5.0 out of 5 stars The best version yet...
I have my uncle's copy of the original reissue (on loan), the 1996 reissue, and I recently got this one. Comparing the original to the 1996 showed me that the 1996 edition was indeed a fine reissue. However, this new reissue completely destroys both of them.
Published on November 5, 2001 by Casey Newbold - Kerr

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best.
I was a little disheartened to realize that there are multiple tracks of the same songs on these two disks. Not the best purchase for the money even if it is the original band.
Published 1 month ago by Barb

5.0 out of 5 stars The best version yet..., November 5, 2001
Casey Newbold - Kerr (Melbourne, Australia.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One More From the Road (Audio CD)
The packaging is incredible (so beautiful that you have to see it to fully appreciate it), the sound quality is absolutely outstanding (the 1996 reissue was very hissy and wasn't as "warm" as this), and the bonus tracks are extremely cool.
When I first picked my copy up, I thought I was stupid for spending all that money (in Australian dollars it's a bit on the expensive side) on an album that I already had. Sure, I thought the bonus tracks would have been nice, but I didn't think the sound quality or packaging could get any better than the 1996 release. Well, as soon as I opened it up and saw that the way the cover was done, and when I saw the cool crowd photo inside, I knew that I had made the right decision by buying it.
The sound quality is so good because it was remastered from the original masters and remixed on vintage equipment (tube-based, I'd assume, which would explain the "warm" feeling that these CDs have). Who did the remixing? Skynyrd's original live sound engineer. Also, if you have the 1996 version you'd know that during "Gimme Three Steps" the sound dies on one channel. Well, that's gone now! Although that may seem minor, it was an annoying glitch that took away from the album.
Extra audience response and speech have also been added to this new reissue, making it more like being at a Skynyrd concert than ever. Remember how Ronnie makes a "grrrrr" noise before "Tuesday's Gone"? We now find out that he did that because the piano broke. Little things like that really do make you feel like you're at the Fox Theatre in 1976.
The bonus tracks are outstanding. In fact, some of them are as good as -- if not better than -- the cuts that were used on the album. That's my opinion; you can be the judge if you buy this. The album cut of "Free Bird" actually contained a solo later overdubbed by Allen Collins. Because the original master for that wasn't available, we instead get the original version. The "Free Bird" solo on this is actually BETTER than the overdubbed one. Sure, there are a few mistakes, but it sounds more "authentic" than the overdubbed version. And it's a bit like having an extra bonus track because it's the first time we've heard it.
If you've been thinking, "I already have the other reissue -- it'd be a waste to buy this one," then you'd better think again! For any Skynyrd fan, this is an essential purchase, and if you aren't a Skynyrd fan but want to get into this great band, then this is even more essential. You just won't find a better Lynyrd Skynyrd album than the deluxe edition of "One More From The Road."
FLY HIGH, FREE BIRD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Remastered Live Album, November 28, 2001
This review is from: One More From the Road (Audio CD)
Lynyrd Skynyrd released four studio albums prior to the release of this record and they were all outstanding. But as good as they were in the studio, Skynyrd really showed their chops on the road. Shortly after the release of their first record they toured as an opening act for The Who and did the unthinkable by actually blowing them off the stage. One More From The Road was released in late '76 and it captures all of their power and fury. For the tour they added guitarist Steve Gaines to the mix of Allen Collins and Garry Rossington bringing back the triple lead guitar attack that made them famous. Bolstered by Artimus Pyle's drumming, Billy Powell's boogie-woogie piano and Leon Wiliknson's steady bass, the band provides the firm backing for frontman Ronnie Van Zant's whiskey-soaked vocals. Standout tracks include the powerful "Workin' For MCA", the furious "Saturday Night Special", "Tuesday Gone", the rollicking "Call Me The Breeze" and of course their two most notable songs, "Sweet Home Alabama" and the flick your lighter on arena rock classic "Free Bird". This is a remastered deluxe edition that has several different live versions of songs and the original packaging including the original liner notes by a young Rolling Stone writer named Cameron Crowe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic rock doesn't get much more classic than this, January 5, 2003
This review is from: One More From the Road (Audio CD)
One More From The Road could be up there with the great live rock albums. It's the only live document of the original (pre-plane crash) Lynyrd Skynyrd band and the only one you'd need. The band is on fire for this July 1976 performance. They run through the best known songs from their first four albums (Gimme Three Steps, Tuesday's Gone, Simple Man, Sweet Home Alabama, Saturday Night Special, Gimme Back My Bullets, Workin' For MCA, etc). The performances leave nothing to be desired. The highlight of this collection, for me at least, is the awesome version of T For Texas. If you think Free Bird rocks, check out the guitar interplay on this song. Wow! The version of Free Bird is very good also, but supposedly contains a guitar part overdubbed by Allen Collins. I usually frown on tampering with live material like that. I'd rather hear the original undoctored performance. I was less impressed with the cover of Crossroads, which is basically a remake of Cream's version. The guitarists seem to be trying too hard to recreate Eric Clapton's solo, but they do an admirable job.
This is a great album which any hard rock fan should own and anyone with even a passing interest in Lynyrd Skynyrd too. The newer Deluxe Edition would be the best choice to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest LIVE album......, July 2, 2005
A. Koncelik "amkon4" (Grass Lake, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One More From the Road (Audio CD)
Lynyrd Skynyrd is probably the best American rock band that have ever recorded. Still can't figure out why they are not in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.

