Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mookie: Life, Baseball, and the '86 Mets
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 29, 2014
Simply outstanding book providing insightful glimpses behind the scenes into the life of an amazing man named William Hayward "Mookie" Wilson. Erik Sherman is a highly talented writer who is able to bring another remarkable story to life through his gift of the pen. Whether a Mets fan or not.....you will be inspired by the words that leap from this page to stir your imagination about the possibilities of life. Mookie and the '86 Mets....the rest of the story! Thank you, Mr. Sherman.....well done, Sir! -- A fan of yours in Hawaii
on September 22, 2014
It was nice to relive the 1986 Mets Season again and Mookie is a good writer. I got to get the inside story on many things and appreciate the energy of a man that is impressive on or off the field. Being a Met fan one can not expect too much in the way of being super great and Mookie is one of those people you have to be a Met fan to truly love and think as being a superstar.
on July 26, 2015
I remember in 1986 when Mookie hit the slow roller up the first base line that rolled under Bill Buckner's glove to win game 6 of the World Series, but that is only part of who Mookie Wilson is. I am glad t hat he has found his calling and went into the ministry even though he would have liked to had a job in the Mets organization, at least he realizes that is not what he is supposed to be doing with his life. I have read other books about the 86 Series and because I was a Mets fan and watched the games, it brings back teenage memories of their championship, however Mookie's take on it is somewhat different because he was a platoon player at the time, but he was in the game at the right time in order to get the Series changing hit.
on June 7, 2014
Mookie Wilson is my alltime favorite Met. I remember his hard playing and hustle and his all out love for the game. What I liked about this book is that I learned a lot more about Mookie. He is a first class person. He overcame a lot to attain his success. When has critical things to say about former teammates and management, he does so directly, and in a way that is not hateful or sensationalistic. Long-time Met fans will like this book, but I think even people who never saw him play will like it too. You will learn a lot about baseball and people.
on August 29, 2014
A rare sports biography that goes far beyond the numbers. In fact, the numbers play a secondary role to the honesty, insights and opinions of a wonderful, spiritual man who just happened to play baseball.
on May 6, 2014
I've been an insufferable Mets fan ever since I met Ed Kranepool at his and Ron Swoboda's restaurant, The Dugout, on Long Island. That was back in 1974 or so when I was 8 years old.

I had the great fortune of attending college in Boston at the time of the 1986 World Series and lived a short distance from Fenway Park. I was a groupie, hanging out at the Mets hotel (Sheraton at the Pru Center) and buying a scalped ticket for $100 to Game 5.

Most importantly, I would come to know know Erik Sherman, the book's co-author, while attending Emerson College. Erik was then and remains today one of the kindest and friendliest people you'd ever meet. And what struck me about the book was how Mookie and Erik seem to share these personality traits. How fitting that Mookie would have selected Erik to help him tell his story. So for me, this was also a "must read" on a personal level since I know Erik and am so proud of what he's accomplished.

As a Mets fan, I wanted to read this because so much had happened with that 1986 Mets team. Stories as fans we had heard about but never to the degree that Mookie had revealed in this book. Mookie really helped to not only fill the gaps in what we as fans had heard about that club, but also shed light on things we didn't know about, including Mookie's own unhappiness which he had kept to himself.

I thought the book was tastefully done and revealed first-hand what was going on behind the scenes. I was engaged and intrigued throughout. But moreover, I felt like I got to know this terrific human being, this man of faith--Mookie Wilson.
VINE VOICEon June 9, 2014
The sub-title of this book says it all: Almost everything one would want to know about this iconic baseball player, the sport which was the passion of his life, and the fabulous 1986 team that won it all. From the first pages: a terrific brief Forward by Keith Hernandez, continuing with an equally brief Preface by Mookie wherein he states, among other things: “It is my hope that this book is really going to let people know that I have a life outside of baseball and that I am more than just another pretty face,” followed in turn by a brief Introduction by his co-author, Erik Sherman, stating the incontrovertible fact that “Mookie Wilson is the most beloved Mets player in the history of the franchise,” the book goes on to make all of that abundantly clear, and tells us that the man is “an accomplished chef, a fisherman, a licensed securities trader, a soon-to-be ordained Christian minister, and a truck driver who goes by the nickname Night Rider.” The introduction includes the fact that Mookie “never forgot where he came from . . . growing up black and poor in the then racially divided South of the sixties and seventies.” His father was a hard-working sharecropper “who supported a family of fourteen on a $25 a week salary.”

The first chapter, appropriately, describes in detail the tenth inning of Game Six of the 1986 World Series, when that miraculous team came from behind to win the game and go on to the championship, propelled by the ten-pitch at bat that ended with the slow roller that went between the legs of Bill Buckner (called by some “the greatest single at-bat in World Series history,” and Mookie did “what I always did, which was run as hard as I could. That was the only way I knew how to play the game.” This chapter, and the ones in the ensuing pages describing other games, felt like listening to a play-by-play account, especially the 16-inning Game 6 of the NLCS in Houston (which Mookie describes as “The Greatest Game Ever Played”) that led to that wonderful World Series.

Mookie is never less than candid about his teammates, pulling no punches, at the same time unstinting in his praise for many of those supremely talented men with whom he played. As a devoted baseball fan since the days of the Brooklyn Dodgers, and an ardent Mets fan ever since that phenomenal season, and team, of 1986, I have often been asked who is my favorite Mets player. There is only one answer to that: It could only be Mookie Wilson. This is a terrific and heart-warming book, and it is highly recommended, for baseball fans and others alike, but especially for baseball fans.
on May 10, 2014
A great beginning with insight into 1986 game 6 Buckner error and all the other mistakes that lead up to it. The book picks up steam from there... has great flow and insight into the METS and many famous baseball personalities. Cold not put down...read in 2 days. Very honest & straightforward portrayal/biography. Great effort by author Erik Sherman and followup to his other books on Dodger Glenn Burke and Pirate Steve Blass.
on June 20, 2014
I am a life-long Mets fan, and big fan of baseball writers,e.g. Roger Angell; but I rarely read books by actual Players (except, of course, Jim Bouton). However this book did more than bring back great memories. Mookie Wilson honestly describes his life,fellow baseball players and provides interesting insights about how the game is played. And he is truly a very smart,great-hearted man.
on May 27, 2015
I'm a lifelong Mets fan and was in high school in the 1980s when Mookie was with the team, so I have great memories of him and the of course the 1986 team. The book is very well written and provdes a lot of great background on Mookie and the Mets teams of that era.