Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL

on August 7, 2010
I love the idea of being able to make your favorite foods at home. I often try to re-create my favorite restaurant meals at home. I was very excited when I purchased this book, but the recipes were a bit of a let down. The food was good, but it didn't taste exactly the same as it does in the restaurant. I have found that the recipes are a good starting point, and that once I play with the ingredients, I usually get a good dish. For example, I had to change some of the proportions in the Chicken Saltimboca to get it to taste more similar to the restaurant dish. The other thing that was a bit of a disappointment was that a lot of the recipes seem pretty generic. For example, the Golden Corral roll recipe is a recipe I've seen several times. I was hoping for recipes that represented the restaurants' uniqueness better.
on December 1, 2010
So far I've made 8 of the recipes from this book and they were all a big hit. I'm amazed at how close they come to the restaurant version. Some of my favorites from the book are:

* Applebee's Deadly Chocolate Sin
* Pizzeria Uno Chicago Classic Deep Dish Pizza
* Shoney's Country Fried Steak
* T.G.I. Friday's Spicy Cajun Chicken Pasta
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 1, 2010
This cookbook brings recipes from popular restaurants to the cooks at home. Ron Douglas says they are under $10, but sometimes that is $10 a serving per person.
For some the introductory sections can be confusing; one is titled Time saving ideas and another Cost-cutting ideas. So in 4 pages you'll be told to go to a butcher and go to a large warehouse to buy meat. To cut costs get a whole chicken and cut it up, but then to save time spend the extra money on bagged prepared salad greens - certainly less time to cut up than a chicken. After reading this some people might not know what to do?
There are some very good recipes in here, including a baked corned beef brisket, good and different from the usual use of briskets for corned beef and cabbage. Probably the 2 most famous recipes included are Outback Steakhouse's bloomin' onion and Pepperidge Farm's Milano cookies.
Included are recipes from A&W, Applebee's, Benihana, Chi-chi's, Chili's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Macaroni Grill and Sonic Drive-in among others.

These are not the easiest recipes in the world to make, but a cook of average ability could do them. Many are fried or cooked in oil, but they are taste proven and not impossible to make.
on October 29, 2010
At first glance I was very excited about this book, but after reading it more closely, not so much. As someone else has already pointed out, although the recipes claim to be under $10, it's per serving, which is far different. For the seafood recipes, for example, I think I'd rather just pay the extra $5 and eat out! Also, what this cookbook REALLY needs is nutritional information. Many, many of the recipes involve frying or prodigious amounts of fat. Of course, that's why they taste so good, but I'd like to know going in if my under-$10 serving is over-1000 calories. Hopefully he'll add calorie, fat, carb and protein counts to his next book.

All in all, it's a nice addition to my cookbook collection, and it contains enough variety that I'll get some use out of it, but I'm thinking that most of these recipes will be an occasional treat, simply because of the caloric/fat content. If nothing else, reading the ingredient lists has made me decide not to eat a lot of my favorite restaurant dishes!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2013
I love all his books, copycats recipes are the best and so real to the real recipe of the places . You won't be sorry ,A great book thanks ,Joyce Lehman
on March 20, 2014
We own three books in this series and there are enough good recipies in each volume that they have become go-to cookbooks for us. Duplicates the intended recipes closely for the ones we have tried.
on May 4, 2015
This series is not (in my opinion) as good as the Todd Wilbur Top Secret series. If you already have the TSR series these make good books, if not I would by the TSR books first.
on February 18, 2013
I was a little disappointed to find that these recipes arn't the "real" thing, as the author states in his Preface. They are what he calls as close as he could get.
on July 23, 2013
I bought this book as a gift and gave it away. I am not sure how the food taste but have heard of no complaints.
on November 20, 2013
My family loves all the recipes that are in this book. Its a very complete recipe book all must have.