Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on October 19, 2011
I previously reviewed the 4-pack for some other solar lights, and decided this time to go with the 8-pack. My dad gave one of these Moonrays Solar Powered Garden Light's to my mom last year and it came time for ME to replace the battery. to be honest, i don't live with my mom, so I don't see her solar light EVERYDAY, but i can assure you I have seen it numerous times lit up leaving dinner. After replacing, I honestly found these work better through the night over a longer period of time.

I decided to do a little research on Wikipedia to find the reason.
These Moonrays batteries are Nicd, on the page it says: "The primary trade-off with NiCd batteries is their higher cost"

But the advantage it says is: "the NiCd battery has a lower self-discharge rate (for example, 10% per month for a NiCd, versus 30% per month for a traditional NiMH under identical conditions"

that means that over time, these batteries will hold their charge longer than others.

The other type of rechargeable batteries are the NiMH batteries, and their page also says: "NiMH cells historically had a somewhat higher self-discharge rate (equivalent to internal leakage) than NiCd cells. This is not a problem in the short term, but makes them unsuitable for many light-duty uses where the battery would normally be expected to last many months or years."

Either way, Moonrays DOES sell NiMh batteries, they're just a bit more expensive than these. These are all the moonrays batteries i've found on amazon.
Moonrays 97125 Rechargeable NiCd AA Batteries for Solar Powered Units, 4 Pack <- same battery as above, but in a 4-pack instead of 8
Moonrays 97143 4-Pack AA NiMh Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Lights, 1500mAh <- NiMh instead of NiCd
Moonrays 97142 4-Pack AA NiMh Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Lights, 1000mAh <- NiMh instead of NiCd
66 comments32 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2013
As most of you know, when you buy the out door solar powered lights, the batteries have a definite half life. I purchased these batteries to replace the ones which came with my lights. I installed them, and even after several days of charging with the solar panals, they did not develop a sufficent charge to light my solar lights. I took them out, and charged them in my multiuse AAA/AA/9V charger. After giving them a full charge, they now work for my solar lights. Like I said, they work, but you may have to depend on an imitial power source, other then your solar panals to get them going.
on May 9, 2012
I put these in my solar lights which are several years old--they turn on at nite very nicely--the price is a great value
on July 1, 2014
I purchased these 3 months ago for my outdoor solar lights. Out of an 8 pack, 3 are no longer working. To me that's an unacceptable failure rate.
on April 26, 2012
Turns out that a couple of my outdoor lights didn't have a battery issue but instead had a problem most likely with the solar charging cell. I replaced the others, which still worked but ran out of power early on, and the new batteries seemed to make the light brighter and last hours longer. Overall I am pleased and the price isn't bad either. I recommend these as replacements and they are 600Mah so that's sufficient enough. I also live in a climate where it snows and these lights have been in the ground for 3 years so take some advice and put them away in the early winter before the snow starts falling. Probably get years more out of them.
on December 29, 2013
I put these in my garden solar lights. They lasted 2 weeks then had to be replaced. I would not buy them again.
on May 11, 2012
I bought 16 of these batteries and 2 of them didn't work out of the package. And now about a month later 3 more have stopped working. What a waste of money. I even wrote to the manufacturer and have never received a reply. Tells you something about this rip-off company. Perhaps if more people didn't purchase these items the company would do something about their defective merchandise. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!! Amazon should stop selling these batteries!!
44 comments5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2015
The batteries don't work. I had them in full sun light for three days and nothing. I am beginning to feel that it's better to go to a local store and buy there. At least I can return them with no hassle. I am beginning to lose faith in Amazon. JDG
on May 6, 2013
Brought my solar powered yard lights back to life. I have to add seven more words to this review which is a waste of my time as I have already said everything that needs to be said.
on April 16, 2012
have been using these batteries since i firts purchased solar landscape lights. they are a good price and have long life