Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2007 11:15:07 PM PST
BLAUGRANA says:
Looks and sounds like a great game. I was very excited when I first saw a box for it in the store the other day. Then I came to find out there was going to be a monthly subscription fee to play online. Sorry, but no thanks. I will continue to balk at any game that charges a fee to play others online. I'm not cheap or poor. It's the principle. You already paid for the game and you already pay for internet access. Another fee just to play the game online? Ridiculous.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2007 10:04:25 AM PST
Carpe Tao says:
I used to say the same thing. Your fee goes for de-bugging and added content. MMOs usually patch every 1-2 months and add content. It's like free minor expansion packs. Only huge additions of content get sold separately. When you buy a game, it's a flat product that will get one debugging patch at best these days. MMOs get added to pretty regularly. In the end, though, its really the format you are paying for. If you're not into cooperative MMO style play, you have no reason to buy and subscribe.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2007 12:16:54 PM PST
And don't forget that it costs money to run and maintain the servers the games are on. Plus having help available 24/7 requires paying people. In a dynamic game which requires constant attention there needs to be some compensation for the company. Also, it's about $45 for 3 months. That's about the price of a new game. So, if you pay the game a lot (and you can easily play MMORPGs for years without needing other games) it's about the equivalent of buying a new game every three months.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2007 11:54:34 AM PST
The games you subscribe to have weekly (if not more frequent) updates. They add content, fix bugs, and tweak gameplay. If you consider yourself a gamer and haven't tried an MMORPG you should give it a try.

Think of it like cable tv, a magazine subscriptions or any of the other various things you pay a monthly fee for. It is entertainment that is constantly evolving and changing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2007 5:23:27 AM PST
rockntrumpet says:
Have we forgotten about a little success known as Guild Wars? I would love to play this game but as much as I am a fan of the LOTR universe I will not pay a monthly fee. The Guild Wars model has worked beautifully and they update all the time. Plus they have in game events that coincide with real world events like christmas, halloween, valentines day, chinese new year. If it worked for Guild Wars I don't see why it can't work for this too.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2007 9:59:55 AM PST
G. Serra says:
I have to say I do not agree with you (Carpe Tao). The best example of all is Guild Wars. They proved that MMORPGs can be as good as the other top RPGs online, besides they reached the game of the year category. Guild Wars is a beautiful game that delivers constant entertainment to their gamers, the trick was to release campaigns once or twice a year, and they do not force you to buy them because they are just stand alone campaigns, not expansions, If you are focused into PvP, then is highly recommend to buy those campaigns to keep up-to-date as PvP world in Guild Wars is a common place, not only in the whole server, but in the whole world.

PvE is great also, that's what I like of Guild Wars, you can choose PvP or PvE and still enjoy the game. The GUI of Guild Wars is the best of its class. Since Guild Wars was out, I will NEVER pay a monthly fee to any online game, EVER.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2007 5:16:12 AM PST
Considering the price that you pay for most MMOs today ($14.95 a month) the prices that are being given on the LOTR are great. The prices they are offering is either $9.95 a month or $199.95 for a lifetime subscription. This is by far the best offer I have seen for an MMO in years. I know that Guild Wars may be free to play but in my personal opinion it got old before you even got to level 20.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2007 7:42:38 PM PDT
BLAUGRANA says:
I still don't get the fee per month. I have LOTR Battle for Middle Earth 2 and that's free. Totally different game, but it's great and it's powered by Gamespy and I just had to buy the game. Anyway, I just think these companies are trying to take advantage and make as much as they can. More power to them, but I won't buy into it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2007 5:58:29 AM PDT
I have BfMEII as well and it is very different. I've been playing the beta of LotRO though for a while and it's just fun. It's my first MMO, so I'm not one to really matter much voice wise, but as a fan of Tolkien, the content and land and history are important. I too spoke out against fee based games for years and in fact still find it a little repulsive, but I've been waiting for this game since before Sierra lost the license to make it years ago. I'll just do a little extra side work for the $200 and get the lifetime subscription and forget about it.

