Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Ed Sheeran egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on Tikes

OK, folks here's the deal. I was running low on reading material so I did a search on Amazon for books rated five stars within the horror genre, hopeful of finding a hidden gem that has eluded me so far. This book popped up with six five star reviews, and it appeared to feature vampires versus werewolves with ancient Eastern Europe as the setting. That all sounded pretty darn good so I swapped some electronic money with Amazon and two days later here it was. What a waste.

Before you dismiss me as a crank on the versus of six votes to one, check out my other reviews. This is my 128th review on Amazon and only the second time I have dealt out a one star review. I only write a bad review when I absolutely feel like I have to warn others not to waste their money on the basis of misleading advertising. The writing in the book is so awful that I staggered through twenty pages and then couldn't stand it any more. Every noun has at least two or three adjectives and every verb has an equal number of adverbs. Mr. Nugent is perhaps the worst example I've seen in years of the writer who tells rather than shows. Frankly, I am not sure if there is a plot in this book or not, I simply couldn't get that far, when the first twenty pages of deeply inept characterization kept throwing out lines like "a thing of beauty, of power, of deep emotion. A thing of gentle, tender kindness." Twenty pages of that stuff. A good writer doesn't build characters by shoveling drivel like that at his readers. He builds characters by showing the readers the protagonist engaged in acts which display his beauty, or his power, or his kindness. The mantra "actions speak louder than words" is even truer for writers than for others.

This appears to be a self-published book with little or no editing and some reviews by friends or family. I hate giving a bad review but in all conscience I felt cheated when I got this after I had read the other reviews on here. This is a book which, with it's simplicity, could perhaps appeal to a younger reader in the under 13 age bracket. I don't think any literate, discerning adult reader could get much farther than I did with this one so save your money and order some horror from Dan Simmons or someone of his caliber.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2005
This is one of the best books I have read in a while! Even from the begining there are enough twist and turns to keep even the most action demanding reader entertained! The story line is very well developed, which is another element that makes this book great. The authors use of words make the story and characters very detailed, which makes this very enjoyable to read! This is a book you definetly will not want to put down! Congrats to Rusty Nugent for making such a great book!
on November 23, 2012
I read for enjoyment and I enjoyed what I read. I only read preview pages but in doing so, my interest was caught. Some of the more flowery words need to come down a notch and be shown in action. I have no complaints about the story line and where it is leading the reader. If you read for the joy of reading, I would suggest you sample Moonwarriors. It has a new take on an old theme of werewolves and vampires.Moonwarriors
on July 13, 2005
This is a novel that you just can't put down. From beginning to end it keeps you enthralled. Brilliantly written in everyway possible. The tale of Walter Volknor and his comrades is amazing. This is by far the best fantasy novel I have read for some time. If your fascination is werewolves versus vampires, then look no further! Moonwarriors will take your imagination on an adventure that you will never forget. It is definately a MUST READ!
on July 12, 2005
This book is fabulous for any one who loves werewolves, fantasy thrillers, or a good story of love and friendship. Rusty Nugent's writing style is amazing. His ability to use discriptive words and draw out the characters' real passion makes them feel as real the reader. From start to finish the book is fantastic and will keep the reader hooked. A must for any creatures of the night fan
on April 18, 2005
If you are interested in reading an outstanding Novel that will absolutely delight you from beginning to end,you have to get this one ...It will not disappoint you for within its pages are everything you could ask for :Werewolves,Vampires,Adventure,Love,Betrayal,Honor,Chivilary,Days of Old,Heroic Battles and of course mature sexual content... You will find yourself so involved with the main character, Walter Volknor, and his friends that you will feel as if you connect with them in some way,the story truly pulls you in as it unfolds and keeps you hanging on to find out what will happen next...Superbly well written in every way, a must have ...

I love to read but the Novel has to be one that I would consider to be of a unique,enticing,enchanted quality from the first time I glance at its pages and begin reading the first chapter until I reach the final words at the end...It hasnt failed my first impressions of it yet and keeps my mind hooked for more...
on November 8, 2009
First of all, I'm surprised that I haven't already written a review for this book. This is definitely a page turner filled with lots of emotion and action. What a roller coaster ride! If you are a fan of the age old battles of werewolves versus vampires, then this is a must read. It is so easy to get hooked on the characters Walter and Mary Volknor along with Stytentos. After finishing this book, I was left wanting more. Rusty Nugent has put a new spin on the werewolf versus vampire stories with the telling of this tale.
on December 15, 2004
Lovers of werewolf and vampire lore, you are about to embark on an adventure like no other. I was hooked from the beginning to the end. This is a juggernaut of a book. It takes two of the most famous monster legends of werewolves and vampires and clashes them together. The wording is imaginative and descriptive and doesn't bore you in the slow moments of the story. The characters are strong and extremely well developed. There are werewolf and vampire transformations all through the book with plenty of lycanthrope vs nosferatu action.

Moonwarriors is the story of Walter Volknor, a young werewolf farmer who witnesses his family's slaughter at the hands of master vampire Avatar and his underlings. Heavily influenced by his father's teachings of honor and good and evil, he sets out to annihilate not only Avatar but the entire undead evil vampire race. Along the way, the mighty Lycanthrope battles corrupt kings, demons, evil werewolves, sorcerers, and zombies (called ghouls in the novel). During his many journeys he meets other heroic werewolves that join him in the crusade.

I felt exhausted like I had lived the main character's life. I've never read anything like it. I was left wanting more. I really enjoyed the steamy sex scenes. If you are fascinated with werewolves and vampires, you will love this book. Not for those under 16 due to mature sexual content and graphic violence.

Mr. Nugent has written a great tragedy.
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2005
First of all, I am truly happy to know "Moonwarriors" author Rusty Nugent and just by getting to know him, I could tell this would be a very compelling and compassionate book. I loved the book to pieces. I thought the characters were very strong and I especially like the fact that he introduced us to a very strong heroine, Mary. I could not put the book down. I wanted it to go on so I could read as to what happens to the surviving characters but look forward to his next novel. Anyone who wants to read a really awesome book about Werewolves vs. Vampires, pick this one up. It will be worth the time.
on June 9, 2006
By AL J. Vermette: Publisher & Editor of Werewolf Magazine & Blood Moon Rising Horror Magazine.

In the sub genre of horror fiction the werewolf has seen many new tales told over the last few years. One such novel Moonwarriors stands out among others of its kind for its author Rusty Nugent has a storng passion for the creatures that he writes about.

When band of vampires invade the home of a family of peace loving werewolves they kill all but one. He is Walter Volknor and he sets out on a one wolf crusade to find and kill the evil lord of the undead Avatar. Along the way others with the same powers as he will join him in his quest and together they will rid the world of the nosferatu.

Nusty Nugent's writing is fast and clean as he tells his tale with the skill of a master writer, a la King and brings the reader into his world and holds them there until the very last page.

For fans of Werewolves and vampires this book is a must and unlike the movie Underworld with the same creatures at war there are many hand to hand battles of the two creatures in their fight to kill eachother

AL J. Vermette: Werewolf Magazine/Blood Moon Rising