4.0 out of 5 stars Great Versatile Commuter/Mountain Bike
Published on June 1, 2010 by R. Tauber

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea.
Published on March 4, 2007 by A. Oster

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea., March 4, 2007
A. Oster (somewhere between Seattle and fairy...) - See all my reviews
I bought this direct from a dealer for $400, and it was worth it. The components were crap though. I've put about 400 miles on it in the last two years. On the first day of riding I broke one gear, but they sent me a whole new back wheel super fast. Overall I have replaced the crankset and stem. I also added a suspension seatpost and their folding pedals. Over all I am very happy with the frame, but the components were not so good. If you can score a frame go for it. However, $700 for this is a tad high. Though I can fit it in my del sol's trunk and still have room for stuff is amazing. I'm also dissapointed in how much tuning has been required. It seemes to have issues shifting with each ride. Most shops have never seen one, so its hard to get good service. Be sure to find the local shop/service dealer in your area. Don't bother with the bag, but snag the folding pedals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Versatile Commuter/Mountain Bike, June 1, 2010
This review is from: Montague Paratrooper Mountain Folding Bike, Matte Cammy Green (Misc.)
I purchased my Paratrooper a year ago (May 2009) as I wanted a full size folding bike that I could not only ride anywhere, but take anywhere. I've put well over 1,000 miles on it with no significant problems. I've ridden on pavement, double wide track and recently put it to the test on a fairly tough single track trail at Kettle Moraine WI. I'm 6'1" and weigh 220 lbs and the bike handles everytyhing I throw at it. The frame is bulletproof, the components are good (not great but everything I'd expect at this price point)and aftermarket parts are no problem. I've upgraded my handle bars (40mm rise Carbon Fiber) and clipless pedals. My local bike shop has no issues at all working on the bike.

Two recommendations: If you use it mainly as a commuter, purchase street tires for a much smoother and faster ride on pavement. The knobby's it comes with are for offroad.

Be careful ordering aftermarket parts as Montague changes their specs without notice. I checked the web site when I ordered my replacement bars and the spec was stated at 31.8mm dia. As it turns out, that is the current spec.. since mine was a year old, I had 25.4mm bars. My only choice was to either buy a new stem so the new bard would fit or exchange the bars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Investment, March 1, 2007
If you are a serious mountain biker, this is the biker for you...Won't break not matter how hard you ride it...I have been in the rockies, in cali, and now in europe, plus the fact it folds, thats a space saver, this has many miles, it is just as good as the day I got it...great investment!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, Rugged Bike, April 30, 2012
Bought this to get around on a base in Afghanistan. No paved roads, lots of ruts, rocks, gravel, mud, and dirt. The package when it arrived looked pretty bad and I was worried that the bike would be broken or ruined. Not a chance. Took off the packaging materials, unfolded the bike, and put on the front tire. Ready to ride. All the gears worked flawlessly. It is a very sturdy bike. It is quite believable that the frame can carry five hundred pounds, although one wonders it the tires would carry such a load. So far it has sat outside in dust storms, thunderstorms, and been ridden in the mud, rain, dry powdery dirt through ruts, bumps, large rocks and gravel and aside from wiping it off once or twice has had no maintenance and worked flawlessly. The only thing I wish is that the handle bar stem was adjustable in height. Have ordered the adjustable stem for it. The local Army guys lust after it since it is olive drab and looks macho military.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for commute/casual riding, November 30, 2009
I'm not a hardcore cyclist but I like to ride to work sometimes and do some single track mountain biking when the weather's right. I saw a fellow camper with this bike in Yosemite a few years ago and tried it out. I really liked the feel of it as a full frame mountain bike -- and was sold with the idea of it folding up to fit in the back of my rather compact car.

When I finally purchased it I replaced my old Mongoose Sycamore. I thought I would sacrifice something by getting this folder, but after getting used to the odd (but good!) appearance, and learning to trust the mono-boom design, it really proved itself. For trails I use the stock knobby tires it came with and for the commute, I use a set of Serfas Drifter City/Hybrid Wire Bead Bicycle Tire (AWESOME). Have not had a flat yet in the nearly two years I've had it.

In all a 5 star -- really no other comparable alternative out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars great folding bike, September 26, 2013
Ordering a bike online.....Of course I did read a lot of reviews to make sure this bike was worth it.1st you need to make sure which frame size you require. You should surf online for size information.

