Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 10, 2013
This book is honest and will make you chuckle at times. It's more than just a guide for curvy women. It captures the real day to day challenges we all face with confidence. Although I am a non curvy man, I still found myself cheering her on as she shared some of her more vulnerable struggles and solutions, not just with being curvy but, with being confident. You could pretty much substitute the word "curvy" with about anything- "short", "tall", "Skinny", "Multi-colored", or whatever your "curvy" issue is. This book is worth the read. I think it has the potential to open the eyes of many and help break down the walls of judgment and bullying. You can't help but to cheer her on.
on July 25, 2013
I'm married, but I've worried about my weight for as long as I can remember. And this book is a wonderful way to start learning how to accept yourself. I may not need to get dates, but it was still fun to read, and very helpful in the self-esteem department. I recommend this book to every woman, especially if you struggle with confidence! Great read!
on July 26, 2013
Terrific book! Just filled with wonderful information. My daughter read it and gave it to me, we both loved it. Wish I could have found this kind of advice years ago. A must read for not only curvy girls, but all girls.
on August 6, 2013
Get More Dates Than Your Skinny Friends is a must read. I read this book while sitting on the beach and loved every minute of it. It is full of tips for confidence that will work for anyone. The writing is positive and you will walk away from reading this book with ideas that will apply to all aspects of your life. I highly recommend you pick up and start reading this book.
on March 26, 2015
Rated it in the middle. I think it's great she's tackling self-confidence, but she's also downplaying serious issues and not reporting accurate science.

I do not disagree with and I even applaud her effort to boost big girls' self-confidence. No one should feel bad.

I do disagree with her contention that her weight problem somehow was unavoidable. I also want to point out, I am only calling it a problem because she did. Not trying to make anyone feel bad here.

Here is her quote from the intro of the book:

"I've also had Lap-Band surgery, a medical procedure that creates a smaller stomach pouch and severely restricts the kinds of food I can eat. Despite the fact that I only consume half of what I used to, I'm still curvy!

Now I'm being told by dieticians that I'm curvy because I don't eat enough. I have also been told that if I'm hardly eating, it must be because of my thyroid--except that it's been tested six times, and is fine. A sugar allergy became the next possible culprit, so I went through acupuncture allergy cleansing. It fixed my allergies to grasses but not my fat."

Sugar and non-fibrous foods are the greatest causes of modern obesity. The author was likely told to address her sugar-eating habits, not overcome an "allergy" to sugar. Because every person alive has an "allergy" to sugar, if taken in high enough doses. Just like alcohol; it's harmless in small doses for almost all of the population, but it doesn't take much to get alcohol poisoning. You're not going to get "sugar poisoning" in the sense you get alcohol poisoning. Sugar is like cigarettes; it adds weight (and other health problems) over time. Putting needles in your body is not going to help your body process sugar differently; it is not going to alleviate the "allergy." If it is a legitimate allergy, it isn't going to just cause fat; it's going to cause a lot of other health problems, including swollen or sensitive throat and tongue.

And it's not just sugar; it's processed foods that don't have fiber. Did you know sugar-free corn flakes digest as quickly as sugar and that it causes your body to over-produce insulin (which triggers fat cell storage and makes you feel like you're still hungry)? People will think they are eating some great healthy thing, but they may as well be literally eating sugar. But people think it a "healthy" meal, just for a lack of sugar. But it isn't.

I am just saying this because maybe you, as with the author, were duped by bad science (paid for by Coca Cola, by the way) into thinking that you cannot possibly look healthy, and that you were "born to be curvy." There is nothing at all wrong with curvy if that is what you really want; I am just in disagreement with the author that she HAS to be curvy, and that she's blaming a non-existent "sugar allergy" for the problem. If you're going to choose to be curvy, be honest about it, or else that defeats the whole "confidence" thing. A person can't be a liar and really be confident, and that's why I didn't rate the book higher. I am not rating curvy women, I am rating the author's integrity.

Love yourself, don't lie to yourself. People care for the things they love, and you deserve care. And accurate information.
on August 26, 2013
Simply a wonderfully written guide to feeling good about yourself. There is more than just a talented writer here. Kat Bacon is a survivor, and as such, she imparts her experiences and advice in entertaining prose for everyone who feels held back by their physique. Excellent writing. Excellent advice. Excellent choice for your next reading assignment!
on July 31, 2013
This is a book for somebody who wants ideas that work, not ideas that should work. By listening to Kat Bacon you can't help but have more confidence and wind up with dates with guys that you never would have looked at before.
on August 23, 2013
I have to first say this is not the type of book I would normally read. I saw the cover, thought it looked cute and decided to give it a shot. I'm glad I did. Seeing a woman's point of view on things is always interesting to a man. But the truth is, this book was about more than just dating, it was about building one's self confidence, which makes it a great read for anybody. Throughout the book, Ms. Bacon at times made you laugh and at other times share in her struggles, but the entire time the book was well written and easily flowed. Nice job. Highly recommended.
on August 25, 2013
First of all, I have to say that I bought this book because a friend recommended it to me - and that I am not curvy. But I have always worried about my weight - which is why I love this book. What this book is all about is loving yourself and finding the inner confidence to let that special person you are shine through. I highly recommend this book, with its clear, straight forward approach, its simple guidelines and easy 'things to do' that we can all learn from, no matter what size we are!
So if you have ever worried about your looks or felt like you wished you could just change that one thing to look better (and haven't we all?), this book is for you.
on July 18, 2013
I couldn't wait to receive my copy of this book and I couldn't put it down once I received it! What I love most about the book is how it feels like I'm listening to a girlfriend tell me about her experiences! It's a fun book to read and keeps your interest all the way through! I agree with the other reviews, this book is not just for "curvy" women, anyone who reads it will benefit from it! I'll be buying this book as a gift for several of my friends, skinny and curvy!