Format: Blu-ray|Change

on September 10, 2009
Before anyone starts saying this has not been released yet and there cannot be a review of the Bluray edition let me tell you this, this movie has been available in Japan and Mexico for quite some time now, and I was able to get a copy of the Mexican edition, which was at one time, identical to the one to be released in the US. It is a 3 disc edition (2 BD plus DVD copy of the movie), this has now been changed to a 4 disc set in the US to include the additional digital copy.

Disc one starts with an intro by director Pete Docter, in which he pretty much explains all the contents in this 'glorious' high definition version of the movie. A mini documentary on the 'Monsters, Inc: Ride & Go Seek ' ride in Disney Japan is also included. The highlight to me was the creators 'Round table' in which they talk about the process of creating the movie, some deleted scenes not included in prior DVD versions are shown here and they finally explained to me why is it so difficult to get a reservation at 'Harryhausen's' if all the staff from the scare floor seems to hang around there!

The Pixar shorts 'For the birds' and 'Mike's new car' (originally made on 4:3 format) are also included in HD format (as previously released in 'Pixar shorts)

The movie is presented in 1:85:1 aspect ratio. The word that comes to mind to describe how this looks is simply 'Beautiful', the colors, the textures, Sullivan's fur, the character's skin textures, Roz' sweater. Details pop up, colors are bright and clear. I had never noted that the real name of 'Boo' is actually in the movie until I saw it on Bluray!

The audio is another improvement of this BD edition. Presented in an uncompressed 5.1 track, the music by Randy Newman and the sound effects (check the audio in the door chamber sequence or every time 'Boo' laughs/cries and there is a power variation) sound just great. Spanish and French Dolby Digital tracks are also included. An audio commentary with the creators provides a lot of details of the movie, since I have watched this over and over with my 2 year old kid I have been able to play the commentary a couple times so he watches the movie and I learn about how it was made.

One thing I noted though, the end credits in the Bluray are not the same as in the DVD. The DVD will have the bloopers play while the credits roll, while the Bluray does not. Those 'Bloopers' though are included in disc 2 as additional features.

Disc 2 includes a feature called the 'Employee's manual' Additional spots created to promote the film are included too. Storyboards and drawings from the artists in HD as well as the '100 doors challenge', which is like a trivia game in which based on your responses you will be offered a position in Monsters Inc. Disc 3 as mentioned earlier, is a DVD copy of the movie (in the Mexican edition the 4:3 presentation is included, NOT widescreen) which is great as my kid can have that to watch it as many times as he desires.

Fans of the movie or any Pixar movie should not miss this!
44 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 18, 2016
Just a little more than two months ago I sat down at my keyboard and wrote
a review on Disney's Blu-ray release of Finding Nemo. I was filled with excitement,
as I raved about the remarkable job the animation team did with the film's 3D
translation. When all was said and done, I placed Finding Nemo at the top of the
list as the best animated upconversion that I had seen to date.

Now, I sit here again, filled with the same exhilaration, having just watched
the newly released 3D Blu-ray of Monsters, Inc. which I can completely assure
you benefits greatly by its new dimensionality added in post production.

The success of Pixar's 2001 release rests mostly on the charm of its voice
talents. The pairing of Billy Crystal (Wazowski) and John Goodman (Sulley)
provide some of the best comedic performances found in any Pixar film to
date. For those of you who still may not be familiar with the story, it concerns a
pair of specially-trained monsters WHO work 9 to 5 at the largest scream-processing
factory in Monstropolis. As they sneak into bedrooms, the screams of frightened
children are collected and used to power the Metropolis. Believed by Monsters
to be toxic, children are strictly forbidden from entering their world. As you would
expect, that is exactly what happens as a little girl named Boo (Mary Gibbs)
enters the factory, creating complete chaos. As Sulley and Wazowski try to
return Boo, they uncover a dangerous plot about to be set off by a multi-legged
chameleon-like lizard named Randall Boggs (Steve Buscemi), that could be
deadly to them all.

Monsters Inc. translates flawlessly to 3D Blu-ray, which amazes me because
often you'll hear skeptics talk about how wearing format eyewear diminishes
overall picture quality. Through my active shutter glasses, I was astonished
to find no such degradation. In fact, what I saw before me was strikingly perfect
imagery with its palette of rich colors and vast amount of textures that are really
pleasing to the eyes. There's just a wonderful array of vivid, neon-rainbow colors
to behold here. Black levels are fantastic. Even more astonishing is the level
of detail that only Blu-ray could provide. You can see every strand of fur
across Sully's Monstrous body, and with the added depth that 3D provides, it
appears to be more realistically soft and natural. This is another one of those
transfers that turns your display into a picture window where everything seems
so perfect inside that you could almost reach in and touch it. In a word, it's
breathtaking.

The 3D itself is quite excellent, opening this film up to an entirely new viewing
experience thanks to a noticeable amount of depth that makes each scene
look limitless in size. While there are no blatant gimmicks it's very cool to see
just how many body...err...monster parts protrude outwards. Take notice how
Randall Bogg's slinky lizard head pokes itself outside the boundaries of the display.
Check out the snakes in Celia's hairdo as they move in and out of the space
between film and viewer. I even enjoyed the opening title sequence with its many doors
that jettison outward when opened. And speaking of which....the most thrilling 3D
effects can be seen during the door vault sequence. If you have a subwoofer and
turn the sound up loud, you almost feel as if you are on a roller coaster ride as doors
race down a conveyor belt. The pure depth that is portrayed as you look to the bottom
of the vault is immensely impressive. I also loved the overhead shots of the CDA
swat team and all its helicopters converging on the city. This is the kind of perspective
you just cannot replicate in 2D.

And up to this point you haven't heard me complain about crosstalk. Well, that's because
there is absolutely no ghosting to be found here. That's a real thumbs up for this transfer.

While the 3D is impressive enough, nothing can prepare you for the explosive Dolby
TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack (downconverted to 5.1 on my system). I don't think I could write
anything about the acoustic experience and do it justice. Let me just say that I have
rarely been so sonically immersed in a film as I was here. There is such an unbelievable
level of effect placement and panning that are perfectly executed as if without any effort
attached. At any moment, you could expect sounds to emanate from different corners
of the room. At times, I heard helicopters encircling my head. Other times it was the
screams of frightened children. Every stomp, thump, drop, crash and pounce in this
film is heavily accented by powerful LFE that can be felt as well as heard. I talked
about how great the door vault sequence looks in 3D. Just wait until you crank your
system high and find yourself in the middle of the action as you feel the floor vibrate
beneath your seat cushion. Make no mistake about it -- this is reference quality audio
that will be the subject of conversation with your friends long after the credits roll.

...and when you are done assaulting your senses with Monsters, Inc., don't forget
to take a look at the included short, Partysaurus Rex. It stars the lovable Rex
dinosaur of Toy Story fame as he throws a party for discarded bathtub toys. I
found it a highly entertaining short, mostly thanks to its effective use of 3D, brilliant
neon colors and pumping techno track. Very worthwhile addition to this package.

The Ultimate Collector's Edition of Monsters, Inc. arrives as a 5-disc set. There
are single 2D and 3D feature film discs, a bonus Blu-ray disc with a wealth of extra
features, and separate DVD and Digital Copy Feature discs. The Blu-ray case is
sleeved with clever lenticular packaging that gives the effect of Wazowski and Sully
opening a bedroom closet door.

I continue to praise Disney for their efforts in bringing new life to their existing library
with 3D upconversions that are extremely well done. Monsters, Inc. looks more expansive
and feels more impactful and emotional than ever before thanks to the amount of depth
and realism this format is able to provide. If one could afford it, I would recommend
enthusiasts purchase every single 3D animated feature Disney has released to date.
However, if you could only afford to buy two, I would place Finding Nemo and Monsters, Inc.
at the top of the list (in that order).
on August 25, 2002
This is one of the best DVD's I've gotten to date. The movie itself is wonderful and includes the voice talents of Billy Crystal, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, John Ratzenberger, Jennifer Tilly, and James Coburn. As you probably already know the storyline, I'll just talk about DVD.
You get 2 discs- one contains the movie itself (with the "full screen" or "widescreen" versions, as well as a director's commentary option)and the second disc is chock full of goodies! You get "For the Birds" the 2001 Academy Award winner for Best Animated Short Film (shown in theaters before the movie), and "Mike's New Car" (exclusively created for the video and DVD release, as well as an exclusive sneak peek of "Finding Nemo", the newest upcoming release from Disney starring Ellen DeGeneres, Albert Brooks, and Willem Dafoe. Plus, if you choose the "Human Door" option, you get a tour of the Pixar animation studios by the makers of the film. They'll show you deleted scenes, 3-D location flyarounds, and animation gags and "inside" jokes. The "Monster World" door is where the real fun starts- train for your first day at Monster's Inc.; see the employee handbook, and play the "Boo's Door Game", which works like a CD rom-type game. Use your remote control to go through doors and find pieces of Boo's door that come together like a puzzle. The kids and I had tons of fun playing this together. Even our 4-month old son laughed heartily while rocking in his swing. Definitely a DVD for familes to own- worth every penny for the amount of material you get. Buy it, buy it, buy it now!
on April 10, 2016
Who doesn't love a good Monster Story? If you have children, you can seriously relate to "Monsters in the Closet". Both my children had that fear, and My niece (who is two (2) years old) has started in on her fear of it. I actually bought this movie so I could show Lexi (my niece) that there is NOTHING to be afraid of. Sounds silly right??? Well it worked! Lexi had a bad fear of Monsters, even the mention of one would throw her off. After a few times of watching this movie, we have since learned there are NO Monsters at Aunt Francine's house. There are NO Monsters hiding in the closets or under the bed. Like on the movie, we've explained that these awesome fury little things want to make us laugh, and have a good time. Because "Our" laughs are what keeps their city going. I know y'all probably think I've lost my mind by now, however I am telling you the truth. I had a plan when I purchased this movie and it worked. I would recommend this movie for children of all ages. It's not scary, seriously a very good wholesome family movie.
on May 14, 2014
Children and adults alike appreciate the role reversal - monsters who are actually afraid of children. The corporate set-up of the Monsters Inc. world is brilliant. The attention to detail is amazing...having Boo draw a picture of her monster, closeups of textures in the couch and her monster costume. The movie shows how learning about one another eliminates fear and invites cooperation. There are many doses of humor - slapstick, low brow and high brow, in order to appeal to a wide variety of audiences. I still love this movie after repeated viewings, and having it right on the computer is great for travel. Thanks for putting it on amazon prime!
VINE VOICEon June 12, 2016
Monsters Inc. brings back fond memories of watching the movie in Business Technology Concepts because of the technological aspects involved. On top of that, it’s a really cute story about a Monster with a heart who grows to question his role as a scary monster when Boo sneaks onto the scare floor. In its own way, it teaches a very useful message about daring to confront the things that scare us or we don’t understand. Further, there are elements of the seedy nature of the corporate America and what one might do to stay on top of the heap. That’s where these movies excel, in that they entertain the kids, but give the adults in the audience something to think about.
on June 7, 2011
Monsters, Inc. is Pixar's most funny film. The humor in this film is so clever, so refined that is one of the best comedies ever. The humor is not juvenile or full of pop culture references, is a broad humor that will appeal to children and adults alike. But, this movie is not only a comedy. Being a Pixar film, expect excellence in every area of the production. The story is awesome, the characters are endearing, the animation superb and the action sequences jaw-dropping. Is amazing how this was only Pixar's fourth film and they already were showing how good they are. Monsters. Inc. is an instant classic that will entertain you, move you and make you have a wonderful time.

Picture & Audio
Like with every Pixar film on BD, it's not surprinsing that Monsters, Inc. debuts on HD with a completely mesmerizing transfer. You will see every detail in crisp clarity and awe at the level of animation that this movie has. Some aliasing appears in Sulley's fur but I think is inherent to the source and shouldn't bother you. An amazing transfer through and through.

Likewise, the 5.1 DTS-HD MA is demo quality. it will envelop you with Randy Newman's amazing score and you will be literally transported to Monstropolis. An audio presentation that can't ger any better.

Bonus Features:

This is a 2-disc BD set that its full of chocked full goodies. You have everything from the 2-Disc CE DVD that includes hours upon hours of making of featurettes, trailers, two shorts, an audiocommentary, publicity and much much more. New to this BD is an excellent piece called "Filmmakers Round Table" where Peter Docter and crew sit down and reminiscence about the making of the film. Also you have a view of the new ride of MI in Tokyo and an interactive game.

A DVD copy is also offered.

Closing Thoughts:

Monsters, Inc. is another Pixar film that everyone should own. With impeccably comedic timing, superb animation and an excellent story, this is another proud addition to the Pixar catalogue and should be a proud addition to your library. This BD offers unmatched picture and sound and many hours of bonus material. Hurry and just buy it!!!
on March 18, 2015
Great Movie. Needed to replace our old version since it had some scratches and stopped playing. Love having the 3d. It shows well but, of course, action movies do really well on 3d. Its fun to do the 3d movies though with our son.
on May 22, 2014
I know this movie's been around for awhile, but we recently purchased it for my 2 year old son...and let me tell you, he absolutely loves it! Seriously what's not to love about Mike and Sully! Great movie that the adults get a great laugh out of, and something that keeps the kids attention.

Also check out Monsters University!
on February 16, 2016
One of the best Pixar movies.
Don't feel it needs a review its been so popular.
Great joy for us kids, and, oh yeah, your own kids too!

Sulley: Mike, this isn't Boo's door.
Mike: Boo? What's Boo?
Sulley: That's... what I decided to call her. Is there a problem?
Mike: Sulley, you're not supposed to name it. Once you name it, you start getting attached to it. Now put that thing back where it came from or so help me...