Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on October 15, 2013
Disney. Wow.
If you see the movie before buying this soundtrack, I'm guessing that you are primarily buying it for the song that everyone else is also looking for - the song that was featured numerous times throughout the picture and leading into the end credits as well... Well, guess what - it's not here. I was surprised. By far the best song on the soundtrack; however, it was not composed by Randy Newman (Disney's monopolized writer for most of their modern cartoons). So because of this, it was not on the soundtrack.

To get this song, you must instead purchase the album Rise Up by the marching band group called March Fourth. The song is called "Gospel". I guess since they aren't under Disney's corporate gun, they don't get the credit of being on the official soundtrack. Shame, Disney. Anyway, do yourself a favor and get that album instead of this one - because it has the best song on it.
66 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon June 21, 2013
I guess I'm gonna have to be the first "three star" review posted here for this "Original Score" of the new Disney/Pixar "Monsters University" film which actually opens today (so I can't discuss the film). Note that is is not the "soundtrack" but the "Original Score" composed and conducted by Randy Newman. Let me say that I'm a HUGE Randy Newman fan, going back to his original vocal recordings. I've enjoyed his film scores since "Ragtime" too and liked "Monsters Inc." But this one "just okay" (that's what 3 stars on Amazon means. He's done better work, and I've heard more interesting scores from films.
Maybe it's because Newman wrote only one "song" (you know, with lyrics) and that is the closing track sung by the "school chorus". And this will certainly not win Newman any Oscar noms this year. About 2/3 of the way through the 55-minute CD we get the only non-Newman track - the electronic-beat "Roar" by two members of the techno-pop band Swedish House Mafia. It's a throwaway - at least for me - and totally out of character for the rest of the CD.

The 6 page booklet is mostly color photos with one page of credits (in tiny light blue typeface) and a "Track List" (without timings). Nowhere does it even give a plot summary.

As I said, I haven't seen the film yet and, maybe it would be a good souvenir of watching the film after you have seen it. But as a stand alone CD, unless you are a Newman score completest, there are better ones (try the original Monsters Inc) out there. At least in my opinion.

I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.

Steve Ramm
"Anything Phonographic"
VINE VOICEon June 21, 2013
The musical compositions on this score are great. My favorite piece is the composition entitled "The Scare Games". This piece celebrates the spirit and excitement of competition the scare games. I love the drums and overall musical arrangement of this six minute piece. "Monsters University" is the only music with vocals. This is a great college fight song. It is performed by what sounds like a choir of singers. Randy Newman makes feel a sense of pride for an animated university I love the piece "Wasted Potential". It features soothing piano playing. "Scare Pig" is a fast paced piece with a rock edge. "Rise and Shine" is definitely a piece that will get out of bed. I am going to put this piece on my Ipod. It will help me get up in the morning. "Sulley" is a piece with a carefree easy going tone. This forty-eight second piece really embodies the character of Sulley. The brief accordion playing on the piece entitled "Oozma Kappa" lifts my spirit and make me feel good."Roar" is the only musical contribution from someone other than Randy Newman. It is a dance track from a band called Swedish House Mafia. This piece has a pulsating up tempo beat that I really like. "Field Trip" is a piece that captures the peril that can be experienced in a field trip. This piece makes me feel tense and excited. Mike and Sulley is a warm hearted piece that captures the friendship between Mike and Sulley. I love this musical score from Randy Newman very much.
on June 20, 2013
I had high expectations for this soundtrack, given the quality of Randy Newman's scores for the Toy Story films, A Bug's Life and this film's predecessor. Gladly, I can say that Randy Newman once again met them handily, and that while there is no showstopper like "You've Got A Friend In Me" or "If I Didn't Have You" present here, this score stands up well alongside Newman's other efforts for Pixar. The quality of composition on display here is top-notch, and each tune quickly and masterfully establishes the mood of the scene it will presumably accompany. There is a refreshing variety of paces and styles here, and abundant flourishes from brass fanfares to drumline-style percussion serve to remind that this score accompanies a college film. These and some interesting instrumental experimentation make this score stand out from the others the composer has created for Pixar--the overall sound, though, is unquestionably Randy Newman's.

This is a tremendous score, and I imagine it will both accompany and elevate Monsters University very well. It won't revolutionize your thinking about film scores and some tracks are better for listening apart from the film than others--however, if you're a fan of Randy Newman, Pixar tunes or simply well-crafted music, this album won't disappoint.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon December 10, 2013
My 10 year old loved this movie, and I habitually get him the soundtracks from the movies he likes. So I had to get this.

The downside here is that it's almost all instrumental. I love the Rise and Shine track, ever since the first time I saw the movie, but most of the songs are just the thematic portions of the movie, so for my son they don't hold much interest. But he does love the Monsters University alma mater song.

I wish there was just a little more "song" and a little less "instrumental" in this.
on May 26, 2014
It is a great little soundtrack and really has a "band" feel. Well that might be partly because it does use a drum corps for a portion of the music, but it really does feel like a "college" band and it matches the tone of the movie incredibly well.
on July 31, 2013
I have always been a big fan of movie scores/soundtracks and Randy Newman ranks pretty highly among the composers I'll buy a CD of. Right next to John Williams and Michael Giacchino. And with Monsters University, Mr. Newman has made another solid score.

Most of the 20 tracks on this CD are typical Newman and have fair replay potential. But for me the tracks that stand out are No. 13 "Roar" which I must have missed in the film, but is a great modern dance track. The others are No. 20 - Monsters University which is a wonderful choral performance of a school song and No. 1 - Main Title which got me hooked right off as I was seeing a full college marching band (with drum line) made up of monsters. The only quibble I have, is this track is too short. Another minute or two wouldn't hurt.

Overall, if you are a fan of movie music, add this one to your collection.
on November 12, 2014
What a complete waste that the BEST song, played MULTIPLE times in the movie, is NOT on the SOUNDTRACK? Extremely disappointing! I don't care how good the other songs are, how many accolades the composer has, without the BEST song on the CD the soundtrack is INCOMPLETE and otherwise USELESS!
Randy Newman is one of Pixar's go-to composers, having done the scores for the Toy Story trilogy and Monsters Inc. With his latest score for Monsters University, Newman has once again delivered a memorable soundtrack.

Monsters University is a prequel of sorts to Monsters, Inc. In this film, we get to go back in time and see the main characters, Mike and Sulley, during their college days. Newman's score is wonderful, from the Main Theme to the Monsters University anthem, the whole things flows nicely. The music really places you into that college environment - particularly when the drums are used it reminds you of a university marching band. As with all Pixar soundtracks, this one is a lot of fun to listen to and is mostly upbeat and pleasant.

There is one additional track on the album not composed by Newman: Track 13, titled 'Roar' (by Axwell and Sebastian Ingrosso), accompanies the film's party scene and its a welcome addition to the sountrack.

FAVORITE TRACKS
[1] Main Title
[3] First Day at MU
[18] Goodbyes
on August 10, 2013
I agree with the other 3-star review of this score. The music is great, however, this was purchased for my Pixar loving 5-year-old by his Grandma and it failed to capture his attention like the other Newman/Pixar/Disney scores.