5.0 out of 5 stars No, No, That's All Wrong!
Shakespeare knew it, and parents and other adults know it: People love a comedy of errors. Perhaps the most delighted audience is the youngest; toddlers love hearing mistakes and correcting them. It's a surefire hit for their certain sense of humor, and Sandra Boynton exploits this beautifully in this small board book.

Just a few set-up lines and Boynton is...
Published on May 23, 2005 by M. Allen Greenbaum

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Best Boynton Book
We bought this book because our daughter loved "Red Hat Blue Hat" which is also written by Sandra Boynton. Unfortunately, this book was not as fun to read. It is still a good read for 8 months-2 years, but not even on the same level of "Red Hat Blue Hat."
Published 13 months ago by J. Hartung

5.0 out of 5 stars No, No, That's All Wrong!, May 23, 2005
This review is from: Moo Baa La La La (Board book)

Just a few set-up lines and Boynton is ready for the book's main joke:

"A cow says MOO."

"A sheep says BAA."

"Three singing pigs say LA LA LA!"

"'No, no!' you say, 'that isn't right.

The pigs say OINK all day and night.'"

Practice your dramatic abilities and really ham it up (pun intended) when you read the singing pigs and "that isn't right" lines on pages 3 and 4. There's also some action (dogs chasing cats), and a nice quizzical conclusion: ("It's quiet now. What do you [underlined] say?")

Boynton's familiar style is whimsical and slightly tongue-in-cheek. Her animals have very expressive, human-looking emotions, conveyed mostly through the eyes. For example, a quacking duck and a neighing horse aren't intrinsically very interesting, but when they're facing each other with similarly baffled faces, there's a subtle humor. The singing pigs, by the way, are anything but subtle. They're pizzazed out in coordinating striped pants, solid sports coats, and elegant white bow ties. They excited pigs dance in unison and hold canes in a showy vaudeville style. For a short and simple board book aimed at the very young, this is lots of fun. For older toddlers, take a look at Boynton's counting book with a difference: "Hippos Go Berserk!" She knows and loves her animals, and so will your little one.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a book you MUST have!, April 7, 2000
K. Agee (Mt. Juliet, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moo Baa La La La (Board book)
We got this book for our 4 year old daughter when she was 2, and it became her all-time favorite book. It helped her to increase her speech by saying fun things. We then introduced it to our 2nd daughter when she was 20 months old, and she also adores this book and it is the one she always gets every night and says "book" to have it read. We only say the first part of each page (i.e., "The pigs say...") and she always finishes the second part (i.e., "LaLaLa"). This is an absolute must have along with "But Not The Hippopotamus" by Boynton. These are GREAT gifts for baby showers or 1st birthdays.If you are considering ordering this - Go ahead and do it now! You WON'T be sorry that you did!