One More From The Road was always a great live album. The BEST live album just got better. It captured Skynyrd at their peak it July 76. Steve Gaines was still pretty new to the band, but he kick started something special that tragically would end shortly in that terrible plane crash.

I can't say enough about this album. I have owned it in every format - 2LP vinyl, cassette, the original single CD, the remastered 20th anninversary 2CD (which I thought was so awesome, BUT to put an alternate SHA in the middle didn't make sense. You have 2 SHA in the set) , then the Deluxe double CD. I was totally blown away by this one. The sound and mix is unbelievable. Who would have thought that a live concert from 76 could sound so amazing. Advances in recordings and mixing have come a long way. I compared the sound to my other OMFTR CD's and this by far blows them away.

Skynyrd's setlist was white hot. They literally smoked on every track. You can actually feel the energy of their performance coming through on this CD, something which only a select few groups can do. The addtion of Ronnie Van Zant's between song talking is such a great treat. Allen Collins, Gary Rossington, Steve Gaines were cooking up something great during their run at the Fox. Artimus Pyle shines with drumming on this and Billy Powell's piano is just too perfect. Leon Wilkeson tasty bass lines are just phenomenal. These boys came to play and show the world that Skynyrd kicks butt.

The setlist is a best of Skynyrd. Powerful , rockin' and high energy. This is the way Rock & Roll should be. You will find no better live versions of Skynyrd classics(MCA, SHA, SNS, Freebird) and some great covers(T For Texas , Crossroads). MCA did an outstanding job of putting the tracklist back to the original concert running order. Everything flows magically. The alternate versions on disc 2 are awesome. It is great to hear the differences on the songs such as SHA, Freebird , 3 Steps between the nights they played there.

I recommend this Deluxe CD to anyone who is a fan of Rock & Roll and any fan of Skynyrd. Even a casual fan will be amazed that Skynyrd has this kind of energy and magic on this CD. You can't go wrong .

Long live Lynyrd Skynyrd

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best American Live Album Ever....., November 16, 2003
"The Woj" (Downers Grove, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One More From the Road (Audio CD)
Across the Atlantic you have The Who's "Live At Leeds" & The Stones "Get Your Ya-Ya's Out"; but here in the good ole USA, there is only one band that has ever recorded a live album to rival their British counterparts overseas. Yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Ronnie Van Zant was one of the best front men on the planet...add a triple "mule" guitar attack, a killer rhythm section, 150% kick your @ss attitude and this album is the result. No need to get into specific songs, just let me say they have never sounded better. Plus you have 2 discs worth with the Deluxe release.
If you can put all the retreaded "greatest hits" releases in the back of you mind, you will never grow tired of this album. My only minor beef is the mixing of the guitars. Rossington's guitar is front and center; considerably louder in the mix than Collins (left channel) & Gaines (right channel). There are times when Gaines' guitar is barely audible. It is not until "T For Texas" we can really here Gaines with any volume.
I remember back in the 70's a friend of mine saying the Eagles were the best American band ever. Ha...Skynyrd is the Eagles on Jack Daniels & steroids....no comparison. Add to cart now, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Allmans apples, Skynyrd oranges, June 6, 2007
Edvis (Parts Unknown) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One More From the Road (Audio CD)
This is Skynyrd at their peak, I will argue this was the best rock band on the planet at the moment this album was recorded.

I could partake in the Allman v. Skynyrd argument for eternity. I'm a Sourthern musician myself, and I think there's room for both bands and both albums (as well as many of their other works) in any collection.

I find it intriguing that the aforementioned Skynyrd ripper listed later Black Crowes and Widespread Panic albums as better than Skynyrd live; the "Allman wannabe" label is a much better fit for those latter-day jam bands. All the guitar players I've ever known (including Al Kooper, who I don't know but who I respect the hell out of, considering his pedigree) thought the Skynyrd axe men were very progressive for their day.

