Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Board book|Change

on May 21, 2011
Great repetition and you learn the names of animals, their babies, what sound they make, colors, and numbers! My four year old still enjoys reading this book, we desperately need another copy because ours is falling to pieces! (We've had it for four plus years though)
on February 1, 2005
My daughter is 7 months old, and this has been her favorite book for at least 2 months. She immediately smiles and laughs when I begin reading the story to her every night (because we do read it _every_ night!). Several people have commented on the colors of the illustrations being too monochromatic, but I think that is part of the appeal. Some of her other books have very busy illustrations and I think are too much for her to take in. But the large blocks of color in Moo Moo Brown Cow are easy for her to focus on and she loves it. I would highly recommend this book!
on December 20, 2011
It's not an original idea: a children's book written in lyrical text containing both counting and animals.

And yet, this one just works better than most I've read. My one-year old will sit on my lap for an entire reading and ask for it again. The watercolor-type illustrations are soft but quite detailed, so the small child can notice new things even after multiple readings. With the exception of the tenth animal (the fish), the author does not ask you to count each and every animal. Instead each page simply states how many baby animals there are, which leaves it up to the child/parent to decide how much counting to do (counting can be laborious to some children and delightful to others). The overall theme is uplifting: a celebration of friendship, even elevating friendship to the level of family. The book reads similarly to "Brown Bear" by Eric Carle (another must-have for a baby's library).
on August 28, 2013
This book is perfect for introducing very young children to different animals. Each page a "kitty" asks an animal if she has any offspring (in much simpler works of course), to which each animal responds "yes kitty! yes kitty!" and replies with the number off chicks, puppies or what not. Our little one laughs with glee when we get this book out.
Jakki Wood, <strong>Moo Moo, Brown Cow</strong> (Red Wagon Books, 1991)

Cute counting book for the pre-reader set with a couple of odd choices in both illustration (oddly, the cat doesn't show up in a couple of pictures) and animal choice (no real way to illustrate the final page without leaving out some of the other animals). However, I don't think the pre-reader set is going to notice either, and truthfully, most parents probably won't, either. *** ½
on December 26, 2009
Since "Moo Moo, Brown Cow" is more or less a counting book, the clarity of the illustrations is very important. I think the artist's style makes it difficult for a small child to count the animals, especially on the pages with the piglets and the small fry. The colors are subdued and the animals are not distinctly depicted. My two-year old, who loves counting, is also not so interested in this book. If this were a different kind of story-book, the illustration might be very charming.

Despite the illustrations, the concept is simple and appealing: Kitty goes from mommy-animal to mommy-animal and asks how many babies each has. Each answers, the first animal having one baby, the second having two, etc. up to ten. With each animal the child also learns the correct term for the offspring.

If you are looking specifically for a counting book, I don't think this is a good choice. Otherwise, it definitely has its appeal as simple animal story for young toddlers.
on December 11, 2001
My daughter was attracted to this book at 6 months and it continues to be her favorite book (now at 12 months). If I ask her to bring me a book, it's always this one. To me it seems to be the repetition of the similar phrases along with the colors and images that attracts her to it. It's hard, thick pages has stood up to her mauling and chewing on it.
I wouldn't use it as a learning tool as the illustrations, while colorful (great at 6 months) are hard to use as a counting tool and the animals while recognizable, aren't distinctive (ie. Goose and Duck are pretty much the same exect for color).
As a tool to keep her occupied and watch her grin ear-to-ear as we turn the pages together, it's outstanding!!
on April 8, 1998
This book captured the attention of my 4 year old right away. It was because the concept is simple yet brilliant combination of rhyme, baby animals, color, numbers which all young children adore.The only problem with the book is the color of the illustrastions. For example the white duck was yellow. Sometimes you can barely make out the baby animals because the foreground and background colors were very close. But my son LOVES it.
on April 16, 1999
My son four and my daughter two love this book. The colours are a bit off, eg the white duck is yellow, the red dog has a orange hue to it and the nine small fries are blurry making it hard for 2-4 year olds to count. I've changed the word white duck to yellow duck (using a sticker)because my son is beginning to read. My son has this book completly memorized just like brown bear, brown bear and is very proud he read it.
on December 5, 2008
I've had to purchase a replacement copy of this book. It was so well loved by our first three children that when number four took an interest in it, the spine literally fell apart. The repetitive, predictable text is part of the appeal. I have enjoyed watching each of my non-readers share the story with their next-younger sibling. Moo Moo, Brown Cow is a classic in our house!