I will say that still having to pay for the physical game itself is kind of insulting. They should at least charge a lot less than the standard going price for modern games, especially since you can't play this while offline and sitting in a recliner at the beach.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2007 6:10:14 PM PDT
M. Hatlestad says:
Well, I dare you to do something- play open beta for a month. Trust me, I thought that the monthly fee was bad at the beginning. But I stayed because it was a great sounding game and I made a few friends in it. Then I played the game. WOW. I was addicted really quickly. This is designed so you can play it 2 hours a day or MORE and never run out of content to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2007 7:30:57 AM PDT
S. Reed says:
Thanks but no thanks. I've passed up Everquest, WoW, and now I'll be passing up this one because of the fee. I would be buying the game at full price for a game that I can normally play offline, but in this case, if I want to play it, I have to pay. The Guild Wars model seems to have worked for them, at least they didn't go bankrupt doing it and are likely making a profit since it's still around today.

So despite the fact that I really enjoy the books by JRR Tolkein and the movies (except, of course, the cartoon movies :P) I will have to pass on this and any other MMO in the same format.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2007 3:12:58 PM PDT
K. Matysiak says:
I've played Everquest, WoW, and now I'll be trying out this LOTR online game. IMO people who pass up on these games simply because of the monthly fee are either too cheap to pay 10-15$ a month, are teenagers who have no jobs and rely on their parents to fund their gaming pleasures, or they just completely fail at life because they don't understand what it takes to keep and MMO up and running. Guild Wars may be a decent game, but I've seen it in action and it in no way compares to WoW or what Everquest was and still is today. The graphics aren't even comparable and the content you receive in Guild Wars is sub par at best. People who expect to buy an MMORPG and simply pay the retail price and be done with it are naive to what it takes to keep the game running and keep it GOOD on a weekly or monthly basis. How do you think WoW has become the single most played MMORPG ever? By selling their retail game and doing nothing about it? You won't get the same service or game play from a game if you expect to pay for it one time. It takes too much effort on the developers part to keep the game going.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2007 6:25:56 PM PDT
I use to think the same thing... Xbox Live subscription, etc... I've been playing the LOTRO beta as well for the last 2 months... I would gladly give up a can or two of soda a week to play this... Everyone seems to look at it as a big cost... Figure out how much a month Snacks, soda, etc is costing you...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2007 10:04:02 PM PDT
S. Klein says:
You pay for "the game" to cover development costs, no problem. You pay the "subscription fee" to play it online on servers with little lag, that are consistently available, and that are moderated for quality. Guild Wars was free because the updates never did anything. The content never changed. Major bugs were fixed, but that was it. I'll admit that there is a business side to it that uses the fee to make more money, but that's an incentive for them to keep improving and make more and better games. Plus, the fee weeds out people who don't really want to play and people who shouldn't be playing. It'd be nice if it were free, but it's not.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2007 5:52:48 AM PDT
It's true Subscription fee its stressing...you feel like you are giving money away...and if you calculate how much they earn MONTHLY, well...too much money...but i've played Guild Wars, Everquest, WoW and LOTRO and....well if the game isnt based on a subscription fee, forget about a GOOD game. IMO you cant compare playing offline or playing online. You get more addicted and have more fun playing online man!... IMO WoW is the best game...with the expansion now, gets better. I played LOTRO and for me, its not worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2007 7:51:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2007 7:52:45 AM PDT
Guild Wars is an amazing game, but none of you understand the dynamics of MMORPG compared to that CMORPG. All the subscription based games are persistent worlds. Things change in the game over time. You will see other players everywhere. It requires updates, bandwidth, great servers, and people to maintain a persistent world. Guild Wars got away with no fees because it was instanced. GW2 will be a more persistent world and ANET has stated they will still go with the no monthly fee business model. The real test will be how GW2 is maintained as a persistent world compared to all the subscription based games, and even then, comparing GW to any MMO is no comparision. GW devs have always stated it is not an MMO.

I will gladly pay a small monthly fee to keep the game upgraded, running smothly, and to get the devs to listen to the player base for improvements. GW tended to not put as many, or as fast, new features in the game that the players want. If you love PvP, don't have great cash flow, or your system is a little behind the times, GW is a perfect game. If you want more, better updates, your concerns listened too, and a more immersive world, subscription based MMOs are the way to go. If you want to be in on the newest, or are a LOTR fan, this is a great game.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2007 8:39:52 PM PDT
Pedo says:
Why do you pay a subscription to play ONE game? The profit margin is too great. $15 is too much for that. I'll reserve it for the supergeek to get wrapped up in it and pay $260 for the lifetime membership and the special edition game. That's the fee you pay if you want to replace your actual life with some online thing. I think there's too much in real life to replace with online video games that consume you. This game's format and fees are for the hardcore fella who prefers to live on a computer.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2007 7:39:28 PM PDT
Druarc says:
$10 a month isn't exactly a lot of money, what's the cost of a couple of new movie releases? Even if you only play a few hours a week your still getting value for money.