The Allman-Skynyrd comparison is apt only from 10,000 feet. Yes, they came from the same area, and many of the influences were similar. But Skynyrd followed the more modern English blues-rock paradigm (see: Cream, Free), and they were more of a pop-song-type band (in the gunslinging, Allmans tradition, of course).

I would even venture to say that Skynyrd followed in the Allmans' footsteps. Indeed, Brother Duane is up there with Hendrix, methinks, and I find the Allmans' work during his lifetime unimpeachable and some of the best modern music ever made.

It gets iffy for both bands after their key members passed. Skynyrd was poised to become even bigger and better with the addition of Steve Gaines -- listen to the guitar work on "Street Survivors." And Ronnie Van Zant knew what the hell he was doing. Meanwhile, everyone knows what happened to Greg and Co. after Duane's untimely death. (I think I sense a pattern here.)

I saw both bands in the space of a year in '75-'76 (including all 3 nights at Fox for Skynyrd), and there was no comparison at that point. Allman biographer Scott Freeman considers that '75 Allman tour to be the band's nadir, and the Skynyrd boys were going for the gold about 9 months later.

I don't think any other Southern band has come close since then. . .

5.0 out of 5 stars One More From the Road "is a true classic!!", May 19, 2002
Gif (Bay Area , California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One More From the Road (Audio CD)
This live CD really gets rollin from the very first song "Workin' for MCA" Which reveals just how tight this traveling band was, also highlighting the truly gifted Steve Gains on lead guitar, the newest member. As Workin' for MCA starts to end on its last note the beginning of "I Ain't the One" Starts up bringing you another great catchy rock song, again showing off one of the bands gifted guitarist. The CD continues to showcase the three guitarists of the band not fogetting to mention the crowd pleasing riffs played by the piano player or the bass player who endlessly plays a blues southern hopping bsss . As the CD plays on you will find most of the songs very melodic and most undoubtably finding yourself shuffeling your feet to the rythmic music of the Lynyrd Skynyrd band. The band plays their most popular songs like their anthem for the southern people "Sweet Home Alabama" following with the foot stompin' song "Gimmie Three Steps". Next the band does a remake of a song written originaly by J.J. Cale Called "Call Me the Breeze" Which has a piano solo in the song played by Billy Powell(I believe that it is by far the greatest acustic piano solo in all of rock n roll period!). And of course the most popular version heard on the radio the rock anthem "Free Bird" I give the CD 5 stars becauee you can play it over and over again and never get tired of the CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the ESSENTIAL LYNYRD SKYNYRD RECORDING!, September 22, 2001
This review is from: One More From the Road (Audio CD)
The original studio recordings are great but this is what made me a fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd. These live recordings have never sounded better(explained in the accompanying booklet) and what a package! These discs cover the three nights that Skynyrd played the Fox Theater Atlanta, Georgia. This package blows away the reissue from 1996. From the Intro to Freebird, the original release is resequenced with songs not found on the previous reissue and followed by a bonus "concert" made of eight additional recordings - three previously unreleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Live album I've ever heard..., April 18, 2006
This review is from: One More From the Road (Audio CD)
Lynyrd Skynyrd was at their best in this live album.

Steve Gaines was a great addition to the guitar lineup.

His talent put Skynyrd on a brighter pathway and I recommend that you get the Street Survivors CD.

Steve wrote and sang several songs on it.

It just makes me sick to think about what could have been from Lynyrd Skynyrd if the plane crash had not occured.

We miss you...Ronnie, Steve, Allen, and Leon I hope all of you are re-united in heaven.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE LYNYRD SKYNYRD BIBLE !, July 31, 2006
ol' nuff n' den sum (the Virginia coast, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One More From the Road (Audio CD)
This is sacred ground for Lynyrd Skynyrd fans. An historical document, this is the real deal by the real thing. Forget "best ofs", "essentials", "greatest hits", whatever. If you want one Skynyrd album, and only one, THIS IS IT! This is the people's band, playing their best loved songs for the people. On southern soil (Atlanta, Ga.). The essence of everything Lynyrd Skynyrd is, was or will be. Most of these songs sound better than their studio counterparts. I've always preferred this version of "Free Bird" (much more emotional than the also great studio version). Ronnie Van Zant is at his best, and with the addition of guitarist Steve Gaines, this is the band at it's peak, and in it's element. Don't miss this one!

One More From the Road
One More From the Road by Lynyrd Skynyrd (Audio CD - 2001)
Rate and Discover Movies