5.0 out of 5 stars A great first words board book featuring Moomintroll
Published on June 2, 2011 by Homa Woodrum

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh.
Published 1 month ago by treocyn

5.0 out of 5 stars A great first words board book featuring Moomintroll, June 2, 2011
Homa Woodrum (NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moomin's Little Book of Words (Board book)
I enjoyed Moomin's Little Book of Numbers so much that I purchased this one as well. It has the same great construction and thick pages. The colors inside are similar to the ones used on the cover and each two page spread features a word on the left with the specific item it references above it and on the opposite page you see Moomintroll (also check out The Book About Moomin, Mymble and Little My and Comet in Moominland (Moomintrolls) if you want to get a good introduction to the world of the Moomins. interacting with it in some way. I have quite a few word books and I really like the reinforcement here with the item featured twice. My almost 3 year old daughter is able to "read" this book to my almost 1 year old son, I think helped in part by the format of the pages.

As I am always curious about the words chosen in these types of books, here's the breakdown, the colors might be useful for practicing colors:

Apple (red on a green page) - Moomintroll is climbing a ladder to pick apples from a tree
Cup (blue on a red page) - Moomintroll is drinking a mug of tea
Flower (pink on a yellow page) - Moomintroll dancing in a field of flowers
Shell (yellow on a blue page) - Moomintroll is looking at shells on the beach
Paint (blue on an orange page) - Moomintroll is painting a wall blue
Book (green on a pink page) - Moomintroll reading a book (I posted a picture of this page)
Moon (yellow on a purple page) - Moomintroll in bed looking out the window at the moon

Both of the Moomin board books end with a night time scene which is good when you're reading these at bedtime. They are simple and cute and though I know it is suggested that babies prefer, and benefit greater from, books with photos I think that it is fun to include some imagination and charming artwork in the mix as well!

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., July 11, 2014
This review is from: Moomin's Little Book of Words (Board book)
I guess I wish I'd known about these books when she was younger. I was hoping I could use it for early sounding-out work, as my 2.5 yo is obsessed with that right now, but there is literally one word per page, and they aren't all appropriate for that level of reader (irregular, don't sound out well, etc). So, too boring to read aloud, too advanced for her to read herself. Boo, because we freaking love the Moomins.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, May 23, 2014
TL (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moomin's Little Book of Words (Board book)
Great little gift, and excellent quality. I love that Moomins are now available in English, too, for my American friends' children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moomin!!, May 5, 2014
Kay (Upstate NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moomin's Little Book of Words (Board book)
I was thrilled to find a board book to introduce my young grandchildren to the charming world of Moomin. Fun!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Meet the Moomins, Learn simple words, December 28, 2013
This review is from: Moomin's Little Book of Words (Board book)
I bought this book used because it is a gift for a family with a two and a three year. The three year old loved the simple pictures and he can read to his brother because of the pictures. Because the boys will be using the book it didn't need to be "brand new."
For an adult reading to a child it could have a few more words and pictures but, for the boys it's perfect for there attention span.
Bright colors too! I know they will love it for their own.
Their Nana

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Book - well designed., December 17, 2013
This review is from: Moomin's Little Book of Words (Board book)
Very pleased with this book for my 19 month old. Good quality board book to add to her library. Used to travel to Finland on business and this is how I learned of the Moomins.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, September 7, 2013
This review is from: Moomin's Little Book of Words (Board book)
I chose these books for my grand children, because my father is from Finland. I wanted to start the babies on something that would encourage reading, but also be something special from their great grandfather's culture. The kids were pleased to have these.

5.0 out of 5 stars My one-year-old great grandson loves it., August 23, 2013
This review is from: Moomin's Little Book of Words (Board book)
The sturdy construction should withstand the abuse my great grandson will put it through. The bright colors and cute pictures delight him.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love the moomins, February 14, 2013
This review is from: Moomin's Little Book of Words (Board book)
tove jansson is a classic children's book writer. i read all of her books when i was a child and love sharing these additional reading tools with my god children. thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun introduction to Moomin and some words..., December 28, 2011
This review is from: Moomin's Little Book of Words (Board book)
My husband and I both love Moomin's Book of Words and my son has enjoyed having it read to him from about 15 months (he's now 20 m.o.). It is among his favorite books to bring to us to read - he loves to point with us and turn the pages. We have a lot of fun with the pictures decribing what Moomin is doing in addition to saying the words. The illustrations are simple and fun with nice bright colors that are appealing to our son but have enough clever details for us to expand on as he gets older.

He now also likes to sit down with it on his own and flip through the pages - he even says apple when on that page. Although, we are fairly certain our son thinks "Moo" is a cow!

We enjoyed so much that we almost immediately got Moomin's Book of Numbers which is also excellent and just got a four pack of mini-board books about Moomintroll, Moominmamma, Momminpappa and Snork Maiden.

I also wanted to mention that the boad books are very well made on high quality cardboard and are holding up beautifully even with lots of rough use by a toddler.

Highly recommend!

Moomin's Little Book of Words
Moomin's Little Book of Words by Tove Jansson (Board book - April 12, 2011)
$5.99 $5.39