound isolation is just a slight bit less. But I actually like that as it gives me more awareness of my surroundings. I'd say these were a great investment and great value for the money. I would caution you to get the blue ones if you want the "Control Talk" function which allows you to pause/play, answer/hang-up, volume up/down from the cord rather than from the phone which is the problem with the black version that's quite a bit cheaper.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I decided to try out the iSport in-ear headphones from Monster because I always seem to have to re-adjust my earphones as I'm working. I wear them most often while I'm doing things like cutting the grass or otherwise working in the yard. Every other pair I've had, except a pair of Sennheisers that went over the ear, would work themselves loose. I find myself constantly pushing them back into my ears- especially as I get sweaty. Just the weight of the cord pulled my prior pair of Monster DNA's out of my ears. The iSport comes with three sets of SportClip (TM) adapters, small medium and large. Putting the iSport into your ear is a bit tricky and is different from any earphones I've used in the past. Getting the right sized adapter is probably more important on these than any as there is a piece that fits up into the curve above your ear canal and holds them in place. Initially, I wasn't thrilled about the fact they don't block outside sound as well as the earphones I have with full sound isolation. Monster describes these as "Isolation Factor:Partial". That is wise for people wearing them while doing things like biking or running on the road, but you compromise sound quality. They are however not so great for tasks like cutting the grass. I find that I have to turn the volume up pretty loud to hear the music and even then, during the quiet parts, it's inaudible. If you're looking for earphones that block outside noise, these are not the ones for you. Noise isolating earphones not only give you better sound quality, they allow you to listen to your music at lower volume, saving your hearing.

I once again have to complain about Monster's lack of documentation. Inside the from panel of the box (a nice box, as always from Monster), there is a nice diagram showing you how to put on the "SportClip" and how to insert the buds into your ears. However, the manual has nothing about the product itself. There's some legalese concerning the warranty, some information on the anatomy of the ear and warnings about hearing loss. It's not an owner's manual as far as I'm concerned. It's 80 pages of worthless, generic information repeated in several languages. The only thing customized about it for this product is the "iSport" on the cover.

This is the second pair of in-ear headphones I've had from Monster with Control Talk. Again, not a word on what Control Talk is or how to use it is included in the box. What I have figured out from experimentation is one click starts your music. Another click pauses it. A quick double click fasts forward to the next song. A triple click skips back one song. If you get a call, a click answers. Another click hangs up. On my iPhone 4S, a long click will launch Siri. If you want volume control, I think you have to buy the iPhone version (which then I guess doesn't work with Android devices, I'm not sure about that).

Sound quality is good, not the absolute best. These are not Monster's highest end in terms of price and the lack of full sound isolation means you're not going to get the absolute best quality. However, the snug fit is amazing. The SportClips seem to be sturdy and are easily removed to exchange or to wash. The box says "Sweat-proof and washable, with antimicrobial eartips". I'm pretty sure they meant the eartips are washable, not the headphones themselves.

The look and feel is great with a aqua color cord and tips and a shiny silver driver. I like the flat, non-tangle cord. Overall, I give them four stars, deducting one star for sound and for the lack of documentation either included in the box or on Monster's website.
review image
on June 2, 2014
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
A bit of background: I bought these headphones to replace my previous SkullCandy: they were great but were always dying after 6 months as I use them with my Galaxy S4 and the plug got wrecked. I bough first the Klipsch Image S4A to replace them, but the plug is already dying after less than a month and most likely they don't stay in my ear and keeps falling of.
So I started to look at sport headphones (as I bike everyday to work and like running). I found these Monster iSport and despise the money (except the Klipsch Image S4A, I've never paid more than $30 for earphones) I wanted to try them and I'm really happy with them:
- Great sound quality: you have to use them for a couple of hours before the sound quality gets optimal and be sure to place them correctly in your ears. That was my first sport type headphones and it took me about a week before placing them correctly quickly.
- they stay perfectly in your ears: they don't fall of. Them come with different size adapters. Wearing them for a really long time might start to get a bit uncomfortable thought.
- waterproof: and should I say washing machine proof. I accidentally left them in my shorts pocket while doing my laundry. I realized that too late and was sad to have them dead after 2 weeks. But they survived!
- not totally blocking the surrounding sounds: I now feel safer on my bike as I know I'll hear the cars and horns.
- tangle-free cable and curved plug: my Galaxy S4 is a large phone and the fact that it's not a straight plug will probably help them to survive even longer when wearing jeans with smaller pockets.

I don't really have a CON except maybe that them might feel a bit uncomfortable after a long time.

EDIT: The left speaker broke after two months. I got a refund from Amazon. I wanted to buy them again but the price went up ($70) on Amazon. I found new ones on eBay for $40. Unfortunately, after 1 month of use, the same problem occurred again. But Monster said the person/company I bought them from isn't an official dealer and won't replace/refund them. That's bulls***! I've the S/N and received them brand new. I'm gonna turn to another brand that respect his customers.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 4, 2014
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging
I am a runner and there were two primary things I was looking for: 1) Good sound quality (I wanted to hear the bass!), and 2) Comfortable, stable fit.

It took maybe 5 minutes to get the fit right with the right-sized bud they provide you with, but once I found the right size (small), they fit pretty comfortably.

The sound quality is actually pretty good, and meets my requirement to hear a bass... but for a price of $70, it's not up to the standard I expected. My old sports earphones (Sony) finally stopped working after about 5-6 years of use. I only paid $30 for them and for the price they had great sound and fit extremely well, not to mention they lasted FOREVER! These are about the same quality, but I paid $40 more. Kind of a letdown. That's why I give it 3 stars. Had these been $30 (or even $40!), I would have given it 5 out of 5 stars.
on February 24, 2014
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Great buy. Sounds is 9 out of 10. Fit is a solid 10. I highly recommend for Amby one that uses head phones for. Running
on March 18, 2014
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
love the quality of this headphones nice fitting and they dont come loose while working out or running Moster puts alot of effort on little details and having different sizes of tips a plus.
on January 3, 2015
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Great headphones for a great gift. Especially for someone who hated buds with those suction cup tips. Amazing sound too. Two thumbs up

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations