Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 10, 2007
Cornwall, New York Sixth Grader 3/7/07

I am a sixth grader. I think The Sea of Monsters is a great book. Percy Jackson returns in this story with new monsters, new surprises and a new camp director?! This exciting sequel to the Lightning Thief is with a plot and flow equivalent to that of the first. Who knew what could happen when a normal game of dodge ball turns into a struggle to survive? Percy is soon warned that Camp Half Blood is no longer safe for demigods. A crushing and devastating blow for Percy, who himself is a half blood. Someone has poisoned Thalia's tree and Chiron is the prime suspect. A quest must be taken up to retrieve the Golden Fleece!

Much to Percy's dismay he is not given the quest! Although he and Annabeth are forbidden to go this quest, they still go out into the mortal world to find the Fleece. Percy has been contacted in his dreams also by a person who is important to him. According to this person the Fleece is in the Sea of Monster. Unfortunately, that person is in the peril of death. He must now bring back the Fleece and save that person. Challenges await them though, so incredibly evil and ruthless...

Rick Riordan does a great job with this book. I like how the flow of the story fits in with the action theme. Riordan also pleases me with a splash of humor in this book. He also creates such great details on his characters that they come to life for me. Also, the spunk of Percy and his friends adds spark to the story. The creativity of the mixing of the Greek religion and modern day society produces an interesting blend. Whoever thought that Greeks were boring obviously never read this book. His creativity really makes this book shine. A two thumbs up book for any reader. I especially recommend this book for bookworms and fantasy readers, this book will really satisfy you.

Can Percy save the Golden Fleece and his friend? Will peace be restored to Camp Half Blood? Will Chiron be proved innocent?

EG
22 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Rick Riordan comes through again, and this follow up to The Lightning Thief is just as entertaining, informative and action-packed as the first book. This time Percy (son of Poseidon) is at school in New York when things start to go downhill fast, beginning with some bad dreams about his friend Grover the satyr, followed by an attack by cannibalistic dodge ball players.

When Annabeth (daughter of Athena) arrives on the scene with more bad news, Percy has to embark on another quest, this time unsanctioned, to save Camp Half-Blood, which is vulnerable to attack since its defenses have been breached. He also has to save Grover, who's found himself in an inter-species entanglement in which he doesn't quite see eyes to eye with his suitor.

Accompanying them is Percy's class mate Tyson, a street kid who counts Percy as his only friend, but who is much, much more than he seems. The three travel to the treacherous Sea of Monsters in the face of insurmountable odds to capture the Golden Fleece, which hopefully can counteract the poison and restore the magical protection of the Camp.

Steeped in Greek mythology, yet written for young readers, this one is highly recommended for developing the imagination with its combination of thrilling adventure and legend.

Amanda Richards, June 25, 2006
33 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2006
The gods of old keep having kids. Hephaestus, Ares, Apollo, Hermes, Dionysus, Athena, Aphrodite, Hera, Artemis (who, technically is a virgin and doesn`t have any kids), Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon all have children roaming the earth, stirring up the order of things and trying to keep humans from destroying themselves. These demigods, or half bloods, congregate in a camp in New York called Half-Blood Hill, where the activities are run by Chiron (the trainer of Hercules) and Mr. D, the infamous Dionysus, who is serving a sentence of sobriety for chasing after the wrong wood nymph.

The thing is that three of these gods should not be siring any more children. Since the debacle of World War II Hades, Zeus, and Poseidon have sworn an oath on the river Styx that they would not father any more children, seeing as how their children are infinitely more powerful than the other gods. All but one has broken this oath, and one of the offspring to be born from Poseidon's dalliance is Percy Jackson (Perseus).

Percy, known to many reader's from the first book "The Lightning Thief" is adjusting to the fact that he is the son of Poseidon, the Sea God. His Mother has sent him to a progressive school for troubled kids, Meriweather College Prep. Here he has befriended the school's charity case for the year, an overgrown teenager who happens to be homeless, named Tyson. Tyson has gotten Percy into many scrapes this year because of his sensitivity, his brute force, and his ability to break down into convulsive sobbing. Everything is going fine until a game of dodge ball one gym class turns into a fight for their lives as Percy and Tyson realize they are up against a race of cannibals called the Laistrygonians, and they are saved by none other than Annabeth, daughter of Athena and friend of Percy's from Half-Blood Hill. She takes them to the camp where all Hades has broken loose.

For one thing the protective barrier of the camp is weakening thanks to a the Pine tree of Thalia. Thalia is the daughter of Zeus, a half blood who some years before had been changed into the tree to protect the others from certain demise. Now the tree has been poisoned and the activities director, Chiron, has been fired because of this. In his place is a starving man named Tantalus who sees Percy as nothing more than a puffed up brat. Even when Percy reveals that he has been having dreams of his satyr friend Grover and how his quest has led him into a perilous place, the Sea of Monsters, Tantalus does nothing to help Percy save him. In fact when it is revealed that the legendary Golden Fleece is on the same island as Grover Tantalus assigns Clarisse to quest for it before Percy. It is believed that the retrieval of the Golden Fleece will save the camp, but Percy is more concerned that his friend Grover may end up as a meal for the cyclops, Polyphemus, and wants to rescue him. Together with Annabeth, Tyson, and some aid of the gods the three set off into the unknown, and learn a few new secrets along the way.

This is a fantastic sequel to "The Lightning Thief". Percy Jackson is simply the fantasy character to watch in the next few years. This book has everything in it one can wish for. The characters are deep and flawed, the quest is compelling, the drama oozes on every page. I found that this was a compulsively readable book, one that I had a difficult time putting down in the three days it took me to read it. I marveled at the introduction of Tyson, because he is such a sweet and sympathetic character, and the connection between him and Percy is just a great touch. The mythos surrounding Thalia heats up in this book too, and I am aghast at the role she will seem to play in the following books. Even the emergence of Luke as a villain is perfect, as he is the ideal character to have as a rival, and Kronos is a nemesis to be feared in the future. My biggest gripe is that the cliffhangers, the introductions of new characters (and the implications of said characters and prophecies surrounding them) will make it very difficult for me to wait for the next book to be published... this is, for all accounts, my "Harry Potter" series that I would wait in line at midnight for. I am on pins and needles to see what Riordan dreams up next for Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
on December 21, 2006
Fiction it is full of surprises, adventures and every thing that is pleasurable to read. That's why I would advise reading the book, The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan. This book is the sequel to the first book, The Lightning Thief (I would suggest reading that first). The Sea of Monsters is about a boy named Percy Jackson, who is the son of the Greek God Poseidon (God of the Sea). Percy is always being attacked by killer Greek monsters such as the Minotaur. He has to go on an adventure to the Sea of Monsters (the Bermuda Triangle) with his two best friends from Camp Half-Blood Hill Annabeth and Grover, and save his camp from being destroyed.

This book is the best book I've ever read in my life mainly because I love to read fiction books exactly like this. The Sea of Monsters is like a roller coaster you never know what's next. I would suggest this book to anybody in the world to read this book but if you just hate fiction, books do not read this. I would give the book five thumbs up if I had that many any were any time, or any place. If you are looking for a book with action, adventure, and surprises then you should totally get The Sea of Monsters.
on March 13, 2011
I liked the first book. Its a solid 3 and a half stars. This one not so much, simple things like him getting wet, in the first book he never got wet just came out of water dry. It mentioned him holding his breath, in the first book ue could breath under water. If your going to write a series make some things stay the same pay attention to the small details and they would be so much better.
on July 5, 2014
This is probably the only series that can bring adventure, emotion, suspense at every corner, and still be totally funny. It's rare that I laugh while reading books, but this one managed to make me crack up.
All the things that happen, such as the tyson thing, and intense battles with Greek monsters made me wanna lay down in my bed and read all day long. And there is never a calm moment where everything seems to be dragging on, like Percy is a normal kid, that everything's perfect again. Once it seems like a happy ending, another action scene comes in and pulls you back in.
I like how they put stuff that happened in mythology, such as Polyphemus and his sworn enemy, Nobody, (long story) and turn it into a bit of fiction, sort of like a continuation.
on March 23, 2016
I gave the sea of monsters percy Jackson book 2 four stars I really enjoyed this book after having read the first book and got some really good insightful knowledge about the gods of Olympus and percy Jackson struggle through being a half blood son of Poseidon and a hero in training it was really good I like Percy friend Grover who kept percy on the right path and I love how close Annabeth and percy are getting to each other I know they will end up together it had a great start and ending though middle of the story is where I had to drop a star it was pretty obvious what the golden fleece was going to do after seeing the title chapter the golden fleece worked a little to well I knew it was spoil alert bring Zeus daughter back to her human form and I can't say I enjoyed not learning more about the gods I mean is Zeus the most powerful and why shouldn't they have kids why
I recommend to anyone who read the first and enjoyed it and for me my young sister put me on the books so if anyone is recommended to read the series why not it's a good story not only for kids but for anyone
on April 15, 2016
Do you ever read about a character that everything they do makes you want to grab them and shake them and tell them to knock it off? Yeah, there a couple of people like that in this book and they will get under your skin. Other than that this book is fantastic.

In true Jason and the Argonauts form Percy, Annabeth, and a new camper named Tyson set off on an adventure into the sea of monsters where we see many of the same monsters and villains that Jason and Odysseus met on their adventures.

Very fun story and a great continuation from The Lightning Thief.
on July 31, 2014
I want to thank Gael Foley for recommending this series. As a middle school teacher I have to applaud Rick Riordan for bringing mythology of the gods to life for young readers and adults alike, and for emphasizing the importance of Latin as a subject worth pursuing. It is a shame that Latin has been dropped from the curricula of so many schools. I find myself using my high school Latin almost daily as an avid reader! I never had the opportunity to take Greek, though often wish I had, especially during the 4 years I spent in Russia being that Russian and ancient Greek have commonalities. I think it might have contributed to my ability to learn Russian, at which I struggled mightily! My husband is quite dyslexic and ADHD, can't spell to save his life, and like most so afflicted is very intelligent and excellent at kinesthetic subjects such as artistic and mechanical creativity. I can so relate to Percy and Annabeth through his frustrations with written language, and I know many young people can, too, through their own experiences. Many of our greatest, most creative geniuses throughout history would fail our current school system and the way that system fails these special minds is unconscionable.

Kudos to Mr. Riordan for creating believable heroes and heroines who can help our ADHD/dyslexic young people realize they aren't stupid but are people who see the world in a different way than others and are valuable to our society because of their so-called "learning disabilities". They are in fact some of our greatest minds because of their abilities and creativity that "normal" people lack providing they don't allow the word-oriented school system to convince them that they are dumb or without value. I also appreciate his challenging vocabulary without it being so difficult that young readers would give up while mixing it up with current common lingo. Great series! Can't wait to start the next book!
on April 13, 2007
The sea of monsters is a wondrful fantasy book that I would recommend to all ages. The book starts out with a kid named Percy Jackson having a horribe dream about his friend Grover. It turns out that the dreams are real. Grover is trapped on the sea of monsters. Percy has to save his friend Grover with his friends Annebeth and Tyson. The next thing you know there are at camp half blood. They are having a chariot race and people are almost being killed by demon posed pigeons. They almost drowned in a war ship because of the monsters of the sea. Tyson disapered on the war ship and was never found. But do the kids have enough time to save Grover and Tyson. Or will Grover be divowerd by a cyclops.

Percy Jackson is a ver determined 13 year old boy. He and his two friends Annebeth and Tyson are very strong.. He is also a very good fighter and cares alot about his friends. Percy and annebeth like each other but they wont admit it. All the kids are determined to retrive the golden cloth from the cyclops. Grover is about to be married to the evil cyclops as well. Grover is a syter and cyclp love to eat syters. But the cyclops is blind and he cant tell that Grover is a Syter and he is a boy. Who will they sae first?

You should read this book because it is one of the best book I have ever read. Trust me if I say a book is good its got to be good