As to GW I've tried it several times and it just isn't MMO or fun IMHO, the base game just hasn't changed either. Where as all your big MMO's have add new content to the starter area's of their games.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2007 5:02:09 PM PDT
David Smith says:
the reason you should be willing to pay a monthly fee is because they actually keep ADDING a lot of stuff to games like WoW. they constantly release patches and add quests etc. etc. if you buy a single player game, obviously they release a few patches to fix stuff, but they're not going to add stuff to it - unless they make an expansion pack, and you have to pay for that. so the monthly fee seems pretty fair to me if they're continually working on it. i play call of duty 2 online, and they have made NO improvements to that multiplayer game, NONE at all, whereas the number of changes made to WoW is unbelievable.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2007 8:30:34 AM PDT
Games like Diablo, etc, had patches and additional content, as well as very slow, plodding (per usual Blizzard) bug fixes. Additional content makes it nice, but monthly service fees really are a cash cow, not simply covering expenses.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2007 8:09:19 PM PST
BLAUGRANA says:
So what are the fees for this game these days? Any price changes or deals?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2009 10:39:27 AM PST
Sirlaughalot says:
Although Guild Wars updates "all the time", these are usually bug fixes. If you want additional content you have to buy the expansion packs...These add up over time especially when you have a mad rush to buy it as soon as it comes out...at the price of a regular game.

I used to say that I'll never pay for a monthly subscription to a game so I picked up Guild Wars and enjoyed it but it was not worth my money for another 3 expansion packs just to keep up with the new skills other people have.

It is possible to pay less than $15/month with most MMOs...if you buy the 2,3 or 6 month subscriptions where you can go as low as $12/month with major games. When you think about it that's about 1.5-2 hours of work at minimum wage in most states each month... Going towards servers, bug fixes, additional content, special events, moderators, fixing broken parts of the game, AND the user feedback helps shape the game, profit.

Posted on Feb 22, 2009 4:01:34 AM PST
captainfreak says:
It is now $10 a month if you purchase 3 months. Essentially you are getting a month free everytime you pay. I am not sure if that perk came with just purchasing the Moria expansion before the release date, (placing it on hold). I do not thinkthat is the case though because my brother gets the same deal. This fee, or even full price of $15 per month is beyond worth it! This game is the future of MMORPG! The only thing you are accomplishing by taking a stand against paying for playing the game is cheating yourself out of one of the finest online games you will ever see! Your not hurting the industry at all, your not hurting any of us who enjoy the game, becasue you will probably just get in our way! Soyeah I think youmade the right decision to stay away..LMAO

Posted on Nov 19, 2009 1:19:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2009 1:26:09 AM PST
I am such a big LOTR fan that I couldn't resist but buy the new compilation with Angmar and Moria special edition after playing the 10 day free trial. However in all truth I am thinking I made a mistake. I am a working man with a wife a kid. I don't get time much to play this kind of thing. Am I right in my undersatnding that if I play a monthly fee it will still be the same whether I pay for 1 hour a month or 40 hours? I haven't activated it yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2010 4:52:57 PM PDT
Mark says:
sirlaughalot should be named sirlaughable guild wars is 24.99 for all three expansions with no extra fees .. much cheaper then wow subsription of even 12.99 for 3 mos as he describes. My advice is play a game such as guildwars for 24.99 for all three expansions and have a subscription for life. and play 1 pay mmo a mo. for example 1 ps3 game cost u 59.99 if u play that 6 mos id be shocked. mmo's are cheap to play for 30 days usually u can get a good 1 for 20.00 or less and that will include 30 days free. so u can try a few and find 1 u really enjoy. if sirlaughalot can't afford 25.00 he probably shouldnt be playing....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  23
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 20, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Lord Of The Rings: Shadows Of Angmar - PC
The Lord Of The Rings: Shadows Of Angmar - PC by Midway (Windows XP)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (115)