PROS : - it folds easily, making it easy to carry and store. It is great because you can put it in your car or in your office.
- it weights about 30lbs( I found it to be lighter than my other mountain bike, a Giant Rainier)
- the bike is very sturdy

CONS : the handlebar is kind of low, making for an akward position while on the bike. The weight is too focused on the front of the bike, meaning the velocity is reduced because there is too much weight put on the suspension. I did not find a way to set the handlebar higher.

This is a great bike and it's not heavy at all. Some people complained the bike needs to be customized, but what were you expecting? You have to adjust the break handles so they are at the right angle with your fingers, you have to tigher a few nuts , put oil on the chain and make sure you got the proper air pressure in the tires. Nothing major. It is basic mechanics and anybody could do it. You would have to do the exact same things with a bike purchased from a store. So far my only complain is the handlebar height.

UPDATE : I bought a stem raiser via Amazon and installed it. The handlebar is now higher, making for a more comfortable and safer ride. It took me 5 minutes to install and it cost about 20$. There is no problem with the cables being too short unlike other users have commented. I'm quite happy with the bike. Montague offers a stem raiser on Amazon, but that's not the one I got. I'll be posting pictures shortly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, tough bike, January 15, 2012
GG Gawain (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
Basically the bike is really tight and strong on the trail and handles well. The disc brakes are great and stop my 230 pounds easily. I carry a full day pack on my patrols as a park ranger and the bike is so quiet, I come right up on bobcats and coyotes in the park. I like to see wildlife and people before I'm seen by them, so the OD Green serves me well. The shifters below the handles are a little hard to push because they are unnaturally placed, and there should be boots on the shocks to protect from dust, but other than this, it's a fine bike and worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great mountain bike for the price!, September 14, 2007
After much research I decided to buy this bike based on 2 important factors for me - 1) I wanted, and needed, a bike that could fold up
and be placed in my little Scion X-B.
2) I wanted a bike fairly inexpensive but strong for
the money. If the U.S. Army and the Marines use this
bike it's got to be pretty strong!

Trust me, you won't be dissapointed with this bike. How many people can say their bike can fold up in 30 seconds? And if you're worried about structural integrity the fact that our military uses this says something. You can bring this thing on a plane even!

I'm gonna give a shout out to the guys at Civilian Lab for offering this awesome bike for $51 less than the competition. If you order from them you should get your bike in about 3-5 days. I got mine in 3! All I did was take it out of the box, put the seat post in, put one of the pedals on and it was totally ready to ride!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of machinery!, September 21, 2013
I have put the Paratrooper through very challenging paces, and it has proven to be everything I hoped it would be.
First, "foldability". I bought the bike because it was the only quality 26" bike that would fit into my airplane. I own a 2-seat Van's RV-7 that I built, and wanted to be able to have transportation at the ready no matter where I fly in. Turns out the bike fits easily into the back of the RV-7, and leaves ample room for other items.
Second, functionalilty. I road tested the bike at home on streets and single-track mountain biking trails and found it to work great. On Montague's advice, I put on a pair of hybrid tires (Performance Bike's Forte Gothams) for paved road use, and gave those a workout on road and track. Again, total success. For the acid test, I flew to Colorado Springs and biked to and from Manitou Springs where I hiked up the Incline. Perfect performance on roads. The next day, I flew to Telluride and rode the bike on the unpaved part of Last Dollar Road. The bike dealt perfectly with the rough road, even wearing the Gothams. The next test involved putting the stock knobbies back on and riding 45 miles on Glacier National Park's Inside North Fork Road. This is a very rough road indeed, but again, the bike trooped right along. For the final test, I put the Gothams back on and rode from Apgar campground to Logan Pass. This is a 30 mile one-way trip, 16 of which are a continuous uphill to 6,647 feet. The climb exhausted me, but the bike just chugged along as if it were no big deal. On the way down from Logan Pass I passed a number of motorcycles and cars that were observing the 35 mph speed limit on the downhill. Not a wobble, and the brakes were perfect. I felt completely safe.
When I got home, I took the bike out of the RV-7 and stuck it in the back of my 2008 Mini Cooper hardtop, together with all the other gear I had brought on the trip. There was room to spare inside the Mini!
I've had the Paratrooper for 4 months and it has given me a higher level of satisfaction than I even hoped for. The design concept is rock solid, you can dismantle and fold it up in less than 1 minute, it fits inside the back of a Mini Cooper - a small space indeed, it looks great, and doesn't cost any more than a comparable hardtail mountain bike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Folding Bike, October 29, 2010
Excellent bike. Neatly fits in my trunk. The ride is awesome. Recommend it for anyone who is on the go and needs time during the day to get out for a quick ride during long breaks at shifts at work.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›