5.0 out of 5 stars If I had to choose one single book it would be this one!, August 23, 1998
This review is from: Moo Baa La La La (Board book)
I am an American, first-time Mom, living overseas and am building a collection of kid's books, in English, for my 7 1/2 month old son. By chance, while on a trip to NY when my son was only 5 months old, I purchased this book. As sort of joke I immediately began reading this and other books to him thinking he was too young to respond. Boy was I surprised! If he even sees the cover from afar he grunts for me to read it to him! As soon as I finish he continues this over & over again! There are other books that he enjoys (Goonight Moon,Time to Sleep, Chicka Chicka ABC), however, none compare to his love for Moo Bah LaLaLa! As soon as those 3 words come out of my mouth he quiets. I am absolutely amazed and recommend this title to all new parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is SO great!, February 29, 2004
"heymargi" (Santa Barbara, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moo Baa La La La (Board book)
When I was pregnant this was the first baby gift I received. I read it to myself (in my adult, monotone voice)and thought, "What the?"
Well, after my baby arrived I read it to her and now, 2 years later, I still read it to her and she says the words with me with the greatest animation a 2 year old can give. It is a very funny book to a small child and in turn becomes a funny book for the parent watching them get so much pleasure out of it. I recommend this one to anyone with a child under two. In fact, if I could only have 1 book for my child in her first 2 years, this would be it hands down! La..la..laaaa!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lesson on how to teach animal sounds, August 23, 2001
Lanna Lucky "momoftwo" (Parker, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moo Baa La La La (Board book)
I couldn't believe my son's daycare provider when she told me that this was his absolute favorite book. When I bought it for him, I thought it would just be another fun one to read. But, this book really, REALLY teaches kids the sounds animals make. My son wasn't really saying a whole lot of words yet, but when I would read this book, all I would have to say was the first part of the sentence "The cow says..." and he would entusiastically say "MOOOOOOOO". It is now to the point where I don't even need the book. I just say "The sheep says...", and he will say "BAAAA". This is such a cool tool to use to teach animal sounds to little toddlers. I highly recommend it to any parent whose child is just beginning to speak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moo, Baa, LA LA LA, September 1, 2000
This review is from: Moo Baa La La La (Board book)
My daughter is 3 years old now and still loves this book. We received it as a baby shower gift. During some of the long nights when we first got home, I would read her this book because I enjoyed it so much. The rest of the family - even the 2 teenagers - enjoyed reading it also. It quickly became the favorite and the "Moo book" is read every night. The book is falling apart - due to an unexpected trip into the bathtub one night :) - and we try not to use it too much so we just recite it from memory. I'm buying 5 copies for friends that are having babies and a couple more for me. I want to put one away for my daughter to have for her kids some day and "grandma and grandpa" will need one too! Buy it -- you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Both My Daughters Love This Book!, November 14, 2000
This review is from: Moo Baa La La La (Board book)
This is a great book! I originally checked it out of the library for my older daughter when she was a baby, but wound up buying it because she liked it so much. We eventually acquired another copy, and both are well-worn. My older daughter is now almost 5, and she reads the book to her 15-month-old sister. If we ask my younger daughter what the cow says, she can tell us, "Moo!" and so on. One day she picked up a diaper with a picture of pigs on the tab, and when I asked her what they were, she answered, "La la!" This is one to read over and over!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to learn animal sounds, September 8, 1999
This review is from: Moo Baa La La La (Board book)
My 15-month old daughter knows all her animal sounds, thanks to this book. I first saw it at her daycare, and bought it for her when she was 7-months old. This book was quite the favorite, and before she was a year old, she was making the appropriate sounds, shaking her head, "No, no..." at the, "Three singing pigs go la-la-la," and whispering at the last page, "It's quiet now, what do *you* say?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Oink?, August 10, 2002
This review is from: Moo Baa La La La (Board book)
Oh my, the cow and sheep seem to have it right...but what about the pigs? This divinely witty animal-sounds book had my own babies in stitches when they were almost too young to look at the pictures.
The rhythmic cadence of the words (always a grabber for the very young), the simple wording, the silliness that can be enhanced by mom or dad's tone of voice when reading aloud, and most of all, the use of the word "you," bringing the child into the story, combine to make a treasure of a book.
Oh...did I mention Sandra Boynton's incredibly endearing pictures of animals? Rendered in bright, beautiful colors on sturdy, indestructible pages, they are worth the price of the book. I'll bet you anything you sneak one more look long after night-night.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son could "read" every word before he was one!, April 6, 1997
This review is from: Moo Baa La La La (Board book)
A terrific engaging book for any child, young or old!
My 2-year old loves it, and my 7 month old loves it!
My Tripp and Luke have begun to develop a sense of humor--realizing that "three singing pigs" could simply not say la la la!
While at the zoo's farm exhibit--our 2-year old said, "mom, these pig's can't say la la la! " We all laughed. We use this book as a night time quiet time book--because of the ending--"it's quiet now, what do you say?"
We have begun using this line as an invitation to talk about our day, what we've learned, and the mistakes we made.
It has become very engaging for our 2-year old to feel free to say what is on his mind

Moo Baa La La La
Moo Baa La La La by Sandra Boynton (Board book - November 30, 1982)
$5.99 $3.76